Scheer: US citizen and liar

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Scheer: US citizen and liar

Post by The Green Barbarian »

crookedmember wrote:So, we now know that Andrew Scheer is an American citizen.

This really stinks.

He's a dual citizen. And no, it doesn't stink.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Scheer

Born: Andrew James Scheer
20 May 1979
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

There is no doubt what so ever as to where Andrew Scheer was born. The fact that his father was American born is irrelevant to this election.

This is a desperate attempt by the Liberals to defect from the real issues in this election. :130:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote: What is totally indefensible about his dual citizenship is that he criticized Michaelle Jean, Stephane Dion, and Thomas Mulcair for holding dual citizenship and holding office in Canada. .

Where did he do this?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Do United States taxes on worldwide income, so sheer would’ve had to disclose his Canadian income on his US tax returns every year. He likely wouldn’t actually owe any tax in the states though, as Canada has a tax treaty with the US, and he would only owe taxes in the states if the amount of income tax he would’ve paid in the US was greater on the same amount of income as it would be in Canada.

As Canada has slightly higher federal taxes than the States at most income levels, his US tax bill is likely little to none.

Out of all this, Scheer looks a bit hypocritical, no different than Trudeau (the whole do as I say, not as I do thing).
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Lady tehMa wrote:I heard a stat that there were a large number of MPs with dual citizenship. This is the only link I could find to confirm that

https://rightforcanada.ca/right-for-canada-videos/canadas-dual-citizen-politicians/

There are now at least 56 sitting parliamentarians — 44 MPs and 12 senators — born in countries outside Canada, according to information from the Library of Parliament and websites.

At least 22 of them have citizenship from other countries, CBC News confirmed through queries to parliamentarians’ offices.

That figure does not include MPs and senators who hold citizenship through descent, naturalization or marriage.

Canadian MPs hold citizenship from various countries, including Afghanistan, Lebanon, Portugal, Poland, Pakistan, Syria, the United States and the United Kingdom.

Personally, while dual citizenship is fine for most of our population I don't believe that any sitting politician should have it - I believe it is potentially a conflict for interest. IMO, if you are committed to a country enough to run for office, then you need to be ONLY committed to that country. Otherwise, you have divided loyalties.

Trudeau is a lying buffoon who is spending us into the ground, and I don't trust Scheer. So I'm voting PPC.

I think it's overly simplistic to expect this.

People want to make it all about loyalty, but I'll bet if you look at why some Canadians maintain their dual citizenship it would be because of the benefits for those who may want to work or retire in the US or whatever other foreign country they hold dual citizenship with, and what they'd be giving up if they renounce.

Just like the rest of us, they may have family in the country they were born in, or their born-away parents may have returned to the country they were born in. They know they will be limiting their options to deal with aging parents, live where their grandchildren are growing up, or take jobs when they've retired from public office that require relocating.

Insisting people who have valid reasons for maintaining dual citizenship cannot run for public office may not be necessary or sensible.

IMO, this is one of those tempest in a teapot issues created for partisan political reasons to stir folk up, and this time it has come back to bite the Conservatives in the butt. (Serves them right, I say.)

But it's up to us whether we want to let that nonsense formulate public policy, or look at the actual pros and cons, risks and benefits when formulating public policy.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Nobody is questioning where Scheer was born. And there is nothing wrong with dual citizenship.

The question is why did we find out about his American citizenship from the media and how indebted is he to the IRS?

As we've seen recently re his résumé, Scheer lies a lot and this just adds to his problems.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Let's also keep in mind that the IRS considers employer-provided benefits to be income.

Scheer has lived in 34 room mansions rent-free with chauffeurs, cooks, maids and nannies since 2011.

His tax obligations to Uncle Sam would be crippling.

My guess is he's waiting until after the election to pull the trigger on renunciation of his US citizenship.

If (when) he loses, he'll remain, as the Twitter hashtag goes, "#YankeeDoodleAndy" forever.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 6th, 2019, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conser ... 85?cmp=rss

Another campaign stop, another Scheer lie.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-scheer-gun-gang-violence-crime-fact-check-1.5309485?cmp=rss

Verdict: misleading.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

rustled wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-scheer-gun-gang-violence-crime-fact-check-1.5309485?cmp=rss

How about “Another campaign stop, another misreading statement (read lie) from Scheer.”

Craig Bottomley, a criminal lawyer at Bottomley Barristers in Toronto, said any case involving gun crime and a criminal organization will be pursued as an indictable offence.

He called the suggestion that Bill C-75 has resulted in gang members who committed violent offences walking away with fines "categorically false."

Spratt agreed, calling it an "outright lie" to claim the bill lets gang members convicted of violent crimes off the hook with a fine.

Let’s get out the thesaurus and find some other creative words for Scheer’s lies. :D
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:

Omnitheo wrote:How about “Another campaign stop, another misreading statement (read lie) from Scheer.”

Craig Bottomley, a criminal lawyer at Bottomley Barristers in Toronto, said any case involving gun crime and a criminal organization will be pursued as an indictable offence.

He called the suggestion that Bill C-75 has resulted in gang members who committed violent offences walking away with fines "categorically false."

Spratt agreed, calling it an "outright lie" to claim the bill lets gang members convicted of violent crimes off the hook with a fine.

Let’s get out the thesaurus and find some other creative words for Scheer’s lies. :D

I was quoting from your link.

I get that it may not be as scathing an indictment as they've apply to some of Trudeau's lies.

Still, if you have a problem with their verdict, you may need to take it up with them. Unlike the Liberal party, I have no hold over the media and what they print.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

So what else is new?
"The Claim: "Instead of going after gangsters and criminals who use guns to commit violent crime, Trudeau actually reduced the penalty for gang crime to as little as a fine."
— Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer

"Craig Bottomley, a criminal lawyer at Bottomley Barristers in Toronto, said any case involving gun crime and a criminal organization will be pursued as an indictable offence.
Spratt agreed, calling it an "outright lie" to claim the bill lets gang members convicted of violent crimes off the hook with a fine."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Stay on topic please!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

Yep - I agree, take Andrew in a heartbeat over lying Justin. How many times does someone have to poop the sheets before kicking them out? Remember Justin’s vacation with the Aga Kahn that taxpayers paid over $100,000 for?

vegas1500 wrote:Take him in a second over JT

Return to “Federal Election 2019”