It's heeereee – Flu season

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Poll: do you get the shot?

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote:Sure, my whole family gets the shot ... haven't had the flu in years ... and it's not due to good living ...

I've never got the shot, also never had the flu. So my immune system is doing its job just fine.

washing ones hands is a very good idea
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: It's heeereee – Flu season

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2019/aspc-phac/HP40-198-2018-eng.pdf

70% of seniors received the shot - good for them on taking precautions - no one wants to suffer in the hospital and how easy it is if a simple vaccine can prevent a visit.

ya sure and are govt never lies to us, more fake news
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:ya sure and are govt never lies to us, more fake news

You seem to be fascinated with "fake news" yet I did post a news item regarding children who died in Ontario. Thinking that's fake news is doing those families a disservice.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here's last years stats.

Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

I know more people who have almost died from an allergic reaction to the shot as opposed to dying from the flu.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Surprised those didn't hit the news - I'm sure they would have had to attend emergency for treatment.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

I love the holier-than-thou commenters on here that got the shot and think everybody is an idiot that doesn't get it. Just because you drink the Kool-Aid doesn't mean everybody else is. And tone down your condescending attitude. You don't know everything . And to those people look up how superbugs are formed
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And here's a warning from a Calgary resident:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4862280/calg ... nizations/

A Calgary man says he’s lucky to be alive after spending more than 20 days last month in a medically induced coma.

Brad Kettyle, 43, had no underlying health conditions when H1N1 flu brought him to death’s door.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

From Jan. this year.

Flu season hitting Okanagan kids hard
This year’s H1N1 virus is particularly virulent and is affecting younger adults and children. In the Interior Health Region, 50 children under 10 have been hospitalized this season, compared to just 9 in the last H1N1 flu season three years ago.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4840643/flu ... kids-hard/

From 2016

Numerous care facilities in the Okanagan dealing with flu outbreaks
The flu is running rampant throughout residential care facilities in the Okanagan and surrounding area. On Wednesday it was reported that 12 seniors have died so far this season after falling ill. That number has now risen to 15. As Klaudia Van Emmerik reports, numerous facilities with outbreaks are now on lockdown desperately trying to reduce the number of people getting sick.

https://globalnews.ca/video/3152579/num ... -outbreaks
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

common_sense_guy wrote:I love the holier-than-thou commenters on here that got the shot and think everybody is an idiot that doesn't get it. Just because you drink the Kool-Aid doesn't mean everybody else is. And tone down your condescending attitude. You don't know everything . And to those people look up how superbugs are formed

There's been no "holier-than-thou commenters" here. I don't love the misinformation being spread by those that don't believe in vaccinations. And I don't love the fact that there are those people who get the flu and still go out in public to spread it around - that is idiocy.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't and very rarely get the flu, though I've had the flu younger, to my memory i usually feel like it's coming on but it's like it fails to take if that makes sense.

Anyway, I got nothing against it and probably will in the future. Also what's it hurt if you have underlying conditions like heart disease etc. to get it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

rookie314 wrote:I know more people who have almost died from an allergic reaction to the shot as opposed to dying from the flu.

Interesting.

I do not know or have had in my circle of friends and their friends anyone who has had more than a small reaction to a flu shot.

But on the other hand I also have heard or know of anyone who has died from the flu.

I do know and have heard of many who have had the flu and regretted not getting the shot if it would have stopped or made the sickness milder than what it was.

Myself and my family get the shot but that is me because I have medical issues and my Dr. highly recommends the vaccine.

I trust his judgement.

I have never had more than a sore arm after getting the shot and I don't remember the last time I got the flu so I guess it works/helps.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

rookie314 wrote:I know more people who have almost died from an allergic reaction to the shot as opposed to dying from the flu.

Care to expand and share these examples?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Misconceptions about Flu Vaccines

Can a flu vaccine give you the flu?
No, flu vaccines cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines given with a needle (i.e., flu shots) are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu viruses that have been ‘inactivated’ (killed) and that therefore are not infectious, or b) using only a single gene from a flu virus (as opposed to the full virus) in order to produce an immune response without causing infection. This is the case for recombinant influenza vaccines.

What about serious reactions to flu vaccine?
Serious allergic reactions to flu vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it is usually within a few minutes to a few hours after the vaccination. While these reactions can be life-threatening, effective treatments are available.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/misconceptions.htm
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Flu Vaccine Myths
British Columbia Specific Information

Influenza, also called the flu, is an infection of the upper airway caused by an influenza virus. Symptoms can include fever, headache, runny nose, sore throat, or cough. Every year there is a period of time where there are more outbreaks of the flu, this is called flu season. Flu season generally occurs during the fall, winter and early spring. The influenza vaccines protect against the viruses that cause influenza. To learn more about the flu and the flu vaccines, and to access flu-related information from your health authority, visit our Influenza (Flu) Season health feature.

Topic Overview
Many people choose not to have the influenza vaccine because of myths they believe about the disease or the vaccine.

Myth: Influenza is a minor illness.

Truth: Influenza and its complications caused approximately 3,500 deaths each year in Canada.

Myth: The vaccine causes the flu.

Truth: You can't get the flu by having a flu shot. The flu shot is made of killed virus and therefore cannot cause the flu. And the weakened viruses in the flu nasal spray vaccine can cause symptoms similar to a cold, but they can't cause the flu.

Myth: The vaccine causes severe side effects.

Truth: The influenza vaccines are safe. Most people who get the flu shot only have redness, soreness or swelling where the vaccine was given. Some people, especially those who get the flu shot for the first time, may have a headache, muscle aches or tiredness.

Myth: The vaccine is ineffective because some people had a flu-like illness after getting a flu vaccine.

Truth: Although getting the vaccine prevents most people from becoming ill with the flu, some people still become infected. This may occur because a person is exposed to the virus before getting a vaccination or before it has taken effect, or because the vaccine does not match the circulating virus closely enough. A mild illness similar to a cold also can be caused by the live, weakened viruses in the influenza nasal spray vaccine. But any illness is usually milder than it would be without having had the vaccine.

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/hw121895

Return to “Health”