Shortage of skilled workers

nicholas p
Fledgling

Shortage of skilled workers

Post by nicholas p »

In north okanagan we have soo much unemployed why can't we find skilled employees? the facts has to be investigated if the wages paid are less or just showing false data as I have been visiting Community resouce centre behind KFC in Vernon from last 3 months & have not seen a single job advertised?
How can hiring immigrants solve the problem permanently? why can't be a fee levied to sponsorer to hire immigrant & this fund can be used to train our local people
mexi cali
Guru

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by mexi cali »

nicholas p wrote:In north okanagan we have soo much unemployed why can't we find skilled employees? the facts has to be investigated if the wages paid are less or just showing false data as I have been visiting Community resouce centre behind KFC in Vernon from last 3 months & have not seen a single job advertised?
How can hiring immigrants solve the problem permanently? why can't be a fee levied to sponsorer to hire immigrant & this fund can be used to train our local people

First, welcome to the forums and thanks for the post. Second, please proof your posts before posting in order to make them more easily understood. I am not entirely sure what you point is when I comapre it to the title of the thread.

If you are concerned about foreign workers, most of whom come here to work in agriculture, they are a necessary evil. Many of the jobs they do are apparently beneath the average unemployed Canadian worker. And besides, it's often very hard work and who needs that?

I am not sure I get what you mean by "not seen a single job advertised" because I can assure you that jobs they are a plenty. People willing to do them, on the other hand are not.

Skilled workers has been a problem for years here and in many other places in Canada. If you are talking about trades, then this is the case for sure.

Sadly, hiring immigrants does solve a problem. It for sure serves a need for reasons which I have already talked about.

I definitley understand how confusing it may seem to the observer when you see so many standing around on the streets with their hands out while we import people from Mexico and other countries. MAybe try asking a few of them why they aren't working. The answers will likely surprise the heck out of you.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

I am going to put my two cents worth in on this topic of not enough skilled workers.
First in Vernon since I moved here twenty years ago this city as pushed it as a place for seniors to retire and a recreation hot spot. They have succeeded at this but both of these. These jobs employ at minimum wages, even trained nurses.
This is except for a few small business have no use for trades or highly trained personnel so why should the youth stay here?
If you ask the homeless, as I have on several occasions if they have a trade or are trained a vast majority will say yes. Asked why they live like they do many will say, why work when society will give us a roof over our head and something to eat or commit crime and pan handle on the street. This way we can live and do what we want when we want.
As one of our premiers roughly said years ago regarding welfare, give them a shovel and let them work. Maybe he did all those years ago have a good idea, look what has happened since then.
So we do need to let people in to work who have the trades and training we need. Why so we can keep the standard of living to which we have become conditioned.
I do think we as a society must stop and look at what we have produced in the way of living both good and bad then maybe sit down and come up with a better way of doing things.
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

Yeah I agree if it is only mexicans who come for seasonal jobs and return once the job is done butnot jobs like in restaurants like Subway,A&W,Mcdonald,Timhortons or industries which need trained personels or in hospitals like nurses,careaids etc. Getting immigrant is not permanent solution.restaurant jobs can be done by local people,if skilled persons hve to be broght ofrom other countries,the employer has to look locally by advertising on job boardsetc & ifnot found the employer can sponsor a immigrant buthas to pay the govermnmnt a fees everymonth as in Singapore which can be used to train a local person in tat required skill which compels employers to look locally & misuse of taxpayers money will be reduced
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

nicholas p wrote:Yeah I agree if it is only mexicans who come for seasonal jobs and return once the job is done butnot jobs like in restaurants like Subway,A&W,Mcdonald,Timhortons or industries which need trained personels or in hospitals like nurses,careaids etc. Getting immigrant is not permanent solution.restaurant jobs can be done by local people,if skilled persons hve to be broght ofrom other countries,the employer has to look locally by advertising on job boardsetc & ifnot found the employer can sponsor a immigrant buthas to pay the govermnmnt a fees everymonth as in Singapore which can be used to train a local person in tat required skill which compels employers to look locally & misuse of taxpayers money will be reduced

We could learn so much from Singapore
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 23rd, 2020, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

I’m curious about this program or call me skeptical lol The skilled workers must pass a myriad of tests and the employer has to provide full time employment at $25 per hour. Where does that happen in the Okanagan unless you’re a nurse or counsellor with IH. Not to mention many postings or part time, covering a position with a returning employee etc etc. I’ve been with IH since 2008 and a skilled worker and I’m maxed at $22 plus change per hour lol It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out and what companies will step up to pay $25 per hour. Unless of course it’s subsidized by taxpayer dollars. :135:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/27 ... ed-workers
Bullying is not acceptable and cowardly. You know who you are.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

nicholas p wrote:I have been visiting Community resouce centre behind KFC in Vernon from last 3 months & have not seen a single job advertised?

That's because this is 2020, not 1987. All jobs are posted online these days.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 23rd, 2020, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

I was a skilled worker in vernon. I got the *bleep* outta Vernon as no one wanted to pay me what I was worth (more than min wage) and no one wanted to rent to me for under $1500 for a basement suite.

Vernon has a lot more problems than no skilled workers. It can bring in as many workers as it wants. It wont keep any of them. Anyone with dignity would never stay in that *bleep* hole

Moved to Calgary and first job paid me $20 an hour. Second job paid $25. I now have 5 to 6 part time jobs. 2 different moving companies, dry walling company, construction clean up, work at a VR lounge, painting. lowest paid job is $20 an hour. I am working usually 6 to 7 days a week over 12hours. My WHOLE HOUSE that I am renting is cheaper than most basement suites in Vernon at $1250. Plus because I live in a larger city there is TONS of shopping, and things to do and see.

Vernon needs skilled workers, BUT what does Vernon have to offer them? Absolutely nothing. Well they get to enjoy all the lakes and nature for the first year or so, but once all that goes old, you realize... there IS NOTHING ELSE. The people, the government, the companies of Vernon offer skilled workers, NOTHING. They are selfish good for nothing losers that take take take and don't care one bit about others.

Don't you see what is happening wit them putting 200 or so immigrant Skilled workers into Vernon every year is? they replacing the home grown population of good for nothings with all out of area people. Because it is the PEOPLE of Vernon that ruin everything. The People in Charge, the police force, the people that live there, all the same. SELFISH LAZY GOOD FOR NOTHINGS., AND PEOPLE THAT REFUSE TO BECOME SKILLED WORKERS
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Glad you found a home in Calgary.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
lcpp64
Board Meister

Post by lcpp64 »

slimebucket wrote:I was a skilled worker in vernon. I got the *bleep* outta Vernon as no one wanted to pay me what I was worth (more than min wage) and no one wanted to rent to me for under $1500 for a basement suite.

Vernon has a lot more problems than no skilled workers. It can bring in as many workers as it wants. It wont keep any of them. Anyone with dignity would never stay in that *bleep* hole

Moved to Calgary and first job paid me $20 an hour. Second job paid $25. I now have 5 to 6 part time jobs. 2 different moving companies, dry walling company, construction clean up, work at a VR lounge, painting. lowest paid job is $20 an hour. I am working usually 6 to 7 days a week over 12hours. My WHOLE HOUSE that I am renting is cheaper than most basement suites in Vernon at $1250. Plus because I live in a larger city there is TONS of shopping, and things to do and see.

Vernon needs skilled workers, BUT what does Vernon have to offer them? Absolutely nothing. Well they get to enjoy all the lakes and nature for the first year or so, but once all that goes old, you realize... there IS NOTHING ELSE. The people, the government, the companies of Vernon offer skilled workers, NOTHING. They are selfish good for nothing losers that take take take and don't care one bit about others.

Don't you see what is happening wit them putting 200 or so immigrant Skilled workers into Vernon every year is? they replacing the home grown population of good for nothings with all out of area people. Because it is the PEOPLE of Vernon that ruin everything. The People in Charge, the police force, the people that live there, all the same. SELFISH LAZY GOOD FOR NOTHINGS., AND PEOPLE THAT REFUSE TO BECOME SKILLED WORKERS

Dont hold back. Tell us what you really think.

If you are an experienced red seal tradsperson with some years experience, you know “skilled” you can make $30 to $40 in Victoria right now. But that is a no whining & ya actually gotta show up kinda wage

Lots to see & do in Victoria,,,well unless you want to see snow & freeze outside. Heard it was -40C in Calgary recently
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

tfw program is nothing but a slave worker program to take advantage of people , tons of stories like this one across canada google is your friend https://www.ohscanada.com/halifax-busin ... n-workers/,
tfw program is all about keeping wages low for the locals
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lcpp64
Board Meister

Post by lcpp64 »

the truth wrote:tfw program is nothing but a slave worker program to take advantage of people , tons of stories like this one across canada google is your friend https://www.ohscanada.com/halifax-busin ... n-workers/,

These new programs/ideas have gotta go...

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... ic-railway
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

lcpp64 wrote:
the truth wrote:tfw program is nothing but a slave worker program to take advantage of people , tons of stories like this one across canada google is your friend https://www.ohscanada.com/halifax-busin ... n-workers/,

These new programs/ideas have gotta go...

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/ ... ic-railway

Yes agreed Immigrants exist from historical period but immigrants were not employed when local Canadians are neglected for example see most of fast food restaurants, motels etc you can see immigrant workers, do you think employers cant find local people for these kind of jobs?

Return to “North Okanagan”