Lower voting age to 16?

tomloudon

Lower voting age to 16?

Post by tomloudon »

Who in their right minds thinks these things up, oh yes politicians that want an impressionable persons vote. ok lets say you lower it to 16, now change the drinking and marijuana consumption age to 16, change the age that children can be tried as an adult in criminal court, Omar Khadre was old enough to be an enemy combatant, 16 year olds are old enough to join the military and go to war. Children at the age of 16 are to be considered adults and able to vote is ridiculous.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#266900
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 27th, 2019, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Lower voting age to 16?

Post by Jlabute »

It is all for the sake of a single issue as well, Climate Change. Scientists have already spoken that these climate activists, teachers, adults, and media who encourage children to strike, and claim the world will end in 10 years (let alone 100 years) "Do not get it at all! - James Hansen". They have absolutely no clue what they are doing and therefore should not get an ear. Even if they had an ear, they are insisting on "System Change" which won't happen anyways. If children want to vote because they have been indoctrinated by leftist teachers, then for sure they should not be allowed to vote until they have experienced the real world a few years after graduation.

The UBCM is totally out of touch with science and reality.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

absolutely it should be lowered.

most 16 year old's are significantly more intelligent than most adults. Don't start the they don't have life experience BS cause they have way more than the old *bleep* did when they were 16 and being hippies

The old farts are scared, that is the problem.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 27th, 2019, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 27th, 2019, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

How about anyone 16 to 18 you have to produce a T4 slip
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Sep 27th, 2019, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 27th, 2019, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

jimmy4321 wrote:How about anyone 16 to 18 you have to produce a T4 slip

ridiculous

I know many young folk that volunteer and are probably better humans than most posters
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 27th, 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting. Making it personal
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They could possibly be more intelligent than many posters but that doesn't make them smart enough to vote!

They don't look up from their phones long enough to know what's happening around them!

Also what makes anyone think enough of them would vote and make a difference. I have asked many of voting age if they voted in the last election and all I get is a blank stare and then "Why?"
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Most high school graduates are more intelligent than a lot of adults, evidence abounds. The youth also have a vested interest in politics today, because their future just might depend on it. I don’t care if climate change is human caused or a natural cycle; I think it is pretty clear to most people it is happening and just maybe it is something we should be taking more seriously. Better to be prepared for a disaster that doesn’t happen than to not prepare and deny a threat that very well could (and a carbon tax does not prepare us for anything). That all being said, I believe the current voting age of 18 is good enough, especially appropriate if they have graduated high school.

p.s. If I was the king of the world (and I know some of you out there are so glad that I am not) I would make high school graduation mandatory for everyone. Not everyone is an academic so there could be a vocational stream as well. Everyone would also take courses in civics, health and financial management, and physical education would once again be part of the curriculum (I wonder how much we “saved” by cutting out physical education from the curriculum arguably to be replaced by an obesity crisis).

p.s.s. Robot trucks? Very scary.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Bsuds wrote:They could possibly be more intelligent than many posters but that doesn't make them smart enough to vote!

Some of those folk not smart enough to vote don't bother getting any smarter as they age.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

it really boggles my mind how so many think youth shouldn't get to vote.

Christ don't prisoner's get to?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:They could possibly be more intelligent than many posters but that doesn't make them smart enough to vote!

Ka-El wrote:Some of those folk not smart enough to vote don't bother getting any smarter as they age.

I think some actually go in the other direction.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

But youth do get to vote. At the age of 18. They are still youth then. Why you want children to vote is completely different.

These kids aren't "striking" and other activities because they are politically minded and in touch with the world around them, they do it because some adult told them too. Get realistic, that's not where the vote should be.

Heck I could stand outside a voting station and offer $500 to every kid 16-17 that proves they voted for the conservatives and you'd see that green "save the world" vote evaporate by 80%. Heck that would like still work with the 18-25 demographic as well. They aren't principled they just like cutting class and pretending they are part of the group.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”