Deer, Rodents and 2 leggeds. Pest control 2020

A potpourri of off-topics.
Grand Pooh-bah

Deer, Rodents and 2 leggeds. Pest control 2020

Post by 1791 »

Thought this was a good thread title.
Have at er. Deer , rats and skids. Pest control 2020.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Re: Deer, Rodents and 2 leggeds. Pest control 2020

Post by Brushy Bill »

Empower those down-and-outs
:biggrin: Put a bounty on rats, hand out traps at sis, done
Set up SBS (safe butchering sites) binners trade deer for hot meals, done
puts a new meaning to getting a leg up

HNY everyone
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Baited traps for 2 leggeds !
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've heard Irish Spring soap set about the yard will deter the deer - I haven't tried it so no idea but I've seen it on reputable garden sites.
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Neighbour used part of my property for one of her gardens. She used the Irish Spring and it worked. I'm guessing she'll have tons of the soap spread around her flowers next year - deer had a nightly feast this year much to her dismay.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Lady tehMa wrote:I've heard Irish Spring soap set about the yard will deter the deer - I haven't tried it so no idea but I've seen it on reputable garden sites.

Our two Golden Retrievers seem to be a pretty good deterrent. Neighbors Shepard might help as well.

Deer, coyotes and bear walk down the street at times, but skip our yard.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I don't know about that Irish Spring myth ?? many people have suggested it to use in your RV to keep mice out (didn't and doesn't work, only thing that does is plugging every hole where they can get in...walnuts in panty hose seem to keep the spiders out though which is great since I hate the sob's

tried the Irish spring to keep marmots away, didn't work, either did cayenne pepper or bounce sheets...( marmots can sure poop a lot and like to poop everywhere !!) but what did work was this Critter ritter spray and pellets that we got from Buckerfield's...worked like a dream !!

as for rats, we invested in one of those electronic traps and they work really good, but again the same thing with mice...if you don't plug the holes where they can get in, and clean up any areas where they can have a buffet, especially compost piles.. then everything you do is useless...

as for the comment to keep out thieves is to make sure everything of value you own is locked up in a secure place, invest in good security cameras, and have some motion lights..I did know a guy who keep a beer fridge outside ( very well hidden too) and someone found it and stole all his beer, so he put one of those alarms on it that screeches when you open the door...caught the beer thief who was not a "junkie, skid" but his neighbor who actually worked in the oil industry and made very good $$...it's not only poor people who steal even those who don't have to will sometimes..
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

A trick/repellent for deer is to use human hair.

Get it free from your local barber/hair dresser. Scatter/dump it around your yard. Old nylons (do they still have those?) Fill them, small bags and hang them protected from the weather in your cedar trees. The deer will stay away.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

I have a rodent guy come by monthly. I swear all he does is feed the damn rats. They keep eating more and more supposed poison. Yet only found one dead one so far. Tempted to cut him out and just put traps or poison where the rats appear to be nesting under an old shed. Love to get rid of the shed all together however it is needed until i can afford to build a carriage house or garage there
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I have a friend who had the same kind of problem like you 1791...he got a weed sprayer and filled it with bleach and water ( don't use too much bleach but enough that you can really smell it) and he sprayed the area where he knew the rats were partying, pooping and peeing and then set traps..it worked for him..after he didn't trap anymore rats he just sprayed that area with the bleach solution every now and then for awhile just to be sure they moved along..

tried human hair it also doesn't work..moth balls also do nothing but it can keep cats from pooping in your flower beds sometimes..

guess everyone has something that works :) doesn't hurt to try right :)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Using rodenticides kill more than just rodents. Putting poison out can affect all sorts of mammals including children.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

tried human hair it also doesn't work

It only works for deer, not rodents.

There is no single solution to all pest problems.

What works for deer, doesn't work for humans or rats. What works for rats is illegal to use for humans.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Fancy wrote:Using rodenticides kill more than just rodents. Putting poison out can affect all sorts of mammals including children.

Tell your kids not to eat rat poison. Show them what the little black boxes are. Not sure what else to do. Already using a professional. Getting no results for it. City is full of RATS. Time for the city to step up. Ya rite.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

1791 wrote:Tell your kids not to eat rat poison. Show them what the little black boxes are. Not sure what else to do. Already using a professional. Getting no results for it. City is full of RATS. Time for the city to step up. Ya rite.

Who's going to tell all the kids? The poisoning doesn't have to come from eating what's in the little black boxes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote:Using rodenticides kill more than just rodents. Putting poison out can affect all sorts of mammals including children.

Agreed, if a poisoned rodent is consumed by an owl, coyote, dog, or cat, that animal will also be poisoned and probably die as well,

Return to “Grab Bag”