Lower voting age to 16?

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Lower voting age to 16?

Post by JagXKR »

gman313 wrote:
seriously. I can assure you most adults vote with only their priorities in mind, not "the full big picture"

Ok, ask a 16 year old a choice question. Next school year you can either have 10 days less of school or 10 days more. What is your choice?
The "full big picture" would of course be more, because they would get more knowledge and get them on a fast track for a better education, career and life.
Hmmm wonder how the majority would vote?
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Frisk wrote:
OKkayak wrote:Ok. If kids are smart enough and mature enough to vote at 16, then they should be smart enough and mature enough to drink at 16. Right?

Kind of an apples and oranges statement. Alcohol is harmful to teenagers developing brains, voting is not.

But developing teenage brains would be harmful to elections.
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

Raise the voting age to 21. The vast majority of 16 year olds simply don’t have a clue about election issues. I’d suggest most 18 yo don’t have a clue either and don’t vote.

Heck if scandalous Justin forms government again I’d say that 33% of the Canadian population don’t have a clue either. The liberals should have kicked Justin to the curb in 2018 and installed a new leader!

tomloudon wrote:Who in their right minds thinks these things up, oh yes politicians that want an impressionable persons vote. ok lets say you lower it to 16, now change the drinking and marijuana consumption age to 16, change the age that children can be tried as an adult in criminal court, Omar Khadre was old enough to be an enemy combatant, 16 year olds are old enough to join the military and go to war. Children at the age of 16 are to be considered adults and able to vote is ridiculous.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#266900
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

My youngest and I voted on the weekend. He just reached voting age, and I am proud to say he voted 'correctly' lol.
He doesn't think very highly of Justin, the NDP, or the Greens, and probably thinks they all have mental disorders. He and I rarely talk about politics, and I certainly don't tell him what is the best way to vote. Leaders might be encouraged by activist student groups to allow kids to vote because of 'climate change', but it doesn't mean all the kids are brainwashed. I wonder what kids pick up from their parents if anything even when politics is not discussed.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

one of my kids and i talk politics all the time , i voted ppc and they voted ndp , hope that helps

and yes for the record i voted ppc, second choice would of been conservatives

i could never understand why people are afraid to say who they voted for :135:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

EZGuy wrote:Raise the voting age to 21. The vast majority of 16 year olds simply don’t have a clue about election issues. I’d suggest most 18 yo don’t have a clue either and don’t vote.

Heck if scandalous Justin forms government again I’d say that 33% of the Canadian population don’t have a clue either. The liberals should have kicked Justin to the curb in 2018 and installed a new leader!

tomloudon wrote:Who in their right minds thinks these things up, oh yes politicians that want an impressionable persons vote. ok lets say you lower it to 16, now change the drinking and marijuana consumption age to 16, change the age that children can be tried as an adult in criminal court, Omar Khadre was old enough to be an enemy combatant, 16 year olds are old enough to join the military and go to war. Children at the age of 16 are to be considered adults and able to vote is ridiculous.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#266900

if they did that, good chance they win again, thank god they are to stupid to know it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

the truth wrote:one of my kids and i talk politics all the time , i voted ppc and they voted ndp , hope that helps

and yes for the record i voted ppc, second choice would of been conservatives

i could never understand why people are afraid to say who they voted for :135:

Ok, Conservative. Which is also how my son voted apparently. PPC second choice.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote: i could never understand why people are afraid to say who they voted for :135:

Well, it is supposed to be private and confidential, but when you got people arguing/debating politics I agree - why bother hiding it. I'm voting NDP in my riding this election because that is the best chance of ensuring the Liberal candidate doesn't win. I voted NDP in my riding last election because that was the best chance of ensuring the Conservative candidate didn't win. In the two elections before that I voted Conservative (Stephen Harper) because at that time 1) I was pro-pipeline (still am with some reservations) and 2) I was actually impressed with Harper's ability to lead a minority government (he certainly disappointed once he had a majority). I have no partisan loyalties, and I will usually vote according to a party's platform. That would have me voting Liberal this election but I won't support Trudeau. In my view (and this is just my opinion) the best outcome Monday would be another minority government. I wouldn't want any of these clowns having all power.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

CBC radio was asking people how they voted and people were phoning in to give their opinions.

The pro-pipeline is something you may have to give up completely with Jagmeet, is it not? Tho Jaggy did say he would support pipelines while teamed up with the liberals (who you don’t want to vote for) but even they don’t do pipelines well. Without the liberals, I don’t think he likes any pipeline anywhere. He’s wishywashy on LNG, I don’t trust him at all. You’re not anti-fossil fuels are you?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jlabute wrote: The pro-pipeline is something you may have to give up completely with Jagmeet, is it not? Tho Jaggy did say he would support pipelines while teamed up with the liberals (who you don’t want to vote for) but even they don’t do pipelines well. Without the liberals, I don’t think he likes any pipeline anywhere. He’s wishywashy on LNG, I don’t trust him at all. You’re not anti-fossil fuels are you?

Being pro-pipeline would be something I would possibly be giving up if I thought the NDP had any chance of forming government. I don’t. However, on the other end of the continuum, any efforts to ram any pipeline anywhere will be met with the same costly Supreme Court challenges as when Harper was alienating First Nations communities. I don’t know, or even trust, that Trudeau is committed to getting a pipeline to tide water, but I do believe he is correct in saying this needs to be done correctly (in collaboration with First Nations) if we really want to see this go through.

I am and I am not anti-fossil fuels. I do believe that in the long term we are going to have to develop alternative energy sources and get us off fossil fuel dependence. However, I am not so naïve as to believe this will take anything less than a couple decades (at least) to accomplish. We are not only dependent on fossil fuels for energy (fuel for vehicles, heat for homes), we are also dependent on its by-products for countless other purposes, some also critical (computer components, for example). We have a long way to go before we no longer have to rely on fossil fuels.

As far as trust goes, I do not trust any of the candidates to follow through with any of their election promises – and that includes Scheer. The Cons have run one of the most dishonest and nastiest campaigns I’ve seen in Canadian history and I am saddened by that. I can appreciate the anti-Trudeau sentiments, and I do believe he somehow needs to be admonished for his poor performance during his last mandate. For that reason, I will not support the Liberals in this election. However, I am not so naïve as to believe Scheer is being honest with anyone either
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Ka-El wrote:Being pro-pipeline would be something I would possibly be giving up if I thought the NDP had any chance of forming government. I don’t. However, on the other end of the continuum, any efforts to ram any pipeline anywhere will be met with the same costly Supreme Court challenges as when Harper was alienating First Nations communities. I don’t know, or even trust, that Trudeau is committed to getting a pipeline to tide water, but I do believe he is correct in saying this needs to be done correctly (in collaboration with First Nations) if we really want to see this go through.

I am and I am not anti-fossil fuels. I do believe that in the long term we are going to have to develop alternative energy sources and get us off fossil fuel dependence. However, I am not so naïve as to believe this will take anything less than a couple decades (at least) to accomplish. We are not only dependent on fossil fuels for energy (fuel for vehicles, heat for homes), we are also dependent on its by-products for countless other purposes, some also critical (computer components, for example). We have a long way to go before we no longer have to rely on fossil fuels.

As far as trust goes, I do not trust any of the candidates to follow through with any of their election promises – and that includes Scheer. The Cons have run one of the most dishonest and nastiest campaigns I’ve seen in Canadian history and I am saddened by that. I can appreciate the anti-Trudeau sentiments, and I do believe he somehow needs to be admonished for his poor performance during his last mandate. For that reason, I will not support the Liberals in this election. However, I am not so naïve as to believe Scheer is being honest with anyone either

Well, I suppose I am pro-oil/gas, but only for as far as it is needed for energy and products seeing there are no reliable alternatives. I think that despite the current party, any superior technology always takes hold and politicians can only watch it happen. Better batteries, Fusion, thorium, what-ever it might be, it will be adopted and can't be stopped. Even if Elizabeth May is in power, and if in the next two decades fusion power becomes a reality, May and her wasted wind turbines would fade to oblivion while the rest of the world pays $0.03/kWh without rolling blackouts and diesel backups. The question is, does the party make it an expensive journey or affordable journey while the long term path is inevitably the same for most of the world. Scheer and Maxine are maybe the least sycophantic UN nut-bars.

I think Canada will be reliant on fossil fuels for more than a few decades, and probably the amount of time required to bring 'fusion' to Canada and electrify heating everywhere and build enough fusion reactors could keep us using gas for at least the next hundred years or more before fusion could begin taking over. Saying that, there is no avoiding fossil fuels for the next few generations... so my vote is to make the process of getting the pipelines in, and doing what we need to do anyways as inexpensively and quickly as possible. I am hoping the conservatives deliver this better, as no other party shows an interest, having clouded vision due to their climate crisis beliefs.

I trust May and Jagmeet will make energy more painful despite not being able to do anything about it. Justin too will make people pay MORE for pollution as he calls it. I think Scheer might have some better approaches. May is quite open about hiring the mafia to drill holes in everyone's gas tank and force the use of skateboards. My mind was totally closed to everything she says, for it could just as well be the Extinction Rebellion talking. lol.

It has been a nasty election, worst I recall. Everyone is so polarized, but that happened recently and maybe a result of Trudeau. He lost me at peoplekind, and so many other things. If I had to chose between Trudeau and Jagmeet, probably Trudeau would be my choice since he is a little more balanced in his energy tortures, and despite McKenna being a laughing stock.

Oh, and yeah, you should be 18 or higher to vote ;-)

Return to “Federal Election 2019”