All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Former PBO head says "Trudeau has no strong fiscal plan"

Post by The Green Barbarian »

crookedmember wrote:It's amazing what happens when you reduce revenues by chopping 2% from the GST,.

Why are Liberals still babbling about the past. If you guys think reducing the GST was so bad, why didn't you clowns up it again to 7%? Before you were embarrassed and humiliated at the polls in the last election? You had four years of a Justin Trudeau dictatorship to get it done. The only ones to blame for not finding the revenue are you guys. You up the spending, you have to find the sources to pay for it. Not blame old PM's. That's just guaranteeing that you will lose again.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
crookedmember wrote:It's amazing what happens when you reduce revenues by chopping 2% from the GST,.

Why are Liberals still babbling about the past. If you guys think reducing the GST was so bad, why didn't you clowns up it again to 7%? Before you were embarrassed and humiliated at the polls in the last election? You had four years of a Justin Trudeau dictatorship to get it done. The only ones to blame for not finding the revenue are you guys. You up the spending, you have to find the sources to pay for it. Not blame old PM's. That's just guaranteeing that you will lose again.

The thing about doing stupid things like cutting the GST is that the benefit disappears very quickly as the sugar high creates more inflation. Then the quandary - do you try to raise it back and now people really feel the pinch, or do you find another way to recover the lost revenues?

Tax cuts are almost always stupid. Including the latest tiny one the Liberals ran on.

As Mulroney found out, significant tax increases are pretty much a guaranteed way to get shown the door. Chretien and Martin got away with a little in the way of tax increases, but not much.

The fiscal mess was indeed created by the so called "Conservatives". They totally fluffed up taking Canada from paying down our national debt to racking it up again.

The former PBO head is correct. There is no strong fiscal plan. That only reflects the silliness of voters who always fall for the "tax cut to put more money in your pocket" rubbish. I suppose that sells because people can't seem to avoid "buy now, pay later" traps like maxed credit cards.

Now if the "Conservatives" actually lived up to their obvious propaganda lie of "fiscal responsibility" (they never do) then the "Conservatives" would have included major tax increases in their platform - which of course they did not. Trudeau won't either - and sadly not because it isn't the right thing to do, but because it would be political suicide. Canada's federal tax revenues should be at least 16.2% of GDP (maybe 16.5%) instead of drivel Stevo left behind of 14.0%. The problem is that without that level of tax revenue, it is impossible to maintain our social capital - which the "Conservatives" fail to appreciate. Trudeau is spending appropriately, but ignoring the revenue mess the "Conservatives" left behind.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

hobbyguy wrote:
The thing about doing stupid things like cutting the GST is that the benefit disappears very quickly .

Once again, why are the Liberal lovers here babbling away about Harper?? We just endured the hellish 4 years of a Justin Trudeau dictatorship. If the GST should be raised, why didn't Trudeau do just that? Why are you not extremely angry at JT for not following through with raising taxes, as we all know how much you guys love raising taxes?

I don't get it. Do you never hold the Liberals accountable for anything? Are the partisan blinders really that thick?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:
The thing about doing stupid things like cutting the GST is that the benefit disappears very quickly .

Once again, why are the Liberal lovers here babbling away about Harper?? We just endured the hellish 4 years of a Justin Trudeau dictatorship. If the GST should be raised, why didn't Trudeau do just that? Why are you not extremely angry at JT for not following through with raising taxes, as we all know how much you guys love raising taxes?

I don't get it. Do you never hold the Liberals accountable for anything? Are the partisan blinders really that thick?

Read what I said. The a GST raise would be political suicide and given the world economic situation, counter to economic stability. That's the problem with what Harper and fools like Poilievre did ... cutting a consumption tax to buy votes when times were good was just soooo dumb! Can't be raised now because that would be counter productive to normalizing interest rates and dealing with the aftermath of the foolish Harperite nonsense that caused interest rates to be too low for too long. Until the economy can adjust to interest rates around 2.5% or better - then you can't raise the GST. The mess that the Harperites left behind is not a short term fix.

And yes, the idiotic Harperite mismanagement still matters as a lot of Harperites are still MPs - including twits like Skippy Poilievre and Andrew Scheer. In Skippy Poilievre could become the new "Conservative" leader.

It is correct that JT and the Liberals have no strong fiscal plan at this time. That will take time to develop. First priority has to be normalizing interest rates. The real world inflationary rates for average Canadians of super low interest rates are runaway housing inflation, and runaway debt loads. Those are not quick fixes. We are probably stuck with a weak fiscal position for at 5 years or more, depending on whether or not Trump gets re-elected and continues his disruptive nonsense.

So in context, while the former PBO head is correct, that there is no strong fiscal plan, none is possible without more downsides than upsides.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The carbon tax is more than the cost of gas on our bills in BC. And Trudeau is slamming already taxed to the gills Canadians with more and more tax increases, just for the sake of virtue signaling.

46% of Canadians say they’re less than $200 away from financial insolvency. Imagine what an extra $50 a month to heat your home means to these families.

$50 might not mean anything to Trudeau, but it means a heck of a lot to a senior living on a fixed income.

Canadians shouldn’t be punished with a carbon tax for heating their home in winter.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:The carbon tax is more than the cost of gas on our bills in BC. And Trudeau is slamming already taxed to the gills Canadians with more and more tax increases, just for the sake of virtue signaling.

46% of Canadians say they’re less than $200 away from financial insolvency. Imagine what an extra $50 a month to heat your home means to these families.

$50 might not mean anything to Trudeau, but it means a heck of a lot to a senior living on a fixed income.

Canadians shouldn’t be punished with a carbon tax for heating their home in winter.

Plus tax of course - hmmm tax on tax could have sworn that was illegal
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Scare tactics there much?

That bill is over 4 times what my gas usage was last month!

How about using a realistic bill instead of one from a large warehouse or wherever that was pulled from.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Gone_Fishin wrote:The carbon tax is more than the cost of gas on our bills in BC.

Actually, the BC Socreds/Conservatives brought the carbon tax to BC about a dozen years ago. I'm not surprised you were not aware of this.

I'm also not surprised you don't understand why the carbon tax is currently higher than the price of the commodity and have made no attempts to discover why.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Actually hobbyguy you have hit the nail on the head. "Political suicide" is the whole problem. All these parties are more worried about their future than the future of Canada. Somehow we have to find some politicians that do the right thing for Canada and not put themselves first. I doubt if those people exist but it would be nice. Forget about looking good on the world stage or whatever and work for Canada. Stop using our money to buy votes. Stop making promises you can't keep just to get votes.

Sorry I just momentarily drifted off in dream world. I'll try to control myself.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

crookedmember wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:The carbon tax is more than the cost of gas on our bills in BC.

Actually, the BC Socreds/Conservatives brought the carbon tax to BC about a dozen years ago. I'm not surprised you were not aware of this.

Actually, the BC Liberals brought it in. Nothing to do with the Conservatives.

And the BC NDP increased it to dizzying heights, making it non-revenue-neutral to fund a payoff to their union chums. They still *bleep* that up though, as the cost of the union payoff is even more than the taxation they foisted on low income BCers to heat their homes in the winter.
Last edited by Gone_Fishin on Dec 28th, 2019, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 28th, 2019, 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by Catsumi »

Here is a place to post complaints about JT rather than the Mods forever having to remove your posts from threads that just aren't a perfect fit
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: All Things Trudeau, Chapter 2

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Justin Trudeau is the worst PM Canada has ever had. Period.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

He has poor taste in socks and his barber is blind ! :D

Not very co-ordinated either, seems to trip over his
tongue quite a bit.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

The poorly educated and backwater bumpkins hate him, so he must be bad!
All posts 100% moderator approved!

Return to “Canada”