Is the Pot industry going bust?

dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Is the Pot industry going bust?

Post by dodgerdodge »

1791 wrote:
Desperate clowns. Grasping at straws. Weed is supposedly legal.

I don't think its anything to do with the fact that technically weed is legal, its more to do with obtaining the correct licence and abiding by local laws as to where and how it can be sold. Will this help the industry to flourish? I doubt it.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

1791 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/270595/Canada-s-high-flying-cannabis-sector-falls-on-hard-times-over-retail

exactly in addition to my last posts the ironic part of the whole deal is Ontario has few retail stores but with 1/2 the countrys population ;;less than 50 yet Alberta has 330 stores and counting and the government whole idea was to rid the country of the BM well all they done is enhance it so far;; no outlets and high prices (greedy governments)
the over supply is well north of 350000KG or Three Hundred Fifty Million Grams
Last edited by dontrump on Nov 16th, 2019, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Alberta will see many of those stores close. Albertans are not fans of overpriced garbage. The black market has better product better price. Support your local dope grower. Save the tax and a whole lot more.

The thing thay gets me is these companies are all run by government types from Ontario. It is the blind leading the blind. Johnny come lately gonna get taken for a ride
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

1791 wrote:Alberta will see many of those stores close. Albertans are not fans of overpriced garbage. The black market has better product better price. Support your local dope grower. Save the tax and a whole lot more.

The thing thay gets me is these companies are all run by government types from Ontario. It is the blind leading the blind. Johnny come lately gonna get taken for a ride

BM does not have better product but less than 1/2 the price of controlled retail ;; I have not heard or seen where any stores are closing government regulations is definitely smothering the legal retailer
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:they will be just fine if they drop there prices by at least 25%, And they will still make hundreds of millions profit. until then the black market will survive and they know it.. unless they really are that stupid

Not sure why you would put your money and future on the line. What are the odds they will successfully be licenced now? I think their only option is to sell out to a company that has put the time and effort in place.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

the truth wrote:they will be just fine if they drop there prices by at least 25%, And they will still make hundreds of millions profit. until then the black market will survive and they know it.. unless they really are that stupid

I have to agree they need to drop the prices BUT the government needs to charge less tax also and they need to lesson the requirement of extravagant packaging this is a complaint all through the industry
not sure about the hundreds of millions as there are many mini producers out there also
good example is the one out in armstong called lotus ventures they only produce high grade weed and about 2000KG
per year
HEXO corporation started selling a gram of weed for $4.50 tax in about a month ago but only in Quebec
so far does not seemed to have helped them
To me theres 4 things as said above need to change 1) more retail stores 2) lower prices 3) less government interference
4) The #1 enemy is crackdown on the Black Market
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

dontrump wrote:

I have to agree they need to drop the prices BUT the government needs to charge less tax also and they need to lesson the requirement of extravagant packaging this is a complaint all through the industry
not sure about the hundreds of millions as there are many mini producers out there also
good example is the one out in armstong called lotus ventures they only produce high grade weed and about 2000KG
per year
HEXO corporation started selling a gram of weed for $4.50 tax in about a month ago but only in Quebec
so far does not seemed to have helped them
To me theres 4 things as said above need to change 1) more retail stores 2) lower prices 3) less government interference
4) The #1 enemy is crackdown on the Black Market

Why crack down on the black market. That is who created the whole industry. Created the demand. Kept strains alive. Allowed weed to proliferate. Does not seem to require any government help.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Why crack down on the black market. That is who created the whole industry. Created the demand. Kept strains alive. Allowed weed to proliferate. Does not seem to require any government help.

LOL all I can say is you really have to kidding us here with that opinion?
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Im actually seripus. I know many who have done well in weed. None are involved with the government. Government is the problem
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I don't smoke the stuff (I tried it once several years ago and darn near hacked up a lung lol) but based on how they're handling it they're not gonna get the tax dollars they think they will be getting as users are just gonna keep going to more affordable or trusted sources as they have always done.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

The black market works because there's low overhead, a large distribution system and it's self governing. No legal cannabis company can compete with that! By allowing individuals to grow up to four pot plants the government has inadvertently strengthened the black market; there's little to no fear of getting caught anymore. On the other hand, making it illegal to grow would have been a win for cannabis companies but more so for the black market. As it stands now, if the government lowers taxes on cannabis the black market just follows so I can't see how cannabis companies can profit. Funny because it was the government that said the legalization of marijuana will slow or eradicate the black market. I think it has strengthened it!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

How much does four plants provide vs # of crops/yr and the cost of nutrients and power consumption?
Bring back the LIKE button.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Four plants at a time will provide a person all the weed they want, plus some to "share" with friends. Cost? These are just like houseplants. How much does it cost to feed and grow geraniums or Diefenbachia? A good sized one can double as a Christmas tree.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

bob vernon wrote:Four plants at a time will provide a person all the weed they want, plus some to "share" with friends. Cost? These are just like houseplants. How much does it cost to feed and grow geraniums or Diefenbachia? A good sized one can double as a Christmas tree.

Good luck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Oh way more than that is used up daily just making extracts. Then u have the guys who hire semi trucks to take loads East. Thousands of pounds a day leave Kelowna

Return to “North Okanagan”