Home Energy Usage

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
thegoose

Home Energy Usage

Post by thegoose »

I am developing a spreadsheet that will show the average energy consumption and real cost for homes in the Okanagan. I’m asking people to provide me with the following:

Area of house that is heated/cooled
Type of HVAC system i.e. “heat pump cooling with gas fired forced air furnace and no heat recovery”.
Cost of Gas per year
Cost of Electricity per year

Hope you can help! Thanks!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Home Energy Usage

Post by Glacier »

thegoose wrote:I am developing a spreadsheet that will show the average energy consumption and real cost for homes in the Okanagan. I’m asking people to provide me with the following:

Area of house that is heated/cooled
Type of HVAC system i.e. “heat pump cooling with gas fired forced air furnace and no heat recovery”.
Cost of Gas per year
Cost of Electricity per year

Hope you can help! Thanks!

1) 3,300 sq ft (about 1/4 of the ceilings are below 8 ft for what it's worth, but you asked for area, not volume)...

2) Natural gas forced air. No A/C

3) Going by the new rates? Just the gas or do you mean my entire gas bill? Do you want me to include what I spend on the range, BBQ and hot water heating? My natural gas bill in 2019 was about $1400. 25% of that was taxes, 49% was the delivery charges, and 26% was for the gas. Keep in mind that 20% of my gas bill was for non-heating (range/oven, BBQ, and hotwater tank).

4) My electricity was was $1486.70 in 2019.

BTW, I did the long form census back in 2011, and my figures for gas and electricity were both around $1150, so costs have gone up by over $400/year since then!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Nice try, gas delivery contract sales guy.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Even Steven wrote:Nice try, gas delivery contract sales guy.

Quick look at his post history and profile - I don't think that's the case.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

2800sqft (1400 per floor) house built in 1991. 2x4 walls, R12 in the walls, R40 in the attic High efficiency NG furnace
+
1200sqft workshop built in 2015. 2x6 walls R20 in the walls,, R40 in the attic. Kept at 10*C most of the time. Mid efficiency NG unit heater.

Annual Gas bill ~ $1050/year for both buildings.

Average electric bill is $160 every 2 months - ~$960/year for both buildings. Workshop uses very little of that.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

TylerM4 wrote:2800sqft (1400 per floor) house built in 1991. 2x4 walls, R12 in the walls, R40 in the attic High efficiency NG furnace
+
1200sqft workshop built in 2015. 2x6 walls R20 in the walls,, R40 in the attic. Kept at 10*C most of the time. Mid efficiency NG unit heater.

Annual Gas bill ~ $1050/year for both buildings.

Average electric bill is $160 every 2 months - ~$960/year for both buildings. Workshop uses very little of that.

My co-worker just upgraded his furnace two months ago. When from the original early 90s furnace that I have to a new high efficiency one. He got a just under $1000 rebate plus a $150 rebate for the thermostat (that he purchased for $100!!!).

Anyway, his bill went from basically what I pay to what you pay (he figures so after two months anyway).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Creative Endeavours”