Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Fighting for an MRI

Post by Kelowna_Born »

I'm not sure what else I can do in Kelowna to get an MRI
29 Female Lake Country

I have been lightheaded/dizzy for 3 months from morning till evening
Having weird headaches all over from temples, to back of my head, to jabs all over
Pain around my ear canals on and off, popping ears.

I have been getting better with coping with all these problems. My doctor thinks this is all stress and anxiety related.

I have been to my GP 5 times, the ER 5 times and no one will help, they have done every test short of a CT or MRI. I'm willing to pay for a private MRI but I cant get my GP to sign a referral. I'm very scared I have something really wrong with me and hate to even type out the diseases.
Last edited by Kelowna_Born on Oct 7th, 2019, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Re: Fighting for an MRI

Post by SuperMom »

I'm sorry you're going through this and that you aren't getting the care you need. Been there! I paid for two private MRIs in the past two years because my own health issue that remains unresolved. Although I don't think my family doctor has treated me overly well, he did at least give me the necessary referral letter...once I said that I was willing to pay for the private one.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

What do you think an MRI will diagnose for you?

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-mri.htm

SuperMom:

What were the results from your first MRI?
What were the results from your second MRI?
Chill
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

flamingfingers wrote:What do you think an MRI will diagnose for you?

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-mri.htm

SuperMom:

What were the results from your first MRI?
What were the results from your second MRI?

The first one revealed a disc bulge that was minimally impacting nerves. At the time, both my chiropractor and physiotherapist said I should look into surgery. My doctor wouldn't refer me to a surgeon without imaging, and I wasn't willing to wait months for a CT scan. The surgeon said no to surgery.

The second one was a year and a half after the first to see the state of my disc, because I am still dealing with constant nerve pains and other symptoms. The second one revealed that the disc was slightly worse and definitely impacting nerves. The surgeon still said no.

I've been in constant pain for almost two years. I finally just got a new doctor who disagrees with the surgeon's opinion that there's nothing wrong with my disc.

I agree that imaging isn't always necessary and won't always show what is wrong, but in my case the MRI shows the source of my pain. Despite doing all the right things for two years, the second MRI also showed that the disc hasn't been healing but getting worse.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Get a referral to a different neurosurgeon. Or an orthopedic surgeon.
Chill
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If possible, convince your GP to refer you to a neurologist. Do keep a diary of your symptoms. Make a note of any kind of flu-like symptoms prior to onset of the dizziness and headaches. Also note your moods and specifically that resilience you speak of in your OP; that way, a sudden change, or zero changes over time can rule out some diseases and lead health care closer to diagnosis.

I have advocated some serious shiznit, and notes and diary have helped. What diseases have you researched? Sometimes our own research freaks us out.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OvalTrackRacing

Post by OvalTrackRacing »

Yes you have to fight for your health care sometimes
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Post by Kelowna_Born »

Lightheadedness and dizziness can be a sign of so many diseases.

Sometimes I have jaw and facial pressure.

The diseases that keep coming up:

MS (have been ruled out by an optometrist looking at optic nerve not to have it)
Parkinson's (based on dizziness and internal tremors. But not of age or showing any other symptoms like external tremors)
Brain Tumor (Dizziness, Headaches, Random jabs of pain, tightness in head. Doctors says my symptoms would be getting worse by the day not better. Would be dropping things, loosing sight and vision)

As for stress/anxiety I have like 8 symptoms......But the symptoms of stress are caused by my true physical feeling of dizziness, tremors, muscle twitches, head pains.

I have read on alot of forums once a person gets a CT or MRI and they are cleared of such terrible diseases almost 75% or more of there symptoms actually stop
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

OvalTrackRacing wrote:Yes you have to fight for your health care sometimes

Sometime having a trusted family member or friend be advocate can help.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

flamingfingers wrote:^^Get a referral to a different neurosurgeon. Or an orthopedic surgeon.

Just waiting for an appointment!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Have you done any research into getting a private MRI in the USA? Here are the costs in Canada.

http://www.canadadiagnostic.com/info/fees/
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Strange that this just came up.

Labyrinthitis is an inflammation of the labyrinth, a part of the inner ear that helps to control balance.

The provincial government’s HealthLink website says the main symptom of labyrinthitis is vertigo that begins without warning and can cause vomiting. It can also cause hearing loss and a ringing sound in the ears.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/267614 ... steps-down
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

To the OP: Please check your PM box.
Anti-NMDA Mom

Post by Anti-NMDA Mom »

Seeing a neurologist needs a referral. Have you tried seeing a physiotherapist? Physiotherapists can refer for neuro work-up.

Get the referral as soon as you can.

Doctors are told explicitly: When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. Therefore, you need to advocate vigorously.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I sympathize with you. Our medical system is a mess, especially outside the Lower Mainland.
Last January my wife's Dr. put in for an ultrasound. Seven months later the hospital called and said the wait list was still long but she could go to Vernon or Revelstoke if she wanted. She did, about two weeks later.
I've been suffering from severe headaches since mid-June and am scheduled for a CT in December. What the heck gives? It could be just migraines, it could be a tumour, it could be anything, but I have to wait six months.
I have a close friend in Phoenix who offered to refer me to his Dr. and have a CT done in a matter of days. No idea on the cost but I'm tempted.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Health”