Nasty flu bug

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Nasty flu bug

Post by Lady tehMa »

Awww, ferri :( You should see a chiro, stat!

I saw my doc today about bloodwork, and he says I "probably have that nasty cold flu thing that's going around" but the good news is I don't have strep.
Last edited by Lady tehMa on Jan 27th, 2020, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't failed until I quit.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I think that would kill me. LOL I'm sure it'll feel better after a nights rest. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^ turn off TV football games ??
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

That might be the problem! No football! Only the Super Bowl left so I'm not getting enough exercise helping the players and shaking fists at refs. :D

My back is still really sore this morning. It feels like I pulled muscles back there.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Back hurt. Usually caused by over-ambitious lawn bowling.

Do the right thing ferri. Find a hammock.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Easiest way to protect ones self is to wash your hands, oh yes between hand washing don't touch your face.
Fastest way nasties enter is via mouth, nose & eyes.

I've never gone to have a flu shot, btw I have never had the flu.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

theBreaker.news
@theBreakerNews
·
8h
On masks, Dr. Bonnie Henry says they ask someone who is sick and going to emergency department to wear a mask and wash hands. Masks may give a false sense of security to healthy people in the community, so not recommended. Wash your hands, she says. #CoronaVirusCanada #bcpoli

theBreaker.news
@theBreakerNews
·
11h
The Washington State website on #coronavirus includes tips on how to guard against the illness. Wearing a mask is not one of them. More importantly: "It is also important for people to stay at home away from others if they are sick." #wapoli #bcpoli
Chill
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The Coronavirus is a chump of an infection when it's compared to what influenza can do...
The flu has already killed 10,000 across US as world frets over coronavirus
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/03/the-flu-has-already-killed-10000-across-us-as-world-frets-over-coronavirus.html
While the new coronavirus ravages much of China and world leaders rush to close their borders to protect citizens from the outbreak, the flu has quietly killed 10,000 in the U.S. so far this influenza season.

At least 19 million people have come down with the flu in the U.S. with 180,000 ending up in the hospital, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In 2017-2018, the flu killed 61,000 Americans. Cornavirus has yet to kill an American.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Coronavirus is scary, but the flu is deadlier, more widespread
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/01/coronavirus-flu-deadlier-more-widespread-than-wuhan-china-virus/4632508002/
Worldwide, seasonal influenza epidemics cause 3 million to 5 million severe cases every year and kill up to 650,000 people a year, according to the World Health Organization.

"That just far surpasses the amount of cases compared to the novel coronavirus," Colburn said. "If you didn’t travel specifically to Wuhan, China, or have contact with a person with suspected or known coronavirus, your chance of contracting this is extremely low."
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The flu is less scary if you get the flu vaccine (shot).

The shot gives you a better chance than nothing at all.
There is no vaccine for corona-virus, other than segregation and isolation.
Even the most extreme antivaxxers would now take that vaccine.
But that doesn't stop some of them making this a Conspiracy;
Anti-vaxxer Anthony Mundine claims the coronavirus is FAKE and a 'ploy' to allow for the introduction of a 'mass vaccine' in bizarre Facebook post

Then there are the anti big pharma faction also jumping on the band wagon.
'I think that the spread was deliberate to create worldwide hysteria, hence vaccine sales,' one said.

How can they correlate a worldwide hysteria to vaccine sales, when there is no vaccine?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I get the flu shot but I wouldn't get a Coronavirus shot at this point. The chances of me coming into contact with the handful of Canadians diagnosed with it is non-existent.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I concur. And if I did inadvertently come in contact, I have a strong immune system and a healthy diet to ward off any pesky little virus. [icon_lol2.gif] :biggrin: :smt045 :200:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

As some folks continue to consume themselves with Coronavirus... this happened in Winnipeg:

The deaths and increase in vaccinations come just weeks after the health authority spoke out about an unprecedented year for the flu, which has led to a spike in hospital visits, overcapacity problems and lengthy hospital waits.

In January, the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) said influenza had stretched the health care system extremely thin, with influenza A, B, and a respiratory illness all manifesting at once this year.

The WRHA released numbers comparing December 2019 to the same time in 2018, and said between 120 and 130 more patients were showing up at emergency departments each day.

Of those, 22 required emergency treatment, and seven needed to be admitted.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are more and more articles coming out regarding the flu because of the coronavirus:

Americans’ concerns over the new coronavirus have spawned a public-health emergency declaration, a controversial travel ban and quarantine, and China-bound flight suspensions. But the better-known flu virus is a far greater threat to Americans’ health right now, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggest.

The deadly new coronavirus, first detected late last year in Wuhan, China, had killed at least 563 people and infected at least 28,018 people in China as of Thursday, according to the country’s National Health Commission. There were 191 cases in 24 countries outside of China as of Wednesday, the World Health Organization said, including one death.

The U.S., meanwhile, has 11 confirmed coronavirus cases and no deaths. Some 293 people had been placed under investigation for the virus as of Wednesday, with 206 testing negative and 76 more pending. The CDC has called this coronavirus “a very serious public health threat,” but adds that its immediate health risk to the American public is low. Health officials remain uncertain of exactly how the coronavirus spreads.

In contrast, at least 19 million people in the U.S. have experienced flu illnesses this season, the CDC estimates. About 180,000 people have been hospitalized so far, and an estimated 10,000 have died. Sixty-eight children have died this flu season.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/as-th ... 2020-02-06

It seems people ARE just used to having the flu around.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JennParker

Post by JennParker »

Jonrox wrote:As some folks continue to consume themselves with Coronavirus... this happened in Winnipeg:

The deaths and increase in vaccinations come just weeks after the health authority spoke out about an unprecedented year for the flu, which has led to a spike in hospital visits, overcapacity problems and lengthy hospital waits.

In January, the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) said influenza had stretched the health care system extremely thin, with influenza A, B, and a respiratory illness all manifesting at once this year.

The WRHA released numbers comparing December 2019 to the same time in 2018, and said between 120 and 130 more patients were showing up at emergency departments each day.

Of those, 22 required emergency treatment, and seven needed to be admitted.

It isn't the coronavirus itself that is deadly, it is what happens after. The virus wreaks havoc on your lungs. If you survive the pneumonia, you are very very susceptible to bigger problems. People that are dying, are dying from things like a staph infection in their lungs.

Pray this virus doesn't land on our soil. While a few cases are manageable... imagine 15 cases in Kelowna alone. Our hospital would have to turn people away. People would be passing the virus around... the more sick people the higher probability you will catch something that your run down body just can't fight.

We should not panic; let's not be naive either.

Return to “Health”