So we don't go off topic

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: So we don't go off topic

Post by Bsuds »

Drip_Torch wrote:I hope you find something to vote for. If not a candidate or a leader, go with your values and your vision for the future. I know that worked for me.

We have voted all ready but I am not happy with what has been put forth as choices either locally or in charge.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

I very much appreciated what Ka-EI posted but with a caveat.

Mainstream news has regressed into the Canadian version of Americanized journalism. More and more throughout this election campaign I read headlines or listened to broadcasts that were either blatantly partisan or so thick with innuendo and opinion they became completely useless in my decision making.

The giants in the business cherry picked what they wanted voters to know and framed headlines in the way they wanted the article interpreted. Lots of click bait words, inflammatory and sensationalized wording, unflattering photos, and far, far too much opinion.

The Canadian media (and yes that definitely includes CTV/Global) are in a position of public trust and IMO abused that trust.

What I’m going to remember about this election campaign is the blatant bias and obvious partisan reporting by the Canadian media. I hold them responsible for the hate, discontent and divisiveness Canadians experienced during this campaign.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

SunnyWays wrote:I very much appreciated what Ka-EI posted but with a caveat.

Mainstream news has regressed into the Canadian version of Americanized journalism. More and more throughout this election campaign I read headlines or listened to broadcasts that were either blatantly partisan or so thick with innuendo and opinion they became completely useless in my decision making.

The giants in the business cherry picked what they wanted voters to know and framed headlines in the way they wanted the article interpreted. Lots of click bait words, inflammatory and sensationalized wording, unflattering photos, and far, far too much opinion.

The Canadian media (and yes that definitely includes CTV/Global) are in a position of public trust and IMO abused that trust.

What I’m going to remember about this election campaign is the blatant bias and obvious partisan reporting by the Canadian media. I hold them responsible for the hate, discontent and divisiveness Canadians experienced during this campaign.

Trudeau gave the MSM a $600 Million, which has now grown to nearly $700 Million, bailout package to ensure the blatant media bias continues.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Omnitheo wrote:Image

Unfortunately far too many people are no longer reading news papers, they now simply get their daily dose of news from in front of the TV at 6:00 PM... and yes, televised news outlets such as Global, CTV, City, CBC etc are definitely heavily biased towards Trudeau this election cycle. CBC is by far the worst of the bunch.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The idea is to look at multiple and opposing viewpoints from multiple and opposing sources to form viewpoints. I watch Global and/or CTV in the morning while having a coffee before going to work, but I peruse multiple and competing sources throughout the day. While both these news stations have an obvious slant, they are not nearly as blatantly partisan as other sources. I know how outrageously partisan Brietbart, Infowars and The Rebel are because I do read the crap that gets posted here. I feel sorry for people who just believe that tripe without any fact-checking. I also recognize how reporting from the Fraser Institute or CCPA (I read reports from both) use facts from research but have biased interpretations of the facts. Problems occur when people only get their “news” from sites like Brietbart or Infowars and think they are reading truth. Whether right or left, I believe it is the extremists and the politicians who feed their extremism while promoting disinformation and attacking the media who are responsible for the increased divisiveness and polarization in our politics. As long as we are buying into and helping to facilitate this divisiveness and polarization these will indeed remain precarious times.
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

Ka-El wrote:The idea is to look at multiple and opposing viewpoints from multiple and opposing sources to form viewpoints. I watch Global and/or CTV in the morning while having a coffee before going to work, but I peruse multiple and competing sources throughout the day. While both these news stations have an obvious slant, they are not nearly as blatantly partisan as other sources. I know how outrageously partisan Brietbart, Infowars and The Rebel are because I do read the *bleep* that gets posted here. I feel sorry for people who just believe that tripe without any fact-checking. I also recognize how reporting from the Fraser Institute or CCPA (I read reports from both) use facts from research but have biased interpretations of the facts. Problems occur when people only get their “news” from sites like Brietbart or Infowars and think they are reading truth. Whether right or left, I believe it is the extremists and the politicians who feed their extremism while promoting disinformation and attacking the media who are responsible for the increased divisiveness and polarization in our politics. As long as we are buying into and helping to facilitate this divisiveness and polarization these will indeed remain precarious times.

Good post and agreed, mostly. Personally I don’t support nor do I read or view the outrageously partisan Brietbart, Infowars and The Rebel. I am right of center and they offend me. Hence, I relied (note the past tense) on our mainstream news media for non-bias, non-partisan reporting. In your own words ‘there is an obvious slant’ in what and how mainstream news is reporting this election and that makes them a part of the problem. Mainstream news perpetuates divisiveness and polarization by choosing to report this election with the ‘slant’. They alienate and offend a significant number of this country’s electorate and then they have the audacity to opine on why that might be? Because they are part of the problem, they have to take part of the blame.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

My experience from comments to news articles is that people tend to imagine bias where there is none. CBC is frequently accused of being biased towards the liberals and “attacking” the conservatives simply because they’ve reported on news that is inconvenient to conservatives. If you tally all the articles though, there has been plenty of factual news reporting that in no way helps the liberals either. When CBC reports on something like the Kinsalla and PPC story, this isnt “trying to hurt Scheer” it’s simply reporting the news. As we can see by the graphic I posted, CBC has never actually endorsed a candidate from any party. It is their job to report on the news, and that’s it.

Meanwhile, Sun news etc, it is blatantly apparent where their support lies. The Globe and Mail for some reason continued to endorse Harper despite knowing the problems that were coming about as a part of it.

We are actually quite lucky to have CBC in Canada. An organization that can report factual news, without resorting to sensationalism other shoddy reporting. Without having to cater to specific demographics to earn profits. Without having to scrape for donations from stoked paranoia. Without having to hock “brain supplements” and other pseudoscience junk to keep afloat.

This is the reason for the liberal media funding. To provide news organizations funding to report on facts, so they don’t have to resort to these methods. Of course, this still requires those organizations have integrity, and real journalism. Not be a blog that regurgitates conspiracy theories without any actual facts.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

Omnitheo wrote:My experience from comments to news articles is that people tend to imagine bias where there is none. CBC is frequently accused of being biased towards the liberals and “attacking” the conservatives simply because they’ve reported on news that is inconvenient to conservatives. If you tally all the articles though, there has been plenty of factual news reporting that in no way helps the liberals either. When CBC reports on something like the Kinsalla and PPC story, this isnt “trying to hurt Scheer” it’s simply reporting the news. As we can see by the graphic I posted, CBC has never actually endorsed a candidate from any party. It is their job to report on the news, and that’s it.

Meanwhile, Sun news etc, it is blatantly apparent where their support lies. The Globe and Mail for some reason continued to endorse Harper despite knowing the problems that were coming about as a part of it.

We are actually quite lucky to have CBC in Canada. An organization that can report factual news, without resorting to sensationalism other shoddy reporting. Without having to cater to specific demographics to earn profits. Without having to scrape for donations from stoked paranoia. Without having to hock “brain supplements” and other pseudoscience junk to keep afloat.

This is the reason for the liberal media funding. To provide news organizations funding to report on facts, so they don’t have to resort to these methods. Of course, this still requires those organizations have integrity, and real journalism. Not be a blog that regurgitates conspiracy theories without any actual facts.

I don’t believe I am alone in my opinion. The attached chart is a survey done in 2017 and is pretty inclusive of all of media giants in Canada. I don’t doubt for one minute that the bias hasn’t ramped up during the election campaign. There is bias maybe you’re just on right side of it.
Attachments
B0509C17-9422-4D79-AEF8-EBA391C86F10.png
Jmfva
Übergod

Post by Jmfva »

Robocalls tell voters to head to the polls a day late

Misleading robocalls reported in Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Elections Canada confirms

CBC News has been able to trace some of the calls to groups that are part of the Canada Strong and Proud network, a third-party group that opposes carbon taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We have received reports about some electors receiving robocalls indicating that Election Day is on a date other than today. We have no indication these calls are widespread," said de Montigny.

She said it is illegal to "wilfully misdirect electors in order to prevent them from voting."

According to Chris Russell, one of the directors of Canada Strong and Proud, the calls were a mistake.

What did the calls say? Go vote on Tuesday? Or go and vote tomorrow...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Untitled-1.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

SunnyWays wrote:
I don’t believe I am alone in my opinion. The attached chart is a survey done in 2017 and is pretty inclusive of all of media giants in Canada. I don’t doubt for one minute that the bias hasn’t ramped up during the election campaign. There is bias maybe you’re just on right side of it.

The fact that 16% of respondents believe the Sun Newspapers favours the Liberal Party reveals a lot about that 16%. On top of that, Postmedia (publisher of the National Post) give their newspapers explicit orders to "shift to the right".

People see bias when they want to see it.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”