Leaders debate

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Leaders debate

Post by flamingfingers »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 7th, 2019, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Chill
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

flamingfingers wrote:Calm, cool, collected and more intelligent than all the rest put together was Jagmeet Singh.

Singh did do a good job.. problem is, Canada needs a Labour Party, not two Green Party’s. The NDP has lost its way...
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

:135:

Scheer reminded Trudeau that it had been determined that he acted inappropriately in pressuring then-Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould to pursue a deferred prosecution agreement with SNC-Lavalin. Scheer said, “You looked Canadians in the eye and told Canadians that the allegations in the Globe and Mail were false.”

Trudeau responded, “They were false” despite the findings of the Ethics Commissioner confirming the Globe and Mail‘s report that he and his government acted inappropriately.

Trudeau insists the allegations in the Globe and Mail were false. Odd since he "took responsibility" and stopped saying they were false months ago.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Drip_Torch wrote:For the life of me... (scratching my head)

I don't understand how they kept mixing up Scheer and Singh's names?

Obviously Scheer was the guy in the blue suit.

At one point Singh stated "I even wore a bright orange turban so you wouldn't confuse me with Mr. Scheer." One of his better lines.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

flamingfingers wrote:Calm, cool, collected and more intelligent than all the rest put together was Jagmeet Singh.

Strong candidate, weak policies. Same as layton and mulcair, decent leaders who were stymied by their own parties platforms.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Yeah, I'm not keen on paying for everyone's medications and dental work. In a perfect world, these things would be free for all, but I don't think we can afford it. A Canada wide program for buying and dickering for more reasonable prices would help some, but not if it means I have to pay for someone's expensive treatments or dental. Imagine the cost of that for 37 million people!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Hurtlander wrote: Are you sure we watched the same debate ? I don’t recall Scheer rudely interrupting anyone and talking over them, but understandingly when Scheer was rudely interrupted he did try to hold his ground.

I saw the debate. Got sick and tired of watching all the kids, including Scheer, talking all over each other and not being able to understand a single word. Jagmeet Singh outclassed everyone at the debate from what I saw.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Yeah, I'm not keen on paying for everyone's medications and dental work. In a perfect world, these things would be free for all, but I don't think we can afford it. A Canada wide program for buying and dickering for more reasonable prices would help some, but not if it means I have to pay for someone's expensive treatments or dental. Imagine the cost of that for 37 million people!

True but also try to imagine the cost when it becomes a health issue and we now do pay for it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Bsuds wrote: True but also try to imagine the cost when it becomes a health issue and we now do pay for it.

In the long run we save money when we spend proactively. A healthy population (including teeth) ultimately costs us less.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

That's just it though, I would rather be the one to decide IF I want to pay or not. With pharmacare a person who has been careful with their healthcare and may have very minimal costs, will be on the hook for sometimes very expensive medications or treatments for a person who didn't take care of themselves. I don't feel like paying for someone who has a mouthful of rotten teeth from smoking for 50 years, so they can have a nice smile (as just an example). Many people need more insulin (very expensive) because of the type of diet they eat. I have no control over that. For myself, I can decide whether I want to pay for it , or not. IF it was an optional insurance (I think this is already available if people want it badly), I could be in favor of that, where the people who sign up are covered, but also are responsible for carrying the costs of the program. Not universal where everyone has to pay (usually through taxes).
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Silverstarqueen wrote:That's just it though, I would rather be the one to decide IF I want to pay or not. With pharmacare a person who has been careful with their healthcare and may have very minimal costs, will be on the hook for sometimes very expensive medications or treatments for a person who didn't take care of themselves. I don't feel like paying for someone who has a mouthful of rotten teeth from smoking for 50 years, so they can have a nice smile (as just an example).

I somehow doubt cosmetic dental work will be included with dental care. However, if we can get people into the dentist on a regular basis, including regular cleaning, then we will save massive amounts of tax money down the road. As part of a collective (and as a citizen of Canada you are part of a collective) we all do better when we help each other.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think it was a draw, and for an incumbent that's really a win.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Ka-El wrote:Jagmeet Singh outclassed everyone at the debate from what I saw.

I agree, Singh did compose himself very well, but there’s a great number of Canadians that would like to have the option of voting for a Labour Party, essentially what the NDP used to be. Unfortunately the NDP is now nothing more than a second Green Party, something that literally thousands of private sector trades union members can no longer support... Having said that, I’m pretty sure that Singh has guaranteed himself a solid third place after last evenings debate, he’s by far the best leader on the left.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Silverstarqueen wrote:That's just it though, I would rather be the one to decide IF I want to pay or not. With pharmacare a person who has been careful with their healthcare and may have very minimal costs, will be on the hook for sometimes very expensive medications or treatments for a person who didn't take care of themselves. I don't feel like paying for someone who has a mouthful of rotten teeth from smoking for 50 years, so they can have a nice smile (as just an example). Many people need more insulin (very expensive) because of the type of diet they eat. I have no control over that. For myself, I can decide whether I want to pay for it , or not. IF it was an optional insurance (I think this is already available if people want it badly), I could be in favor of that, where the people who sign up are covered, but also are responsible for carrying the costs of the program. Not universal where everyone has to pay (usually through taxes).

This line of thought can be carried to all types of healthcare... "It was his choice to go skateboarding, why should I have to pay for his broken wrist", etc, etc. I doubt public dental care would cover cosmetic teeth procedures, same as botox or breast augmentation is not covered currently.

If our overall healthcare system was more focused on preventative health care (better eating, better fitness, healthy teeth and gum to go with things like colon screening), the savings would be dramatic over the long term, I would have to believe.

And prescription medication should have long ago been covered by provincial health care, the fact that it still isn't is a disgrace.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Cost in Quebec, per capita for pharmacare (not dental) is $1000 to $1400 per capita.
No thankyou. Add dental to that, no thankyou, even if cosmetic is not covered, the dental for millions of baby boomers alone would be high. If they wanted to cover (non cosmetic) dental for, say children up to age whatever, I might see a logic for that.

I don't mind paying for someone's broken wrist when skateboarding.
It's the evil we know and seems to be working adequately, although a few people seem to be slipping through the cracks.
We are going to have an ever increasing cost with health care alone, which is not quite adequate in some areas yet, I think that should be the priority.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”