Salmon Arm Businesses Closing

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Salmon Arm Businesses Closing

Post by oneh2obabe »

The end of an era for a couple of the stores - 1 has been in business for 38 years, another for 33.

Three businesses in downtown Salmon Arm and two others at the Mall at Piccadilly will have their last day of business before 2020.

The downtown Salmon Arm businesses include the Sportsman Barbershop, Salmon Arm Custom Upholstery and KFC. Retailers leaving the mall include Buggerbees and Bentley.

https://www.kelownacapnews.com/business ... g-by-2020/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Re: Salmon Arm Businesses Closing

Post by Brushy Bill »

Tough to compete with walmart addictions
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Brushy Bill wrote:Tough to compete with walmart addictions

Every place walmart opens a store it forces local business to shutdown. This is 1 of reasons I will never go into one ever.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

The end of an era for a couple of the stores - 1 has been in business for 38 years, another for 33.

That is so very sad, and I don't care what city, town, municipality, this happens in. These are places that know their customers by name, and welcome you to their business, as a family kitchen when they haven't seen you in a year.

Just look at the barber chair for example, I haven't seen one of those since I was 12. I bet there is still a "strop" hanging from the back of it. I know that there is an ashtray in the armrest too.

I hate Walmart.....especially since I know that all their profits are sent to the USA, while the workers here, make minimum wage.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

GordonH wrote:

Every place walmart opens a store it forces local business to shutdown. This is 1 of reasons I will never go into one ever.

Not sure what these business closing has to do with walmart? If you read the article, two of the businesses are closing because the owners are retiring.
Not sure what KFC has to compete with Walmart for?
The other two stores are chain stores and closing due to restructuring of the company.

I'm not a fan of walmart either, but lets at least read the articles before gathering the torches and pitchforks.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Loki2u wrote:Not sure what these business closing has to do with walmart? If you read the article, two of the businesses are closing because the owners are retiring.
Not sure what KFC has to compete with Walmart for?
The other two stores are chain stores and closing due to restructuring of the company.

I'm not a fan of walmart either, but lets at least read the articles before gathering the torches and pitchforks.

I was only agreeing with Brushy Bill comment, as for businesses currently closing to bad someone did not want to take over i.e those retiring.

I am sure within a year +/- of walmart opening in Salmon Arm locally owned businesses had close their doors.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

If they are closing due to retirement, that means that no new blood is willing to carry on.
Bring back the LIKE button.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Walmart competes with KFC and a Barber shop?

Lol

Return to “North Okanagan”