Divided country

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Divided country

Post by Drip_Torch »

bob vernon wrote:
The Exxon Valdez sank when, 1987? How many years did it take to drag Exxon through the courts to pay for it all? 26 years. Exxon fought it every step of the way and hired batteries of lawyers who swamped the the State of Alaska and the fishermen with paper. Fishermen on the BC coast saw all this and how many of the Alaskans died of old age waiting for their settlement. Don't wonder why people on the BC coast don't want a repeat. Yeah, they're afraid. For good reason.

OT: Fun Fact --- The Exxon Valdez accident also set in motion the monetary instrument behind the housing crash of 2008. The credit default swap was created by JP Morgan in 1994 to allow Exxon Mobil to obtain a 4.8 billion dollar credit line just in case they were found liable for the accident. JP Morgan then sold the credit risk to the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development.

A whole new money market and a financial disaster was born. Billionaires - got to love 'em.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Drip_Torch wrote:
bob vernon wrote:
The Exxon Valdez sank when, 1987? How many years did it take to drag Exxon through the courts to pay for it all? 26 years. Exxon fought it every step of the way and hired batteries of lawyers who swamped the the State of Alaska and the fishermen with paper. Fishermen on the BC coast saw all this and how many of the Alaskans died of old age waiting for their settlement. Don't wonder why people on the BC coast don't want a repeat. Yeah, they're afraid. For good reason.

OT: Fun Fact --- The Exxon Valdez accident also set in motion the monetary instrument behind the housing crash of 2008. The credit default swap was created by JP Morgan in 1994 to allow Exxon Mobil to obtain a 4.8 billion dollar credit line just in case they were found liable for the accident. JP Morgan then sold the credit risk to the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development.

A whole new money market and a financial disaster was born. Billionaires - got to love 'em.

We need more buttons.
'like' the info, 'sad' about the reality.
And the guilty were gone by the time the cops showed up.....
sixxonesixx
Fledgling

Post by sixxonesixx »

Never really got into the politics but this year I decided not to vote. After seeing the political map, it appears most provincial boundaries in Canada did not vote for Justy. And correct if I'm wrong , but I thought I saw that Conservatives got higher number of votes. My issue is the way the seats are distributed in favor of the east. I'm not for dividing Canada but proof is in the pudding. The popular vote for seats are eastern. Politics have clearly divided Canada, not the people. We need a proportionate number of seats provincially. Lets put some more seats in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg.
Any politician can look good handing out money like Halloween candy. Lets throw on some headgear and try to lure East Indian votes. Lets hang out with First nations and shed a tear while giving them truckloads of money (knowing it won't do squat). At the end of the day, Trudeau is just adding to the recession woes.
Finally, I don't like Conservatives either. NDP... lol. They need a little more experience although he picks up quick. Tell people everything they want to hear, and talk faster than the rest. If it comes down to truth, I'd say Green Party should have got my vote....
Times are a changin'
Jmfva
Übergod

Post by Jmfva »

sixxonesixx wrote:Never really got into the politics but this year I decided not to vote. After seeing the political map, it appears most provincial boundaries in Canada did not vote for Justy. And correct if I'm wrong , but I thought I saw that Conservatives got higher number of votes. My issue is the way the seats are distributed in favor of the east. I'm not for dividing Canada but proof is in the pudding. The popular vote for seats are eastern. Politics have clearly divided Canada, not the people. We need a proportionate number of seats provincially. Lets put some more seats in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg.
Any politician can look good handing out money like Halloween candy. Lets throw on some headgear and try to lure East Indian votes. Lets hang out with First nations and shed a tear while giving them truckloads of money (knowing it won't do squat). At the end of the day, Trudeau is just adding to the recession woes.
Finally, I don't like Conservatives either. NDP... lol. They need a little more experience although he picks up quick. Tell people everything they want to hear, and talk faster than the rest. If it comes down to truth, I'd say Green Party should have got my vote....
Times are a changin'

we need electoral reform, there are petitions on change.org and fairvote.ca. Time for change! The seats would have been fairly distributed under the proportional representation model. Enough signatures and it has to be presented to the house.
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

sixxonesixx wrote:Never really got into the politics but this year I decided not to vote. After seeing the political map, it appears most provincial boundaries in Canada did not vote for Justy. And correct if I'm wrong , but I thought I saw that Conservatives got higher number of votes. My issue is the way the seats are distributed in favor of the east. I'm not for dividing Canada but proof is in the pudding. The popular vote for seats are eastern. Politics have clearly divided Canada, not the people. We need a proportionate number of seats provincially. Lets put some more seats in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina and Winnipeg.'

There is also a rural/urban divide so as much as I agree with a proportionate number of seats provincially I don’t necessarily agree they should be in the cities. There are rural ridings in Canada that are massive and should be reviewed on that alone. More importantly a Canadian in rural Canada does not have the same needs in common with an urban Canadian. Public transit for example doesn’t hold the same value for rural communities as it does for urban centres but good major and secondary highways are critical.

I’m just saying if we really want to unite this country all people need to be considered.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Personally I don't think the urban and rural divide in Canada is as bad as it is in the US, maybe in this election it was but I don't think it's permanent or something worth changing our electoral system over. Once trudeau finishes his term and we get a competent prime minster who doesn't constantly exploit identity politics then things should return to their normal path.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Frisk wrote: Once trudeau finishes his term and we get a competent prime minster who doesn't constantly exploit identity politics then things should return to their normal path.

The path we are on is the same it has been for some time. We elect Liberal and then we elect Con and then we elect Liberal and then we elect Con and back and forth we go. Thanks in large part to the level of increasing partisanship that we are witnessing, where no one will listen to or try and understand the other, the quality of our politicians continues to decline. It should have been easy to defeat Trudeau in this last election, and had the Cons selected just about anyone else to be their leader they probably would have. And still rather than take a real look at where they are failing to resonate with the voters, the hard core partisans are still making excuses for Scheer. Not too promising that anything is going to change anytime soon.
SunnyWays
Fledgling

Post by SunnyWays »

I took a screenshot this morning of an online petition that seems to be gaining momentum though how far it goes obviously remains to be seen. I guess I don’t really know how I feel about this. Divided I suppose.
Attachments
39BECB85-C666-4419-A962-30E7133852FE.jpeg

Return to “Federal Election 2019”