It's heeereee – Flu season

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: It's heeereee – Flu season

Post by JayByrd »

Man, what happened to doing what you want, and letting others do what they want?

If you want the flu shot because your immune system isn't the best, or you work or live among an at-risk population, or you just think it's a good precaution, go for it. I wish you well.

If you don't want the shot because you feel it's risky, or you just don't think you need it, don't get it. I wish you well.

We can all believe what we believe and do what we do. It doesn't have to be some big crusade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for discussion, but why are people arguing?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Poll: do you get the shot?

Post by OKkayak »

spooker wrote:Sure, my whole family gets the shot ... haven't had the flu in years ... and it's not due to good living ...

My sister gets the shot every year, gets the flu two or three times in that year. I don't get the shot, and get the flu for a couple of days every 2 or 3 years.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JayByrd wrote:Man, what happened to doing what you want, and letting others do what they want?
If you want the flu shot because your immune system isn't the best, or you work or live among an at-risk population, or you just think it's a good precaution, go for it. I wish you well. If you don't want the shot because you feel it's risky, or you just don't think you need it, don't get it. I wish you well.
We can all believe what we believe and do what we do. It doesn't have to be some big crusade.

MY issue with the anti-vaxxers is that they have no regard for themselves, but they have no concerns about infecting others that may die from contracting the disease.

If they don't want to vaccinate themselves and take the risk, fine. If they knowingly and willfully disregard the health of others, that should be a criminal offence with the possibility of becoming manslaughter if someone dies.

If they choose to take the risk of killing themselves, great, but stay away from everyone else until June. They remind me of Typhoid Mary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon
Bring back the LIKE button.
spooker

Re: Poll: do you get the shot?

Post by spooker »

OKkayak wrote:
spooker wrote:Sure, my whole family gets the shot ... haven't had the flu in years ... and it's not due to good living ...

My sister gets the shot every year, gets the flu two or three times in that year. I don't get the shot, and get the flu for a couple of days every 2 or 3 years.

Exactly ... we all have anecdotal evidence and do with it what we will

It's funny that scientists still publish findings to the rest of the world ... we've proven that it doesn't matter to us
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote:
JayByrd wrote:Man, what happened to doing what you want, and letting others do what they want?
If you want the flu shot because your immune system isn't the best, or you work or live among an at-risk population, or you just think it's a good precaution, go for it. I wish you well. If you don't want the shot because you feel it's risky, or you just don't think you need it, don't get it. I wish you well.

MY issue with the anti-vaxxers is that they have no regard for themselves, but they have no concerns about infecting others that may die from contracting the disease.

If they don't want to vaccinate themselves and take the risk, fine. If they knowingly and willfully disregard the health of others, that should be a criminal offence with the possibility of becoming manslaughter if someone dies.

If they choose to take the risk of killing themselves, great, but stay away from everyone else until June. They remind me of Typhoid Mary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

if your getting all your shots what's your concern,imo if you want to get dozens of shots not need ,its your call, the sickest people i know are the ones getting sick, so please say away fro me and my family
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote:if your getting all your shots what's your concern,imo if you want to get dozens of shots not need ,its your call, the sickest people i know are the ones getting sick, so please say away fro me and my family

My concerns are less about myself than I care about those that I may infect without my knowledge.

I have the pride in knowing that I have taken every available step to protect them.

How can you be absolutely sure that all of " the sickest people i know are the ones getting sick", have not been infected by you?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

A lot of folks in this thread need to lookup the difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence. Although I appreciate your personal anecdotes, they're completely meaningless.

The truth is that the flu vaccines saves lives... a lot of lives.

Those of you who are too scared of reality to deal with it can keep living in your little fantasy world where nothing bad can ever happen to you. I know it helps you sleep at night to deny that bad things can happen in the world. So you can keep denying that flu shots work because you don't want to admit that something as bad as the flu can kill millions of people. Deep down it makes you uncomfortable and it's the reason why you buy into a lot of conspiracy theories.

It's not that you're stupid and don't understand science and math... it's that you're afraid. But the rest of us will continue to get the shots and keep you safe from the boogeyman you're so afraid of.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:[quo if you want to get dozens of shots not need ,its your call, the sickest people i know are the ones getting sick, so please say away fro me and my family
Pretty much what people are saying - get sick, stay home or at least get the flu shot to minimize the chances of others getting the flu.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jonrox wrote:A lot of folks in this thread need to lookup the difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence. Although I appreciate your personal anecdotes, they're completely meaningless.

The truth is that the flu vaccines saves lives... a lot of lives.

A lot of folks interchange "cold" with "flu". I can't begin to list the people who have come to work with the common cold and complain about having the flu.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote:
the truth wrote:if your getting all your shots what's your concern,imo if you want to get dozens of shots not need ,its your call, the sickest people i know are the ones getting sick, so please say away fro me and my family

My concerns are less about myself than I care about those that I may infect without my knowledge.

I have the pride in knowing that I have taken every available step to protect them.

How can you be absolutely sure that all of " the sickest people i know are the ones getting sick", have not been infected by you?

how so if i do not get the flu,,,,,,,,,,,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

the truth wrote:how so if i do not get the flu,,,,,,,,,,,

Really? How can you NOT know one can spread an illness without suffering from it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 3rd, 2019, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 3rd, 2019, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those people may still spread the virus to others.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 3rd, 2019, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal

Return to “Health”