Shortage of skilled workers

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by alanjh595 »

These are "unskilled" jobs. The problem with these positions is that there is no possibility for advancement, unless you are hoping to obtain the position of "Head Chambermaid" and accept the $1/hr raise over minimum wage, after 8 years of service.

NO....I don't think that employers can find locals to do these jobs, if they do, the staff turnover is high and retraining is expensive.

TFW are keeping these low profit businesses alive. Without them, there would be no spin-off work available for bartenders and waitresses.....etc.
Bring back the LIKE button.
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

alanjh595 wrote:These are "unskilled" jobs. The problem with these positions is that there is no possibility for advancement, unless you are hoping to obtain the position of "Head Chambermaid" and accept the $1/hr raise over minimum wage, after 8 years of service.

NO....I don't think that employers can find locals to do these jobs, if they do, the staff turnover is high and retraining is expensive.

TFW are keeping these low profit businesses alive. Without them, there would be no spin-off work available for bartenders and waitresses.....etc.

I don't agree with you about training period as the immigrants also stay in these jobs only until they get PR under PNP scheme & then they apply for jobs in their line of education as most of these immigrants are skilled and educated in different stream which is abundant here which causes glut in that skill locally in job market which indirectly causes our local kids who are just out of universities under paid or unemployed. The only reason employers prefer immigrants as no authority is monitoring once inside Canada if they are treated as per labour law or not, immigrant is scared to complain against the mistreatment bcoz if he complains employer will send him back & his dream of getting PR is dashed . Also he will lose the money he has paid to immigration agent for coming to Canada.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Being a commercial driver I've seen some of these so called job postings on job sites like indeed, and kijiji.

I have 18 years experience 15 of them driving a logging truck, and a clean drivers abstract. Not to brag but I'm top tier when it comes to driving trucks. I would apply to these jobs during break up but never got replies back. No call backs or interviews. I also have excellent references. So it makes me wonder who's getting the call backs on those job postings.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Gixxer wrote:Being a commercial driver I've seen some of these so called job postings on job sites like indeed, and kijiji.

I have 18 years experience 15 of them driving a logging truck, and a clean drivers abstract. Not to brag but I'm top tier when it comes to driving trucks. I would apply to these jobs during break up but never got replies back. No call backs or interviews. I also have excellent references. So it makes me wonder who's getting the call backs on those job postings.

exactly, but hey lets not talk about tfw program and its slave labour
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

I was told today that migrant workers in Canada have been used as unwilling organ donors. This was taught to a friend of mine at some bleeding heart workshop held in Kelowna on Thursday.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

1791 wrote:I was told today that migrant workers in Canada have been used as unwilling organ donors. This was taught to a friend of mine at some bleeding heart workshop held in Kelowna on Thursday.

interesting .................... would not surprise me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

This isn't the conspiracy thread

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Even Steven wrote:
nicholas p wrote:I have been visiting Community resouce centre behind KFC in Vernon from last 3 months & have not seen a single job advertised?

That's because this is 2020, not 1987. All jobs are posted online these days.

He has got you there Nicholas :laugh:
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Any sign of the 2500 the UN plans to dump into Vernon. Where will they all live ?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

1791 wrote:Any sign of the 2500 the UN plans to dump into Vernon. Where will they all live ?

exactly............. tfw - something like this maybe https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... r-refugees
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

They must step right over the homeless folks when giving away these free hotel rooms .
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

1791 wrote:Any sign of the 2500 the UN plans to dump into Vernon. Where will they all live ?

Not sure how you confused 300 with 2500. And that 300 is over 3 years.
But remember the min job wage attached to this program is $25 an hour.
Should be no problem finding a spot 100 a year with that type of salary.

:biggrin:
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

25 an hr is not much money to live off around here. Also. Are there really no locals to work at 25 an hr. I do not believe that for a second
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

There is a skilled labor in Vernon as per the article.
$25/hr is considered a living wage in Vernon, as per the article.

Every post you have made in this thread indicates you did not read the article in question.
ajoker

Post by ajoker »

1791 wrote:25 an hr is not much money to live off around here. Also. Are there really no locals to work at 25 an hr. I do not believe that for a second

Of course there is, but they're all unskilled.

Oh wait, I forgot truck drivers and forestry workers have all those transferrable tech skills companies are looking for nowadays.

Return to “North Okanagan”