Predictions

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Predictions

Post by rustled »

I predict parties who cannot win a majority under the current system will always want electoral reform because they want more power than they are able to get under the current system.

What all of us want is the best governance possible.

I predict people who want electoral reform will only support a different system it if it improves their preferred party's chances. That is not the same as providing better governance. I predict most proponents of electoral reform will not be able to explain how their preferred system would result in better governance for Canada, only that they believe it would give more power to the party they currently support.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jmfva
Übergod

Post by Jmfva »

rustled wrote:I predict parties who cannot win a majority under the current system will always want electoral reform because they want more power than they are able to get under the current system.

I predict people who want electoral reform will only support a different system it if it improves their preferred party's chances. That is not the same as providing better governance. I predict most proponents of electoral reform will not be able to explain how their preferred system would result in better governance for Canada, only that they believe it would give more power to the party they currently support.

would just be nice to vote without feeling like it's being thrown away. I think that is why we see a lot of voter apathy. What is the point?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
First sentence of first post...well that didn’t take long.

That didn't take long for what? What the hell are you babbling about now? Actually, I really don't care.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Jmfva wrote:
Electoral reform should happen.

In what way? I predict that you will say whatever way best helps the Greens and NDP.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jmfva wrote:
rustled wrote:I predict parties who cannot win a majority under the current system will always want electoral reform because they want more power than they are able to get under the current system.

would just be nice to vote without feeling like it's being thrown away. I think that is why we see a lot of voter apathy. What is the point?

I've never really understood this. How is it "thrown away"? Because your party didn't win? I've often voted for the party that didn't win (or in a municipal election for a councillor or trustee who didn't win) and I've never once felt my vote was therefore "thrown away".

What does the term mean to you?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

rustled wrote:I've never really understood this. How is it "thrown away"? Because your party didn't win? I've often voted for the party that didn't win (or in a municipal election for a councillor or trustee who didn't win) and I've never once felt my vote was therefore "thrown away".

Yes Rustled. In today's young generation, where they are celebrated and cheered for everything they do, there is an assumption that if they vote, then that party they vote for must win. They aren't getting the pay-off for their effort then the effort was just plain meaningless, and so therefore wasted. Must have pay-off, or not worth doing. That's what people are like now.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Using Jmfva logic, he/she should never vote again at least at the Federal level) because a single vote never makes a difference, especially when you have proportional representation.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jmfva
Übergod

Post by Jmfva »

rustled wrote:I've never really understood this. How is it "thrown away"? Because your party didn't win? I've often voted for the party that didn't win (or in a municipal election for a councillor or trustee who didn't win) and I've never once felt my vote was therefore "thrown away".

I support the idea of electoral reform, that everyone's vote goes towards the party that best represents their political beliefs. There is no doubt in my mind that many voters don't bother because its a two party riding where they live or they have to vote strategically vs a vote for who they are best aligned with. It adds a lot of noise to the whole system.
Jmfva
Übergod

Post by Jmfva »

Glacier wrote:Using Jmfva logic, he/she should never vote again at least at the Federal level) because a single vote never makes a difference, especially when you have proportional representation.

where did I say that? votes make a difference, but you can't always vote for who you really want to when you are forced to vote strategically. voting for the least crappy option isn't much choice.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

"Oh right - prediction - I am going to say that the Conservatives are going to fall about five seats short of a majority"
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jmfva wrote:

I support the idea of electoral reform, that everyone's vote goes towards the party that best represents their political beliefs. There is no doubt in my mind that many voters don't bother because its a two party riding where they live or they have to vote strategically vs a vote for who they are best aligned with. It adds a lot of noise to the whole system.

Thanks for your response. It seems to me we'd have more noise, not less, and either end up with the same results or worse governance.

But rather than take this thread entirely off topic, I'll leave it that.
:topic:

I predict people posting here are going to have a difficult time modelling the cooperative behaviour they say they want to see in our new government.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Ranger66 wrote:"Oh right - prediction - I am going to say that the Conservatives are going to fall about five seats short of a majority"

You do know that the election was yesterday right? Seems kind of silly unless you are posting predictions for the election in 2021.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jmfva wrote:where did I say that? votes make a difference, but you can't always vote for who you really want to when you are forced to vote strategically. voting for the least crappy option isn't much choice.

You said: "would just be nice to vote without feeling like it's being thrown away. I think that is why we see a lot of voter apathy. What is the point?"

Here is a secret for you. One of the most liberating facts is that your vote doesn't actually make a difference. Once you realize this you have no pressure and feel no guilt no matter who you vote for.

At the federal level when your vote is worth 1/ 60,000th you know that your vote will never be the deciding vote. Therefore, no matter how you vote you will not make a difference. Under proportional representation your vote has even lower odds of making a difference.

There is no logical reason whatsoever to ever vote strategically. That is unless you believe in some sort of funky quantum physics where how you vote will magically simultaneously change how thousands of other people voted.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Jmfva wrote:
where did I say that? votes make a difference, but you can't always vote for who you really want to when you are forced to vote strategically. voting for the least crappy option isn't much choice.

Just vote Conservative. Makes the most sense and you are voting to improve the lives of millions of Canadians by doing it.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I predict that within six months Trudeau will be caught up in yet again in another scandal or breach of ethics, he’ll be forced to step down as the Liberal leader to avoid having the Liberal government brought down due to a non-confidence vote.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”