Conservative Platform

Drip_Torch
Guru

Conservative Platform

Post by Drip_Torch »

Here it is and it's far worse than I imagined.

https://cpc-platform.s3.ca-central-1.am ... 11_web.pdf

There are 17 occurrences of the word "house" none of them involve your house. One of them involves fighting greenhouse gases by putting a LNG bunkering faciality in the Port of Vancouver.

There are 116 occurrences of the word "home". They include:
- Remove GST from your home heating bill.
- Fix the mortgage stress test, so it's easier to get a mortgage.
- Extend the amortization period, also makes it easier to get a mortgage (and pay more interest)
- Introduce the Green home tax credit - good for people with money to spend on their house.
- Sell off federal real estate, 38,000 buildings - cool, I'm saving up for 24 Sussex
- Build more homes competition amongst municipalities - also cool, cause who doesn't like playing games?
- Introduce the Green Home Retrofit Code - cause who doesn't love more regulations governing their homes?

… and my personal favourite - to combat emissions from wildfires, invest in early detection technology. Just watched a wildfire last night on live TV go from 3 acres to over 3500 acres, with 8 helicopters working thru the night, about 140 municipal fire trucks, 35 wildland fire trucks, and another 40 fire crews working all night.

Early detection technology? I don't know, the guy that phoned it in says it was a 20 ft by 20 ft square when he made the call and the fire department was there in 4 minutes. Besides, wildfires are not the issue - communities burning is the issue.

Still don't see how you make houses more affordable by putting more people in the market searching for houses?

I see why they were keeping it under wraps. It's your typical IDU, ideologically driven, austerity platform with a few platitudes and pennies thrown towards the rabble.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Oct 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Jmfva
Übergod

Re: Conservative Platform

Post by Jmfva »

Drip_Torch wrote:Here it is and it's far worse than I imagined.

There are 17 occurrences of the word "house" none of them involve your house. One of them involves fighting greenhouse gases by putting a LNG bunkering faciality in the Port of Vancouver.

There are 116 occurrences of the "home". They include:
- Extend the amortization period, also makes it easier to get a mortgage (and pay more interest)
- Introduce the Green home tax credit - good for people with money to spend on their house.
- Sell off federal real estate, 38,000 buildings - cool, I'm saving up for 24 Sussex
- Build more homes competition amongst municipalities - also cool, cause who doesn't like playing games?
- Introduce the Green Home Retrofit Code - cause who doesn't love more regulations governing their homes?

… and my personal favourite - to combat emissions from wildfires, invest in early detection technology. Just watched a wildfire last night on live TV go from 3 acres to over 3500 acres, with 8 helicopters working thru the night, about 140 municipal fire trucks, 35 wildland fire trucks, and another 40 fire crews working all night.

Early detection technology? I don't know, the guy that phoned it in says it was a 20 ft by 20 ft square when he made the call and the fire department was there in 4 minutes. Besides, wildfires are not the issue - communities burning is the issue.

Still don't see how you make houses more affordable by putting more people in the market searching for houses?

putting Canadian's into debt for much longer, paying more interest... wasn't this tried before?
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Drip_Torch wrote:Here it is and it's far worse than I imagined.

There are 116 occurrences of the word "home". They include:

I see why they were keeping it under wraps. It's your typical IDU, ideologically driven, austerity platform with a few platitudes and pennies thrown towards the rabble.

Please don’t take removed the deliberate and misleading analysis of the Conservative platform seriously, removed simply trolling for the Liberals.
Example, this misleading comment
“There are 17 occurrences of the word "house" none of them involve your house. One of them involves fighting greenhouse gases by putting a LNG bunkering faciality in the Port of Vancouver.”

Go to page 47 of the party platform to read about a very workable plan to help combat CO2 emissions by using an LNG bunkering facility.
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 11th, 2019, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

This is a reasonably good platform, it certainly makes more sense that the liberal one.
Póg Mo Thoin
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Go to page 47 of the party platform to read about a very workable plan to help combat CO2 emissions by using an LNG bunkering facility.

Flips to page 47, anxious - oh my did I miss something... See's picture of Andrew Scheer, reads words, more help at home... laughs out loud and switches the channel away from Castanet forums.

This page 47?
The one with the brand new, black one ton pickup close in the background? Okay... it certainly does represent the plan, I'll give you that.

page-47.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

18 billion dollars in infrastructure spending spread out over 5 years - cut.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Drip_Torch wrote:

Flips to page 47, anxious - oh my did I miss something... See's picture of Andrew Scheer, reads words, more help at home... laughs out loud and switches the channel away from Castanet forums.

This page 47?
The one with the brand new, black one ton pickup close in the background? Okay... it certainly does represent the plan, I'll give you that.

The attachment page-47.jpg is no longer available

Stop trolling.. this is very clearly on page 47..
Attachments
F0CAECC1-19EB-4FAF-B1EB-C1B44B8D1AD5.jpeg
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Drip_Torch wrote:18 billion dollars in infrastructure spending spread out over 5 years - cut.

Spending cuts are very necessary when you’re deep in debt. Liberals don’t understand that concept.
Póg Mo Thoin
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Really, then maybe you can explain how a Conservative platform in Ontario can have a historic budget and historic social program cuts. Will the Federal platform be like that?

On top of that what a NOTHING climate plan that lacks severe details on how they are going to impliment that plan. All I see are bunch of "cans" and "shoulds" in their nothing plan. So let me get this straight we are going to the rest of the world to sell this green technology but have absolutely no plan to reduce our own ghg emmissions? That's like telling your neighbor to cut his lawn while your own lawn is knee high. [icon_lol2.gif] If I was the neighbor, I'd tell him to mind his own business until he got his own lawn under control.
K_teela
Fledgling

Post by K_teela »

Leave it to Scheer to not release the platform until after the debates, the day early polls open, and the Friday afternoon of a long weekend. I guess that's what you do when you when you want to hide away from people scrutinizing your plan.

I find it amusing how after all their talk about how the carbon tax is a tax grab their very platform states "Projected cost of giving up carbon tax revenue is......$0". Interesting to see what happens when you factor in the rebates as well (People need to stop getting their information from the Fraser Institute).
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

2.7 billion dollars in tax cuts - spread out over the next 5 years!
FOR LARGE CORPORATIONS MAKING MORE THAN $50,000/YEAR IN PASSIVE INVESTMENT INCOME.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Hurtlander wrote:Stop trolling.. this is very clearly on page 47..

The page numbers are in the very bottom right hand corner. Let's start there.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

This is starting to get personal...DON'T

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

floppi wrote:So let me get this straight we are going to the rest of the world to sell this green technology but have absolutely no plan to reduce our own ghg emmissions? That's like telling your neighbor to cut his lawn while your own lawn is knee high. [icon_lol2.gif] If I was the neighbor, I'd tell him to mind his own business until he got his own lawn under control.

The platform assumes we're going to be able to influence China, to not only reduce emissions, but to adopt Canadian technology and buy Canadian fossil fuels to boot. It's like the Conservative Platform is suggesting we're voting for something a little more than just the gov't of Canada.

A global, world based body that's going to direct other countries in how they should invest and regulate themselves.

It's an interesting concept, really. I wonder what that might look like?

:topic:
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

I'm not the only one wondering about the shadeness and nefarious timing of the Conservative's platform. They just didn't want anyone looking at it too closely as it looks exactly like Ontario's economic blueprint.That's why they brought it out after the leader's debate and when peeps are starting to vote. This is exactly what most of us have been saying, the CONs aren't bringing their platform out because they don't want the Canadians to know what's in it.

"The Conservatives are proposing $53 billion worth of cuts. Deeper cuts than even Doug Ford is putting forward," Trudeau said. "That's why they waited until Friday night, of a long weekend, at the end of the election, before sharing with Canadians their plan to cut services."

Kevin Page, the former parliamentary budget officer and CEO of the Institute of Fiscal Studies and Democracy, also took issue with the timing of the platform's release, saying that it should have been done before the debates and advance polling began.

'Nefarious'

"I'm a bit disappointed, particularly on this platform, less on the NDP because they just struggled to get a document out period," said Page. "They [the NDP] probably would have liked to have gotten it out a week ago. They just weren't ready.

"But this looks more nefarious from the point of view that, 'We don't want to tell people till after the debates, till people start voting, that this is how we get back to balance.'"

Page said that closing the tax gap is a worthwhile pursuit, one that all the federal parties are pursuing. He said it was a worthy goal but it hasn't been tried in Canada on the scale the Conservative are proposing.

"They deficit-finance tax cuts right away, they start in the early years. And then they have these spending cuts ramping up in the outer years and one of your big components is infrastructure," said Page.

"The one thing you don't do, in any plan, if you're saying this is about competitiveness and productivity when you are doing this, is go after infrastructure, because its so critical. That truly is an investment."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer ... -1.5318850

Return to “Federal Election 2019”