Merry Christmas

A potpourri of off-topics.
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Merry Christmas

Post by zookeeper »

DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, ‘If you see it in THE SUN it’s so.’
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

VIRGINIA O’HANLON.
115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET.

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by GordonH »

Merry Christmas to ALL
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Hey, let's be respectful of those that don't celebrate Christmas.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Happy Christmas to all who celebrate Christmas, and Happy Holidays to everyone else.

Peace and goodwill to everyone.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Merry Christmas to the cast of Castenet and all its followers. :130:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote:Hey, let's be respectful of those that don't celebrate Christmas.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Okay then... Happy Festivus
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Even Steven wrote:Hey, let's be respectful of those that don't celebrate Christmas.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

If they truly don't, they won't be clicking here.

Merry Christmas to all.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Merry Christmas.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Merry Christmas! :smt111
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Merry Christmas!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Merry Christmas everyone. btw, Die Hard starts at 11am channel 390 if you Telus
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays. Happy Christmas (for those from the UK).

Die Hard is on now - Shaw cable (FXX channel 447) - repeat at noon for those who missed it. Die Hard 2 starts at 9:00 am.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and hope everyone has a wonderful day!!!

Love Die Hard.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

It's just not xmas if you don't get to see at least some of it :) Read it is now an offical Christmas movie
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

SEASON'S GREETINGS

:130:

To one and to all.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Grab Bag”