Silver Star Resort

fishertwo

Silver Star Resort

Post by fishertwo »

Just read that Silver Star Resort was sold, I have read a lot of US bashing on here over the years. We should be soooooo thankful that they are our neighbours. Canadians have always been slow to invest in their own country, I quess we would rather get that 2% in the bank .I quess that's why some people cry when they see profits flowing to the US.Let's face the truth if it was not for US investment after the second world war, we would all still be trapping beaver for a living. Everything comes from the US in one way or another. All we manufacture in Canada are frogs to train for our government.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/27 ... ain-Resort
cv23
Guru

Re: Silver Star Resort

Post by cv23 »

fishertwo wrote:Let's face the truth if it was not for US investment after the second world war, we would all still be trapping beaver for a living.

If not for foreign investment by the British over 200 years ago we wouldn't even exist as a country.
So why is it now we want to tax the heck out of, or complain about, foreign investment?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Guess it's one business bought up by the 'Mericans that they can't pack
up and move South of the 49'th.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Hope they don't do what they did with Whistler. The prices there have shot up there since they were bought out. They eliminated all of the deals/discounts they had for locals and folks from BC, offering those deals to the Americans who are season pass holders at their other U.S. mountains instead. I know it's not the same company, but this is a common theme at other ski hills/resorts have that been bought out.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

RustyCrayon wrote:Hope they don't do what they did with Whistler. The prices there have shot up there since they were bought out. They eliminated all of the deals/discounts they had for locals and folks from BC, offering those deals to the Americans who are season pass holders at their other U.S. mountains instead. I know it's not the same company, but this is a common theme at other ski hills/resorts have that been bought out.

There could be a number of positives with this organization purchasing SS. As far as offers … you mean like the one when you buy a season's pass like at Apex in Penticton you get to ski for I think 5 times at SS - Big White - Revelstoke and Oliver. That's called keeping it local. As long as deals are offered to both Americans and Canadians there is no problem … exposure for Vernon, the mountain and the valley is always good.
ranger49

Post by ranger49 »

RE: Whistler. Yes, day ticket rates at the ticket window have gone up.

However:
2016 Whistler Seasons pass - Early bird, best deal $1649 CAD, (regularly $2000) Epic pass in 2016 was $1075 CAD
2019 Epic pass - $1245 CAD

Plus you get unlimited access to 20 other resorts, as well as 5-10 free days at 20 more.

Of course Vail didn't buy Silver Star, Powdr did. I ski Snowbird and Copper and Powdr has done good things there. They are product/operation focused, not driven by real estate. Many improvements have happened at those resorts so I suspect we will see some improvements at the star.
Alice in Vernon

Post by Alice in Vernon »

Frankly, I'm disappointed that Silver Star has been bought by an American company. Almost everything they have bought out ie: Tim Hortons, has gone downhill.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Alice in Vernon wrote:Frankly, I'm disappointed that Silver Star has been bought by an American company. Almost everything they have bought out ie: Tim Hortons, has gone downhill.

really ?? been to tim Hortons twice in 2 years but still seems the same to me
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Alice in Vernon wrote:Frankly, I'm disappointed that Silver Star has been bought by an American company. Almost everything they have bought out ie: Tim Hortons, has gone downhill.

Isn't that why people go to SS in the first place? To go downhill? [icon_lol2.gif]
mcorg

Post by mcorg »

Sorry, but if you are attempting to justify just about anything, the last thing you ought to reach for is a quote that was made up for an actor portraying a fictional character.

Return to “North Okanagan”