Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

Post by Bsuds »

We got a phone call from a good friend today. She wanted our help as she was locked in and couldn't get out.

She gave us an address on Pandosy St and my wife told her I would help her.

We know she is suffering from Alzheimer disease so I told my Wife to call her husband and I looked up the address as this was very strange.

The address turned out to be KGH and her husband told us she had to be taken there because she got violent and he had to call the RCMP and emergency services to restrain her.

This is so sad for him to go through and we have had similar problems with members of my family.

I hate this disease and can only hope that one day there is a cure!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

Post by dirtybiker »

That's a tough gig.

What I found was finding pictures, lots of pictures from the sufferers childhood,
youth, etc.
Go through them with the loved one, get the stories.
The pictures that bring out the best recollected stories get blown up, framed and hung.

My Aunts place now has hardly a spot of wall, desk, table, or.
That does not have some old picture on it.
She seems more at peace, much less frustrated.

The stories from even before I was born flow like yesterdays happenings.
It is the last couple/few years,it's the recent memories that cause the most strife as
they seem just far enough out of reach to cause frustration, then stuff
may go flying.

The stationary bicycle seemed to help for a while too, better blood flow,
more oxygen to the brain, fires all the receptors.
(This I learned through helping with Parkinsons, I just transfer
it to cross many different dealio's now.)

I truly hope all the best.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No one wants to hear my stories on the ravages of dementia.

Sorry to hear this of your friend Bsuds. Astonishing that she had a window of clarity to have an accurate address, and that's what makes this disease so insideous. A window of clarity could fool anyone around her, or make them do things which appear harmless, at first.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I agree on the pictures Dirtybiker mentioned.
Plus as your own personal touch I would think one of your wifes crafts would brighten their day.
Does KGH have people bringing dogs through? That always gives patients a smile.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

stuphoto wrote:Does KGH have people bringing dogs through? That always gives patients a smile.

When I spent an extended stay at KGH 15 years ago (wow time flies) they would only allow our Dog to visit in the entryway.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Dementia is a general term for a decline in mental ability that affects your everyday functioning. Common symptoms include:

memory loss
difficulty thinking
difficulty communicating
difficulty with coordination and motor functions
general confusion and disorientation
Several factors can affect your risk for developing dementia. You can change some of these factors, such as smoking, but not others, such as genetics.

It’s important to understand that a risk factor isn’t a cause. For example, diabetes is a risk factor for both Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and vascular dementia, but that doesn’t mean it causes AD or vascular dementia. Not all people with diabetes develop dementia.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dementia-risk-factors
Bring back the LIKE button.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I just looked and there is a pet program that visits the hospital.

https://www.petsandpeople.ca/our-service/

I think you will like their Mission Statement
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

stuphoto wrote:I just looked and there is a pet program that visits the hospital.

https://www.petsandpeople.ca/our-service/

I think you will like their Mission Statement

I see how this could be of great benefit to all those that have access to this program, I know my mother would love it.

But......

Alzheimer's victims can not be rehabilitated. I am sure that she would greatly appreciate a doggy visit.

Just look of concern and care as she carefully rescued some baby Quail.

Capture.JPG

One at a time, they were all rescued.

Capture2.JPG
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

After posting that, I thought I would call Mom and tell her I would be coming for a visit tomorrow, if we don't get too much snow. I asked her if there was anything that I could bring her, (thinking that maybe would ask for a few of her favorite foods).

Her answer was both funny and sad. She said, "Bring be a coat hanger, some heavy duty tin foil, and a bunch of rubber bands".
I was dumbfounded by the request. I asked her what she was going to do with them?
She said, "Son, you know that I am a good shot".
I said, "Yes". AND that is true, she used to shoot our dinner off the back porch with her single shot Cooey .22.

She went on to explain that she could fashion a sling-shot from the coat hanger and rubber bands, the bullet from the tin-foil. She said, "I know I can hit these guards right in the spine, at the base of their skull, that outta give them something to thing about while I sneak out.

At this point, I am suffering from extreme side pain from suppressed laughter. I didn't know if she was serious or kidding.

I explained to her that she can't get out of the building without a security code. She then asked, "Am I in prison?"

It took a little while for me to get her settled down again, explaining that she doesn't even know where she is and where she would go after making her break out.
She asked me, "where am I"? I told her that, "she was in Rutland."

She exclaimed, "Rutland? , no bloody wonder I don't like this place, where's Rutland?

The conversation carried on from there, but I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Right now, I just want to cry.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I love it Alanjh,
Your mom sounds like quite the woman.

Now that I know she is in Rutland, if she can plan her Prison Break for this weekend she would probably love seeing the Gellatly Nut Farm. They are lighting the trees up for the season.
*removed*

I will probably have my mom there Friday Evening. She is probably around the same age as your mom.
Last edited by ferri on Dec 17th, 2019, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to site that is not allowed.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I was just thinking back to one time, when I came home, and there was a police car out front of my home.
The police officer was just coming out, when I asked him, "What has happened? Whats the matter?"
His reply was, "go ask your mom".

As I rushed in, thinking the worst, I said, "MOM, what is wrong? Why are the police here?"
She told me that old Mr. Wilson (Name changed to protect the innocent) was exposing himself to her.
Upon further investigation, I told Mom that, "you can't even see his windows from here."

She then moved a chair towards the window and tells me, "Stand on this and you can see right into his bathroom".
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Violent outbursts and mood swings can be dealt with by pharmaceuticals.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote:Image

That is a very informative. I have been doing some things wrong. I will make immediate changes to my behaviour.

Return to “Health”