Nasty flu bug

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Nasty flu bug

Post by cubafreak »

Anybody else in Kelowna get this nasty flu bug that is going around?My kids in Calgary had it, and now it has also spread through our famiy and friends here (my kids from Calgary did not come here) I have heard of people in Vanc and Ontario to have it too.It is a bad one that hits you out of the blue and usually lasts 24 hrs.Be prepared with a bucket and an empty bathroom!
I had the flu shot but it sure didn't cover this strain!
mee-mo87
Board Meister

Re: Nasty flu bug

Post by mee-mo87 »

cubafreak wrote:Anybody else in Kelowna get this nasty flu bug that is going around?My kids in Calgary had it, and now it has also spread through our famiy and friends here (my kids from Calgary did not come here) I have heard of people in Vanc and Ontario to have it too.It is a bad one that hits you out of the blue and usually lasts 24 hrs.Be prepared with a bucket and an empty bathroom!
I had the flu shot but it sure didn't cover this strain!

Had it about 2-3 weeks ago... it sucked! Just be careful to take your vitamins (or whatever your health reigme is), water and sleep, etc. afterwards so you don't develop a cold while your immune system is down (like me)

Lots of fluids and sleep really helped
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

What you had (and I had, and my son had) was no doubt not 'the flu' and no flu shot would protect you from getting it.

'The flu' is a respiratory condition. Symptoms include feeling sore all over (getting run over by a truck) and high fever. The flu lasts for days.

You had gastroenteritis, commonly known as 'the stomach flu'. It is totally different than 'the flu'. Gastroenteritis is caused by a number of bugs, chief among them is the norovirus (of Norwalk virus fame). It is highly contagious. It can take as few as 10 virus particles to make you sick. It comes on quick and causes action at both ends. It can cause convulsive vomiting. It does not typically come with a high fever and is over 24 to 60 hours after onset. It is the same bug that affects those cruise ships we've all seen on the news.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*bump

Still time for a vaccine:

So far this season, Penticton Regional Hospital has seen six patients with serious flu, and Kelowna General Hospital has seen about 50.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... gan#275481

Canada’s chief public health officer says more children are being hospitalized this flu season because of an early spike in a strain of influenza B, which hits young people hard and is circulating across the country while a strain that typically targets the elderly also makes the rounds.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6426162/flu- ... -hospital/

https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=90
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I missed my vaccine this year :(

Might be too late though, I've got something this weekend. Headache, fatigue, dizziness, lack of appetite.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh no! Take care of yourself well this weekend.

I had the flu bug early in but made sure to get the flu shot on Dec. 1. Last day required by work. Didn't want to wear a mask, but now? Should I be?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Queen K wrote:Oh no! Take care of yourself well this weekend.

I had the flu bug early in but made sure to get the flu shot on Dec. 1. Last day required by work. Didn't want to wear a mask, but now? Should I be?
Not if you don't want to (and speedy recovery to you Lady tehMa)
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

This season's flu started really:
https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=83009

I had not been sick like that in years. My immune system must have weakened, because I've had 2 colds since then, which has never happened in the past.

Seriously hoping I do not get the gastro/noro version. I have a real phobia of throwing up. That would be absolute hell to me.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've got sore throat and sinus issues - which made me think "cold, probably". But I've also got chills, dizziness, massive fatigue and soreness all over. Depressed appetite and chronic headache.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It’s an interesting commentary on the effectiveness of fear-mongering in the media that the Coronavirus that has infected 1 Canadian but killed none is getting all of the attention from the public, while dozens of Canadians have died of the flu so far this season and nobody bats an eye.

The regular anti-vaxxers in these forums who suggest the flu is nothing and that our immune systems can handle it just fine on their own are also in the other thread freaking out about the coronavirus. I guess it just shows easily some folks can be manipulated.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Lady tehMa wrote:I've got sore throat and sinus issues - which made me think "cold, probably". But I've also got chills, dizziness, massive fatigue and soreness all over. Depressed appetite and chronic headache.

That's how mine started. Then the cough came. I'm almost over it, this is week 3. :)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bleh - friends have what sounds similar or the same for a couple of months (maybe because they're elderly) and I feel for anyone under the weather. Life's too short to feel shi**y. Hope you feel top notch soon too ferri!

I had someone pass on to me what they called the "flu". It certainly wasn't but three days of buckets everywhere I curse the person that gave it to me. Then it takes a while before you feel like taking the stairs. Flu apparently is worse.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ferri wrote:
That's how mine started. Then the cough came. I'm almost over it, this is week 3. :)

NOT what I wanted to hear!!! :200: :panic:
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Queen K wrote:Oh no! Take care of yourself well this weekend.

What? Wearing a mask? Any OTC mask is certainly not going to protect you from breathing in a flu virus that is
in size from about 20 to 400 nanometres in diameter (1 nanometre = 10-9 meters). By contrast, the smallest bacteria are about 400 nanometres in size.

The Health Authority in Ontario on Global tonight said that OTC masks are not effective in screening our the virus but may help slightly in controlling the number of viruses spewed out by infected people when they cough or sneeze.

Maybe you should offer a mask to the people you attend instead :D
Chill
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Lady tehMa wrote:
NOT what I wanted to hear!!! :200: :panic:

I coughed so hard the ribs on my right side hurt, it felt like one of them was popping in and out. :D It's starting to feel better but today I was walking through the house and coughed, I felt a POP on the right side in my back and now it hurts to cough, breathe, laugh, sneeze, stand up, sit...this is such fun! :D

:cry:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Health”