Scheer: US citizen and liar

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Scheer: US citizen and liar

Post by rustled »

floppi wrote:It's only his word that's true........remember, he said he was an insurance broker too. [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

Remember, I said if you can prove what you've been saying about Scheer is true, I'll be disappointed in him. So have at 'er. Get to digging. Chop chop, times a wastin'. Gotta impress me with how dishonest Scheer is so I won't vote for him, right? Gotta find us a big steaming pile of wrongdoing that's actually bigger than the big steaming pile of wrongdoing Trudeau's been stacking up, and only a few short weeks to get the job done. Good luck!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jmfva
Übergod

Post by Jmfva »

New headlines:

Pro life American lies on his resume to get job as Canadian Prime Minister.

#NOTtheBeaverton [icon_lol2.gif]
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Andrew Coyne: You can't be leader of one country and pledge allegiance to another

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... nother/amp
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Why did he do it? Someone was bound to check out his resume, documents, when you are applying for the highest position in the land. We are not talking about applying for a summer job at Macdonald's (an honorable profession, btw).
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/02/07/despera ... sumes.html
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

rustled wrote:I'm not sure whether or not they travelled on one or the other of their passports is germane. That's not how he couched his question to his constituents.

Could you please link to where Scheer actually accused anyone of not being faithful to Canada vis a vis this issue? (Not the Liberal who spun it that way, but what he actually said.) TIA. If he did, I'll think less of him for having done that.

Still a long, long way to go for me to think enough less of him to vote for Trudeau.

Scheer did it in a blog post which of course appears to have disappeared. I believe the blog post asked how members of the Conservative party felt about Michaelle Jean holding dual citizenship.
He also did hold a US passport but he let that expire. He does not say when he let it expire only that he did.

Not sure why you want others to look this up for you when a simple online search on anyone of the myriad of search engines would have found the info for you.
Scheer is not denying the facts here.
Here is exactly what he said. “Does it bother you that she is a dual citizen (France and Canada)? Would it bother you if instead of French citizenship, she held U.S. citizenship?”
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

jimmy4321 wrote:Andrew Coyne: You can't be leader of one country and pledge allegiance to another

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... nother/amp

What Andrew Coyne said in the article is that Scheer is a hypocrite, but his hypocrisy doesn’t come close to Trudeau’s hypocrisy...
As to your fake quote “You can’t be leader of one country and pledge allegiance to another”.... Here’s what Coyne actually said.
“ So all right, he’s a hypocrite — as are those who shrugged at their cases but seem very exercised about his. But beyond the hypocrisy, what is the substance of the issue? Are we right to assume there is nothing wrong with dual citizenship, only with hypocrisy? I don’t think so — as I said then, and as I repeat now.

It’s not wrong on a personal level: none of these leaders have done anything wrong, nor have their million semi-compatriates. It’s the law that’s wrong. It is wrong that Canada values its citizenship so cheaply that it allows it to be held simultaneously with another (or indeed any number of others: the arguments for dual citizenship apply equally to treble or quadruple citizenship). And it’s more wrong that it cannot bring itself even to ask of those who seek to lead it that, at a minimum, they should renounce all other allegiances.”

ETA: Scheer actually has started the process to renounce his allegiance to another country, which is more than the last dual citizen Liberal PM we had.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Nice spinning but this is what he concluded with......

We agree, as citizens, to throw in our lot with each other, to make sacrifices for each other, to put each other first. It is not possible to maintain an equal obligation to another national community — to put both “first” is a contradiction in terms. Elsewhere this is well understood. In countries as diverse as Denmark and Japan, the condition of acquiring a second citizenship is that you give up your first.

Dual citizenship should not be mistaken for pluralism, or openness. It is to Canada’s great credit and advantage that we welcome so many to join us, from all over the world, as it is that we do not expect them to conform to some rigid official identity. We should do everything we can to make it possible for newcomers to acquire Canadian citizenship. All we should ask in return is that it be their only one.

Or if that seems too much, can we at least ask that of those who would lead us? For as much as dual citizenship raises questions about what it means to be a citizen, it does so even more at the level of leadership — at least, if leadership means anything more than mere administration. In any political community, especially in a crisis, a leader must be able to rally the people to his side, to inspire them to make difficult choices, take necessary risks, sometimes to make painful sacrifices.

If they are to do that, if they are to follow where he leads, they must believe he is loyal to them, and to them only. They are unlikely to be willing to make the sacrifices he demands of them if he cannot himself make so elemental a sacrifice as to cast his lot with them — if not irrevocably, then at least exclusively. The notion that a prime minister, in particular, might make laws for one country while being subject to the laws of another — to the point, in Scheer’s case, of being eligible for the draft — is frankly bizarre.

Membership in a community should have meaning. The parties know this: you cannot be a member of one political party if you are a member of another. Why do they treat Canadian citizenship less seriously? Why do we?

Why was that he waited until AUGUST 2019, just mere 2 months from a possibility of becoming the Canadian PM to revoke his US affliation? Why didn't he take that action as soon as he became party leader so that if at least he won, his loyalty to Canada isn't affected by a pledge to another country. I think he's a secret Liberal and this part of his plan to wreck the Conservatives from within. :D
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It’s a strange scenario where the leader of a country could be drafted to fight for another country’s war.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

butcher99 wrote:
rustled wrote:I'm not sure whether or not they travelled on one or the other of their passports is germane. That's not how he couched his question to his constituents.

Could you please link to where Scheer actually accused anyone of not being faithful to Canada vis a vis this issue? (Not the Liberal who spun it that way, but what he actually said.) TIA. If he did, I'll think less of him for having done that.

Still a long, long way to go for me to think enough less of him to vote for Trudeau.

Scheer did it in a blog post which of course appears to have disappeared. I believe the blog post asked how members of the Conservative party felt about Michaelle Jean holding dual citizenship.
He also did hold a US passport but he let that expire. He does not say when he let it expire only that he did.

Not sure why you want others to look this up for you when a simple online search on anyone of the myriad of search engines would have found the info for you.
Here is exactly what he said. “Does it bother you that she is a dual citizen (France and Canada)? Would it bother you if instead of French citizenship, she held U.S. citizenship?”

Yes, he asked those questions. Think critically about this. At the time he asked them, Jean was actively maintaining both citizenships. Scheer was not. We don't know how his constituents answered. Maybe he got a big "she should renounce", maybe folk said "OMG, France!! but if it was the US, no big deal" (or vice versa), maybe he got a big "you guys are idiotic for making a big deal out of Ignatieff and Jean, this isn't Australia", maybe he got a big "meh". People en masse in Canada were arguing about whether or not it mattered, and most Canadians didn't thing it was that big a deal, just another politically manufactured outrage. That sort of boogeyman nonsense didn't endear the Conservatives to me then, nor does it endear the Liberals now.

Think critically about this, too: Scheer held a passport as a child. It lapsed. People are playing this, hoping folk will make the assumption you've made. I, personally, hate discovering I've allowed myself to be manipulated. So I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you're able to provide proof he and his spokespeople actually lied about not having maintained his US passport as an adult, I'll think less of him for the lies. Lying about this is both unnecessary and pointless.

And as I said before, it's still gonna take a lot more than this to convince me Scheer is a worse risk than Trudeau.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:It’s a strange scenario where the leader of a country could be drafted to fight for another country’s war.

That's a curious thing affecting quite a few MPs, is it not?

The Australian system may have its merits. It seems to me the issue of dual citizenship for public service should be addressed prior to the next election and decided with consideration, reason and logic and common sense, rather than used the way the parties have been using it.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

rustled wrote:
butcher99 wrote:

Yes, he asked those questions. Think critically about this. At the time he asked them, Jean was actively maintaining both citizenships. Scheer was not. We don't know how his constituents answered. Maybe he got a big "she should renounce", maybe folk said "OMG, France!! but if it was the US, no big deal" (or vice versa), maybe he got a big "you guys are idiotic for making a big deal out of Ignatieff and Jean, this isn't Australia", maybe he got a big "meh". People en masse in Canada were arguing about whether or not it mattered, and most Canadians didn't thing it was that big a deal, just another politically manufactured outrage. That sort of boogeyman nonsense didn't endear the Conservatives to me then, nor does it endear the Liberals now.

Think critically about this, too: Scheer held a passport as a child. It lapsed. People are playing this, hoping folk will make the assumption you've made. I, personally, hate discovering I've allowed myself to be manipulated. So I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you're able to provide proof he and his spokespeople actually lied about not having maintained his US passport as an adult, I'll think less of him for the lies. Lying about this is both unnecessary and pointless.

And as I said before, it's still gonna take a lot more than this to convince me Scheer is a worse risk than Trudeau.

I'm not sure what "maintaining" a citizenship in another country has any relevance, you are the only one out there pushing this non sense. Not renewing one's passport is not the same as revoking a citizenship and a pledge to that country to be loyal. If he wasn't interested in "maintaining" his passport as an adult, why not just revoke it then as an ADULT. Why wait 2 months before the federal election to revoke it? He's how old now?........I'd say he had almost 30 years to take this action so the line about not "maintaining" his passport just comes off as another desparate attempt to make excuses for the not fit for prime time Scheer.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Look (as Steve always used to say) Michaelle Jean, Stephane Dion, and Thomas Mulcair all had wussy, European style dual citizenship. They were all leftists who wanted to take us down that path. Andrew Scheer had AMERICAN citizenship. That's good citizenship, not leftist citizenship. There's a big difference. Make Canada great again.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

floppi wrote:
rustled wrote:Yes, he asked those questions. Think critically about this. At the time he asked them, Jean was actively maintaining both citizenships. Scheer was not. We don't know how his constituents answered. Maybe he got a big "she should renounce", maybe folk said "OMG, France!! but if it was the US, no big deal" (or vice versa), maybe he got a big "you guys are idiotic for making a big deal out of Ignatieff and Jean, this isn't Australia", maybe he got a big "meh". People en masse in Canada were arguing about whether or not it mattered, and most Canadians didn't thing it was that big a deal, just another politically manufactured outrage. That sort of boogeyman nonsense didn't endear the Conservatives to me then, nor does it endear the Liberals now.

I'm not sure what "maintaining" a citizenship in another country has any relevance, you are the only one out there pushing this non sense. Not renewing one's passport is not the same as revoking a citizenship and a pledge to that country to be loyal. If he wasn't interested in "maintaining" his passport as an adult, why not just revoke it then as an ADULT. Why wait 2 months before the federal election to revoke it? He's how old now?........I'd say he had almost 30 years to take this action so the line about not "maintaining" his passport just comes off as another desparate attempt to make excuses for the not fit for prime time Scheer.

:spitcoffee:

I get how terribly hard this is for y'all. The worst things you've been able to accuse Scheer of (and I see you've reined in the accusations since last night) are dull, trifling matters that pale to insignificance when compared to what Trudeau has been accused of by the ethics commissioner. Keep trying, though. The desperation is fun to watch. Fun and sad, but mostly fun. You still have a couple of weeks during which to convince me Scheer's a worse risk than Trudeau.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

:spitcoffee: [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] Oh yes like the desperation that comes out when a person from 20 years ago dresses up in a costume theme party gets distorted out of context and the partisan CONs whine away about racism......kinda like that? :biggrin:
Last edited by floppi on Oct 5th, 2019, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 5th, 2019, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Federal Election 2019”