Nasty flu bug

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Nasty flu bug

Post by Queen K »

Not on our soil? Seven cases in BC and one patient flew on Air Canada, but no matter.

Want a science article on flu vs Covid19?

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronav ... h-flu.html

It breaks down to:

Flu has knowns.
Covid19 has unknowns.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Queen K, what is the point of that post? Trying to downplay influenza? Trying to fear-monger about coronavirus? It's like you think 7 cases of coronavirus is a lot. It's peanuts compared to the death and destruction influenza is causing.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Did you read the link? It was intended for discourse.
Do you have an issue with scientists debating the two viruses in a science site? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Queen K wrote:Did you read the link? It was intended for discourse.
Do you have an issue with scientists debating the two viruses in a science site? :135:

This is a thread about influenza... go post about Coronavirus in the Bickering Room. Or are you suggesting that there is a valid discussion to be had in comparing the two illnesses? See what I did there?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Jonrox wrote:Queen K, what is the point of that post? Trying to downplay influenza? Trying to fear-monger about coronavirus? It's like you think 7 cases of coronavirus is a lot. It's peanuts compared to the death and destruction influenza is causing.

Depending on how the authorities contain it, 7 cases is a lot. The spread ratio is about 1:2.5 or more. If those who carry it known or not are in contact with others, the spread is like that of influenza but the difference is that CV is far more deadly than the flu.

While today, influenza is wreaking havoc as it always does, the stark reality of this virus is the mortality rate associated with it. If it gets out of hand, people need to be maybe not concerned but definitely aware.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The thing is... that's a lot of "dependings" and "ifs" in that statement. So for now, there's no reason to panic about coronavirus.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No one is panicking. Just because people are informing themselves? Oh, and you put coronavirus in the flu side. Just to even things up, right?

Look I was hit by a flu just after I got a shot, this was three or four years ago. I could NOT get myself off the sofa. Even my hair hurt. It was brutal, the most brutal thing ever.

I would not wish that back much less on anyone.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/278641 ... -condition

PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!!!

One she just came back from Hong Kong and SHE'S 80!!!! Just existing is a detriment to her health.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

Sorry I don't know if this has been posted already the website for the BC Centre for Disease Control, it gives information about the Flu too.

http://www.bccdc.ca/about/news-stories/ ... oronavirus

Also: Public Health Agency of Canada has set up a 2019 novel coronavirus telephone information line at: 1-833-784-4397

I've had the flu for a couple of weeks, dragging on and still here, haven't gone to any Dr. yet, I figure it's just the flu. Other than going to a grocery store I haven't been around anyone who has traveled.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Scary, that our top provincial public health official has a mental breakdown when faced with a so-far small COV-19 outbreak. This is a serious situation and we need a leader who can keep a grip and not already breakdown crying on TV when faced with a bit of initial stress, while delivering a pathetic plan, and parroting media reports of the situation. We need a professional public health team with a serious plan, who can demonstrate confidence in managing that plan.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bonnie-henry-coronavirus-1.5490495
China is an example of how to action a highly-planned response and reverse the threat, rather than watch it unfold before taking methodical action. What is the plan for BC to prevent of full-blown outbreak, before it occurs? https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1917106

In comparison, here is a public health official who lays out serious facts.

Last edited by nepal on Mar 11th, 2020, 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
I fully agree. Showing Dr. Henry crying on TV was irresponsible, but typical of the media. It did not send a very reassuring message.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Potential COV-19 containment plans:

1). A simple and inexpensive plan that might help keep potentially COV-19 infected people from entering hospitals and doctor offices for testing, is testing them outside (see example picture below), and if appropriate to send them directly home to self-isolate and monitor. At the outdoor testing kiosk, self-care instructions, masks, and 2-week basic-food delivery vouchers, could be provided to infected self-isolated patients.
Alternative similar testing could be provided outside patients homes, with a phone-in assessment/request, with website-site self-isolation instructions.

2). Car parkades at hospitals could be relatively-inexpensively, temporarily repurposed as COV-19 hospitals. Give the structures a thorough interior steam cleaning, frame-in the exterior openings and interior partitions, add an HVAC system and other interior systems, and within several days it could be operational. A significant stock of affordable lung ventilators could be flown-in from China.
There are experienced BC hospital building contractors, who are capable of quickly doing a design-build to achieve such a temporary building conversion plan. At least at this time, they could be commissioned to formulate the parkade conversion plan, and hold it until it is clear that it needs to be implemented. Parkade conversion could even be phased from top-down as demand changes.
After the temporary use passes, remove the items, steam clean again and return the structure to car use.
Attachments
Outside COC-19 testing kiosk, to prevent infecting inside hospitals and doctor offices.
Outside COC-19 testing kiosk, to prevent infecting inside hospitals and doctor offices.
Hospital car parkade could be temporarily converted into hospital COV-19 use.
Hospital car parkade could be temporarily converted into hospital COV-19 use.
ironmanca

Symptoms of the Coronavirus

Post by ironmanca »

In the article it states that this is the "cold and virus season" I disagree, as there is no "season" for this. Why?, because the same cold and flu viruses you get in the winter are also here All Year Long, meaning the summer too. The main reason we don't get sick as often in spring and summer from these cold and flu's is because we are outside more, have our windows open and not cooped up inside breathing recirculated air. A lot of people think these cold and flu viruses just appear in the winter, when in fact they are here with us 12 months a year in Kelowna and everywhere else. :smt045

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... 9-symptoms
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Symptoms of the Coronavirus

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Health”