Leaders debate

two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Re: Leaders debate

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Hurtlander wrote:I fully agree with Tom Mulcair’s assessment on CTV, keep in mind Mulcair sat in parliament with Trudeau, Scheer, Bernier and May..
Mulcair says Trudeau won the debate, not because he was spectacular because he clearly wasn’t, but because nobody threw the knockout punch that knocked off his crown. Mulcair says that Scheer was a very very close second, Mulcair said that voters that were sitting on the fence about Scheer would now have a good opinion of him after this debate.

IMHO, I don’t think that ignorant prick from the PQ should have been allowed in a debate with the other NATIONAL leaders, because he clearly isn’t a national leader.

ETA: Mulcair also said that Trudeau used the same debate tactic he used in 2015, when he didn’t like what the other person was saying, he’d deliberately talked over top of the other person so the audience wouldn’t be able to listen to the other persons point of view.

Good points..............I fully agree.

I felt from the get go..........the moderator cold c--ked Mr. Bernier - knock him right off his game. I interpreted it as, "well we really didn't want you here anyway." BUT, expected the same for at least, Trudeau, and Sheer. The is enough *bleep* to go round...............but it didn't happen.

I was disappointed that Mr. Bernier did not take some voice lessons prior, so that he could be more clearly understood. The Block's representative was easier to understand - and what was he doing there anyway?

The build up to the debate was far more exciting than the results. Make one wonder, "Is this the best Canada has to offer?"

Ms. May's alarmist message is becoming so tiresome. Mr. Singh...................I am not ready to vote in a leader for Canada who wears a turban.............for many reasons, and I don't know enough about his background, or religious ties. Yes, he did present well, but it reeks of an agenda, and I don't like the feeling it gives me.

Mr. Trudeau..........almost becoming red faced at one point. You could see the wheels turning, his superior status attacked, HOW DARE THEY!

Mr. Sheer............I'm not voting for another man child with no experience other than grooming............we've already had that. Voting for him would equal buying a mystery grab bag at a thrift store.

Its a shame how low the standards are, and consider this...................what ever, who ever......we will have another four years paying for the idiots who gets in.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

I'm voting for the devil I know than the one I don't :D
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

floppi wrote:I'm voting for the devil I know than the one I don't :D

Elizabeth May?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Thomas Walkom: Jagmeet Singh’s strong showing could make Andrew Scheer the prime minister

In a roundabout way, Conservative Andrew Scheer benefited most from Monday’s leaders’ debate.

He did so not because he performed particularly well but because New Democrat Jagmeet Singh did.

We shall see whether Singh’s near miraculous political resurrection is enough to salvage any seats for the struggling NDP. It may be too late for that.

But in some ridings, particularly in Ontario, a partial NDP recovery could split the so-called progressive vote just enough to let Scheer’s Conservatives skate up the middle and win what is shaping up to be an extremely close election.

In any case, Singh has managed throughout this campaign to confound his critics both inside and outside the NDP.

With one exception — his handling of the controversy surrounding a Quebec law that discriminates against those who are openly religious — he has managed to avoid political pitfalls.

Most of the time, he has dealt with the tricky issues of race and religion gracefully, reminding voters that as a turban-wearing Sikh he has experienced racism first-hand, yet doing so without sounding bitter.

His somewhat bemused reaction to a voter who suggested that he cut off his turban in order to look more “Canadian” was particularly adroit. He didn’t get mad. He just said that Canadians can look like a lot of things.

During Monday’s debate, like the two that preceded it, he came across as engaged and natural.

His dismissal of the climate-change policies of Scheer and Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau as a choice between “Mr. Delay and Mr. Deny” had an old-fashioned ring to it (I was reminded of former NDP leader Ed Broadbent’s characterization of the Liberals and Conservatives as “the Bobbsey Twins of Bay Street.”)

But Singh delivered the line with aplomb. And it made the point.

Throughout the debate, he tried to present himself as a neutral observer disconnected from the antics of the two front-runners but well aware of their inadequacies.

To a large extent, he succeeded.

The only time he was caught flat-footed occurred after the debate proper in a scrum with reporters. That’s when he became entangled again in the intricacies of the law known in Quebec as Bill 21.

Bill 21, which prevents public officials in positions of authority from openly wearing religious symbols, is blatantly discriminatory. It is aimed at those, including some Muslims, Jews and Sikhs, who view the wearing of such symbols as religious obligations.

But it is also extremely popular in Quebec. As a result, the federal leaders, all of whom are seeking votes in Quebec, have stepped gingerly around it.

Until Monday, Singh’s position was that while he disapproved of Bill 21, he would not challenge it in court if he became prime minister. That is also Scheer’s position.

That plays well in Quebec but less so in the rest of Canada, where Bill 21 is generally viewed as racist.
Trudeau, by comparison, has tried to straddle the gap saying that while he’s not prepared to challenge the law now, he might do so later.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/election ... spartanntp
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Mr. Singh easily won the debate...

polldata.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

He speaks well, alas I think too many are afraid to vote for a " Indian" whichh is a pity as at least he is announcing what his Party would do should they win
I'd rather him than JT or AS.
Be nice to see an upset and let both the 2 once and future Kings have to stew in their own juices
JT had his chance and blew it, AS doesn't deserve the chance imo
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

normaM wrote:He speaks well, alas I think too many are afraid to vote for a " Indian" whichh is a pity as at least he is announcing what his Party would do should they win
I'd rather him than JT or AS.
Be nice to see an upset and let both the 2 once and future Kings have to stew in their own juices
JT had his chance and blew it, AS doesn't deserve the chance imo

That is especially true in Quebec. 70% of Quebeckers are against anyone wearing religious symbols in public, so although they liked what saw in the French debate as well, he gained nothing in Quebec in either French or English debate.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Mr. Singh............you can't have it both ways.
You set yourself up to play the race card when you don't want to answer honestly.
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... -race-card
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Jlabute wrote:Trudeau: Most Elitist
Trudeau: Most Hypocritical
Trudeau: Most Fake
Scheer: Most Honest
Scheer: Most Straightforward
Scheer: Most Trustworthy

Online survey of 1584 Canadians

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/new-poll-looking-at-virtues-of-canadas-party-leaders-ranks-justin-trudeau-most-elitist-fake

I looked at that poll and this is what I saw.

Most Elitist - Don't know 39%
Most Hypocritical - Trudeau 37%
Most Fake - Trudeau 36%
Most Honest - Don't know 35%
Most Straight Forward - Don't know 30%
Most Trustworthy - Don't know 36%

That confirms what I already suspected. Don't know is clearly leading in this election.

^^^ lol. Kind of like Idiocracy, where "Not Sure" saves the country.

That's true, but once "Don't know" decides, and if they even show up at all, they will likely follow the same distribution pattern if the population is random.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

I am starting to really like Singh.
He is calm and composed and seems to have more substance to his answers than the usual talking heads.

It’s a shame that his NDP platform will keep me from voting Orange.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

DetectivePikachu wrote:I am starting to really like Singh.
He is calm and composed and seems to have more substance to his answers than the usual talking heads.

It’s a shame that his NDP platform will keep me from voting Orange.

Reminds me of the Green party candidate in Kelowna a few years ago. He got on stage and was slagging the Conservatives and Liberals and even the NDP, and had the whole crowd behind him, until he said "and we need the price of gas to be at least $5 a liter so everyone takes their bikes to work". You could have heard a pin drop. The guy went from "viable alternative" to "blithering lunatic" in the course of 10 seconds.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

$5 a liter is much worse than $5 a gallon like the democrats are imposing right now in some California areas.
Bye-bye democrats. Probably the extra taxes pay for homeless poop, needle, rat, and typhus clean-up.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/10/09/some-californians-are-paying-5-for-a-gallon-of-gas-which-could-mean-trouble-for-2020-democrats-candidate-says/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Jlabute wrote:$5 a liter is much worse than $5 a gallon like the democrats are imposing right now in some California areas.
Bye-bye democrats. Probably the extra taxes pay for homeless poop, needle, rat, and typhus clean-up.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/10/09/some-californians-are-paying-5-for-a-gallon-of-gas-which-could-mean-trouble-for-2020-democrats-candidate-says/

That's a $1.32 a liter. And let's be honest that will be used to pay for a study about the issues, not actually address the issues.

I do have to agree though that Singh is coming off a lot better than he has in the past. Perhaps he is finally adjusting to his role, but as well the NDP are just way to far out of touch with reality to every really govern, they will always be one of the "aren't wishes nice" parties.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Veovis wrote:
Jlabute wrote:$5 a liter is much worse than $5 a gallon like the democrats are imposing right now in some California areas.

That's a $1.32 a liter. And let's be honest that will be used to pay for a study about the issues, not actually address the issues.

I do have to agree though that Singh is coming off a lot better than he has in the past. Perhaps he is finally adjusting to his role, but as well the NDP are just way to far out of touch with reality to every really govern, they will always be one of the "aren't wishes nice" parties.

I thought they already had these issues solved. After-all, they've been handing out dog flea collars to the homeless.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/LA-is-handing-out-flea-collars-to-stem-typhus-13322571.php

Return to “Federal Election 2019”