Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: NDP/Liberal Coalition

Post by Leifer »

I would prefer another Liberal majority over a coalition with the Libs/NDP/Greens.
At least the libs won’t *completely* destroy our already fragile economy on their own.

A coalition is the worst of both worlds IMO.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

If the Liberals win a minority government the NDP might hold the balance of power, with that comes the threat that if they don’t get some of the things on their wish list, they could easily bring the government down. But I highly doubt we’ll ever see a true coalition government, that would entail more than one party in key cabinet positions and in caucus. I don’t think Trudeau would allow Singh or any other NDP MP to have that kind of control.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Leifer wrote:I would prefer another Liberal majority over a coalition with the Libs/NDP/Greens.
At least the libs won’t *completely* destroy our already fragile economy on their own.

A coalition is the worst of both worlds IMO.

I agree with the coalition but I think a minority government would work well. There are some things the Liberals want that I am not fully on board with. I think an amalgamation of the 3 parties in power would temper things a bit. From both ends.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

butcher99 wrote:
I think it is the exact opposite.

And I think that you are 100% wrong.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Hurtlander wrote:If the Liberals win a minority government the NDP might hold the balance of power, with that comes the threat that if they don’t get some of the things on their wish list, they could easily bring the government down.

People worried about a Liberal minority with the NDP and Green Party holding the balance of power should consider a Con minority with the Bloc holding the balance of power (no one else will partner with them). That should prove to be quite amusing as Scheer tries to force his "energy corridor" across Quebec. Perhaps even more amusing will his efforts to force through the TMX pipeline. By all accounts (his) he will follow Harper's strategy and we will all be in Supreme Court again
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

consider a Con minority with the Bloc holding the balance of power

I have heard May and Singh openly discussing a possible coalition with the Liberals.

Have not seen anyone (of note) discussing a conservative coalition. The Bloc and federal conservatives appear to be incompatible IMO. But I guess you never know when one of these weasel politician types (of all stripes) desperately grasp for power.

I think the Conservatives are a majority or opposition.

Trudeau lost this campaign for the Liberals months ago. I have never seen a better example of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" since I have been paying attention to politics.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:That should prove to be quite amusing as Scheer tries to force his "energy corridor" across Quebec. Perhaps even more amusing will his efforts to force through the TMX pipeline.

Why would this be "amusing"? Thousands of hard-working Canadians are hoping/relying on their government to do the right thing.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Leifer wrote:Trudeau lost this campaign for the Liberals months ago. I have never seen a better example of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" since I have been paying attention to politics.

Agreed. There would be very little opposition to the idea of a Con majority if the Cons had been on the ball and selected someone people could see as a leader. If only both these parties could lose. They both deserve it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ka-El wrote:Agreed. There would be very little opposition to the idea of a Con majority if the Cons had been on the ball and selected someone people could see as a leader. .

So you are saying then that there is very little opposition to a Con majority. interesting. I agree.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Steve tried to convince us that coalitions are evil. Just wrong, wrong, wrong. And now we have the spectre of the Liberals, dirty NDP, and Greens forming a coalition. Coalitions are just wrong.

But if the Conservatives and Bloq form a coalition, that's different. Imagine the Conservative, blue blooded Albertans, forming a coalition with the Bloq. The Bloq will hold Scheer's feet to the fire and demand even more imbalance of payments to evil Quebec. And Albertans will go along with it. Priceless.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

bob vernon wrote:Steve tried to convince us that coalitions are evil. Just wrong, wrong, wrong. And now we have the spectre of the Liberals, dirty NDP, and Greens forming a coalition. Coalitions are just wrong.

But if the Conservatives and Bloq form a coalition, that's different. Imagine the Conservative, blue blooded Albertans, forming a coalition with the Bloq. The Bloq will hold Scheer's feet to the fire and demand even more imbalance of payments to evil Quebec. And Albertans will go along with it. Priceless.

These are not coalitions. They are minority governments. A coalition is when both parties join to govern in tandem with members of both parties in cabinet. I believe there have been 3 coalition governments in Canada. I seem to remember that at least one ended up in forming a new conservative party but I am pretty fuzzy on that one.
The last attempt at an actual coalition government was in about 2008 when the NDP and the LIberals decided to join forces with the Bloq agreeing to help them defeat the government. We all know what happened there. Rather than submit to the will of the people Harper requested that the Governor General prorogue Parliament. Dion quit Ignatieff became liberal leader and he did not want a coalition.
So, again, the chances of a coalition are almost nil. We get minority governments in Canada. Not coalitions.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I like and respect Richard Cannings, our NDP incumbent. I don't agree with his party on many topics, so I'm unlikely to vote for him. Still, I like and respect him. So I was very disappointed to see the call to action he had placed in my mailbox this week. It says "In the South Okanagan West Kootenay, only the NDP can beat Scheer's Conservatives. NDP 37%, CPC 30%, LPC 28% South Okanagan-West Kootenay 2015 election results. Andrew Scheer is in it for his wealthy and well-connected friends. We can't risk the Harper era again."

I've shown it to several family members who support various parties, some of whom are from outside the area and do not know Richard Cannings. Their response was "what a jerk". Their take, he is using fear-mongering and last election's statistics to persuade people not to vote for the Liberal candidate.

I can only assume this is something the party did on his behalf. At least, I hope so. This isn't a good tactic for Cannings. Is it a good tactic for a party that wants people to believe they will cooperate with the Liberals after the election?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

rustled wrote:I like and respect Richard Cannings, our NDP incumbent. I don't agree with his party on many topics, so I'm unlikely to vote for him. Still, I like and respect him. So I was very disappointed to see the call to action he had placed in my mailbox this week. It says "In the South Okanagan West Kootenay, only the NDP can beat Scheer's Conservatives. NDP 37%, CPC 30%, LPC 28% South Okanagan-West Kootenay 2015 election results. Andrew Scheer is in it for his wealthy and well-connected friends. We can't risk the Harper era again."

I've shown it to several family members who support various parties, some of whom are from outside the area and do not know Richard Cannings. Their response was "what a jerk". Their take, he is using fear-mongering and last election's statistics to persuade people not to vote for the Liberal candidate.

I can only assume this is something the party did on his behalf. At least, I hope so. This isn't a good tactic for Cannings. Is it a good tactic for a party that wants people to believe they will cooperate with the Liberals after the election?

It is probably true though. Great guy. Hope he wins his seat. With or without your help.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

He is a great guy. That's why I was so disappointed to see him using negative campaigning.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”