Conservative Platform

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Conservative Platform

Post by Drip_Torch »

GraceD wrote:So I just listened to Dan Albas here on the Castanet forum...in the print it says people are worried about pensions etc. He paid a visit - door knocking to someone I know. She asked what they were going to do for pensions as people live below the poor line. He said they had nothing for seniors except to give them some tax cuts. Tax cuts are no good for those below the poverty line, and the drugs are paid for already by BC medical. In other words the seniors can take a powder, all those that worked hard for this country and now have a hard time making ends meet. But the parties all cater to middle class and higher incomes. Would love a politician to live off what a senior lives off of for 3 months and see how they manage. Remember one politician in Vancouver that lived on a monthly pension for one month. He was in the streets and at the food bank. Emory Barnes was his name. He couldn't get past the first 2 weeks.

You're right. There's nothing in this platform for you. Cold hard truth is this party isn't interested in your struggles. It's pathetic. No different than what's going on right at this moment in Winnipeg. The tone deaf, out of touch Conservative campaign machine has rolled into town during a state of emergency and will be staying in hotels tonight, while thousands of people are looking for somewhere to shelter.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer ... -1.5320611
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Thank you for acknowledging! But the real question now is, will the Leftists here stop doing it? Acknowledging the problem is one thing. But you have to be a big enough person to also then stop doing it. Babbling about dog whistles and trying to excuse the stupidity of SNC Lavalin is beyond partisan.

Ugh huh, you still haven't told me what you like about the conservative platform. I understand from reading another thread you are looking forward to locking Trudeau up, but what else? Financing tax cuts? Tax Breaks for millionaires? Making mortgages easier to obtain and financed over a longer term?

How many service business owners look at dismal balance sheet and decide I'll cut my revenues, borrow the difference, cut my services and give my preferred shareholders a dividend? Somewhere along the way I'll find some savings in my operations budget and everything will be fine.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Drip_Torch wrote:Cold hard truth is this party isn't interested in your struggles. It's pathetic.

Hmmm, sounds like another political platform in Canada. You, know, the one that keeps saying "You're asking for more than we are able to give". :smt045
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

You simply can't make this stuff up.

Conservative Candidate Stephen Stewart doesn't want to share the issues with the media. I quote;

"I don't want to share those issues, until I get elected, because they're good ideas, I believe - but maybe they're not the greatest ideas. I still want to get there, get elected and table those ideas and see why they won't work.

https://www.facebook.com/doug.millingto ... 598437610/

:laugh:

He's not alone, seems that's the party approach to everything. Here's the conservative party platform https://www.andrewscheer.ca/en/platform
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Ugh huh, you still haven't told me what you like about the conservative platform.

All of it. It's awesome!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote:
Ugh huh, you still haven't told me what you like about the conservative platform.

All of it. It's awesome!

If you're talking about the completely nihilistic aspect of it all - sure, I guess I'd have to agree with you.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Sure isn't anything in there for any Canadian senior!!!
Chill
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Regarding the conservative platform, are they going to uphold the Liberals planned spending on new naval ships, icebreakers, coastal patrol ships? ( should in my opinion get rid of those obsolete British subs regardless which party forms government)
Are the Conservatives , if elected, going to put another incompetent like Vic Toews as veterans minister?
F-35 ….really, hope that gets revisited.

Concerned the Cons will cut many things I find important. Did not Like Harper.
Will the Cons reinstate the program where native bands have to show accountability with federal funds.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Conservative platform is a stinker. $53 billion in cuts so they can give the 1%ers in Calgary that own the party big tax breaks and follow the failed "oil sands or bust" disaster.

That's what you get when the greedmongers run the party, not the party members. To the best of my knowledge the "Conservative" party is the only party where membership resolutions are not binding, not directive to the so called leaders. In other words, the "Conservative" party is a dictatorship.

So of course, the Conservative party doesn't give a rats about average Canadians, they just want use (in the worst sense of the word) their votes - then gut the country for the personal profit of the 1%er bosses.

Scheer gibs and gabs about "cutting corporate welfare" by $1.5 billion - never mind he plans to give corporations a $10-20 billion tax cut. Typical Scheer nonsense, look over here - "cutting corporate welfare" - but never mind the much, much larger corporate tax cut he plans.

Yup, first thing Doug Ford did was hand corporations $3.8 billion in tax cuts - and cut services and programs for average Canadians. Yup, first thing Jason Kenney did was make a huge cut in corporate taxes and hand the oil industry a huge gift by removing the tax on pollution - and now Jason Kenney is working up to massive cuts to education and health care.

Scheer is cut from the exact same disastrous cloth - hand money to his 1%er bosses at the expense of average Canadians - that's the real "Conservative" platform in a nutshell. Rip you off so the 1%er greedmongers can have more.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Sounds just like the GOP down South.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

"Greedmongers" cuz yeah, people are going to believe the Conservative party is the only one with those.

"Oil sands or bust" dogma cuz yeah, that has been working so well.

Criticizing Ford.

The spectre of the 1% cuz yeah, people are going to believe the Conservative party is the only one to pander to them.

Repeat, repeat, repeat. Because if you say it often enough people might believe it and forget the past four years like they were just a bad dream.

And if that isn't enough: "the GOP".

Looks like this is all the desperate anyone-but-Scheer crowd has left.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

seewood wrote:Regarding the conservative platform, are they going to uphold the Liberals planned spending on new naval ships, icebreakers, coastal patrol ships? ( should in my opinion get rid of those obsolete British subs regardless which party forms government)
Are the Conservatives , if elected, going to put another incompetent like Vic Toews as veterans minister?
F-35 ….really, hope that gets revisited.

Concerned the Cons will cut many things I find important. Did not Like Harper.
Will the Cons reinstate the program where native bands have to show accountability with federal funds.

Pages 85 and 86:
Depoliticize Military Procurement
To equip the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, a new Conservative government will act and use Parliamentary institutions like the House of Commons Committee on National Defence to build a multi-partisan consensus around the needs of our military. For too long, our military heroes have been underserved by governments promising to deliver equipment only
to come up short time and time again. Military procurement is hyper-politicized to Canada’s detriment. Successful military
procurement requires focused leadership at the highest levels of the Canadian government. We will ensure that the government consults the House of Commons Committee on National Defence early to solicit advice and input on the future
direction of procurement for our military so that no party plays politics with our procurement.

Successful military procurement also requires focused leadership at the highest levels of the Canadian government. To
that end, we will restore the Cabinet Committee on Defence Procurement, and create a Defence Procurement Secretariat
within the Privy Council Office to ensure that priority projects are progressing on time and on budget.

Replace Canada’s CF-18s
To support the Royal Canadian Air Force, we will not delay in selecting a new fighter jet to replace our CF-18s. Justin
Trudeau’s ill-considered commitment to run an “open” fighter jet competition while excluding the F-35 has left Canada’s
national defence vulnerable. He has repeatedly compounded his errors, first by inventing an alleged “capability gap” that
no defence expert agreed existed, then promising to purchase 18 Super Hornets on an “interim” basis, and finally agreeing
to purchase a couple dozen 40-year-old F-18 Hornets from Australia. As other nations complete competitions within a
year or even sooner, Canada’s Air Force is left wanting. Where Justin Trudeau has failed, we will act immediately. We will
select a replacement for the CF-18s in 2020, and have them enter service by 2025.

Build a Second Interim Supply Ship
To support the Royal Canadian Navy, we will negotiate a contract with Davie Shipyards to build a second interim supply ship. We cannot continue to rely on other countries to sustain operations by both our Atlantic and Pacific fleets and around the globe. Canada requires two Auxiliary Oil Replenishment vessels to ensure our Navy can operate effectively abroad as it awaits
the construction of the Joint Support Ships.

Maintain Contracts for Davie Shipyards for Ice Breakers and Federal Ferries
To address the increasing threat to our Arctic sovereignty posed by Russia, China, and others, we will reinforce Canada’s standing as a maritime nation. We will maintain contracts for ice breakers and federal ferries. We must also take steps to
protect and promote maritime shipping in the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes regions.

Canada must do more to show the world that we are an Arctic power. A new Conservative government will establish, without a doubt, that our sovereignty over the North is non-negotiable. The Arctic is integral to our identity, as is the Northwest Passage.

Replace Canada’s Victoria Class Submarines
To support the Royal Canadian Navy, we will begin the process of replacing the used British submarines purchased by Liberal Prime Minister Jean Chretien. Submarine capability is vital to protecting Canada’s vast coastlines, particularly in the Arctic. The Australian government has initiated a multi-year strategy to procure its future submarine capability. Canada can look to these and other international models as we seek to ensure that we have the capabilities that are necessary to effectively protect our national waters.

Page 59:
Remove Barriers to Prosperity
To ensure that Indigenous peoples share fully in the prosperity of our country, a new Conservative government will work collaboratively with Indigenous communities and leaders to review the Indian Act and other government policies and procedures to remove barriers to prosperity. Many Indigenous people face a significant socio-economic gap compared with other Canadians. We will work with Indigenous communities and leaders to identify these barriers and provide solutions.

We will work towards modernizing Indigenous governance so that accountability shifts from the federal bureaucracy to the people served by Indigenous leaders. As part of this, we will also work to reduce unnecessary red tape that burdens and takes valuable resources away from Indigenous communities. All government reporting should serve the community – not the bureaucracy. As an example, we will pursue opportunities to allow eligible Indigenous communities to receive the federal Gas Tax Fund directly.

To make sure Indigenous groups can participate in the economic benefit of major projects and other economic development opportunities, we will pursue opportunities to assist Indigenous rights holders in accessing capital for equity agreements and economic development. We will also increase support for organizations that facilitate engagement between Indigenous groups and resource development companies. Indigenous communities want to benefit from development of resources within their traditional territory, but they want to do this in a way that is respectful of the environment and of their traditions. Encouraging collaboration will help to achieve this.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

hobbyguy wrote: Scheer is cut from the exact same disastrous cloth - hand money to his 1%er bosses at the expense of average Canadians - that's the real "Conservative" platform in a nutshell. Rip you off so the 1%er greedmongers can have more.

The sad thing is the partisan Cons here really believe it will be different this time. Either that or they think reckless cuts that are going to cost us even more down the road are the way to go. The right comes in and destroys everything with their austerity measures, and ultimately the electorate wakes up and goes "what the hell have we done?" Then the left gets elected in to fix the mess, and when that starts costing money (as it always will after one of these right-wing governments) people start complaining convinced (by less than ethical right-wing politicians) they can have their cake and eat it too. Remember "health care where and when you need it" ? In this province we are still paying for the austerity measures of a previous government.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

flamingfingers wrote:Sure isn't anything in there for any Canadian senior!!!

Not true; Scheer has promised to increase the age amount.

And reducing the lowest tax rate from 15% to 13.75% will also be a big help.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Merry wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:Sure isn't anything in there for any Canadian senior!!!

Not true; Scheer has promised to increase the age amount.

And reducing the lowest tax rate from 15% to 13.75% will also be a big help.

Big help? I don't know about that. The age limit increase might provide relief of up to $150 and when combined with the reduction in the lowest tax rate a person could see up to $300/year.

Life changing? I think not, but I'm sure it will help some people cope with all the cuts to services they are going to see. But, let's face it. A vote for the conservatives isn't exactly a vote for a paradigm shift to the better. It's a vote for the status quo, by people that see themselves above the fallout.

Homelessness, opioid crisis, property crime, education costs, seniors - meh, who cares? There's $300 of my own money being put on the table here.

If you're interested the Health Providers Against Poverty - Ontario have published a report card. The conservative plan fails miserably. https://healthprovidersagainstpoverty.c ... port-card/

Return to “Federal Election 2019”