Best plan for weight loss?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Sofia Reid

Best plan for weight loss?

Post by Sofia Reid »

Well I'm trying to come up with the best plan for weight loss. I'm between two different plans and I've done each of them a few times. The two plans are as follows: Jogging - a moderate jog around my neighborhood with breaks in between. I take a break when my legs get tired then start up again. I usually jog 1.5 miles a day. The second plan is what I think is called HITT where you go gradually speed up then slow back down and repeat. When i do this, I usually get my breathing going much faster than the jog (if that is related to calories burned).

Now I was wondering, should i go with a jog or HITT or maybe a combination/alternation of both?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Best plan for weight loss?

Post by whatwhat »

Well "they" say that a HIIT workout will burn more calories than running. I am not sure if that is true or not.

I think the most important thing is to choose an exercise that you can do regularly and will stay consistent with. For example, if you hate running, find it painful, and have a hard time motivating yourself to do it then that would be a bad plan to pick.

I personally do a combination of both, because I enjoy both and like doing a variety of exercises. I find running very therapeutic and helps manage my anxiety. I enjoy HIIT (I mainly do with weights) as it can be done at home, within a shorter amount of time, and also helps to build muscle.
hail Satan y'all
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Main thing about any running is technique. Wrong technique will eventually lead to all kinds of knee, hip, foot issues.
Toes forward ( not 45 deg splayed out), land heel then outside of foot, push off toe. Lift knees straight up, don't rotate lower leg out from the knees. Arms moving for-aft, not across chest.
Watch a few clips of good runners, usually not much upper body movement. Good cushioned shoes. The fellow in Peach city Runners ( Penticton)has been there for years and is extremely knowledgeable about runners for you. Teenage kid at foot-locker maybe not.

Mix your runs up regarding HITT ( intervals) and just a steady run. one day intervals and two days later easy run. Intervals may give you stiffer muscles compared to easy run but a stretch AFTER, and plenty of water will help. Hydrate will lessen the chance of cramps 4 hours later. I found intervals great for getting fit ( cardio) fast and also running faster.

whatwhat wrote:I find running very therapeutic and helps manage my anxiety.

No doubt about that. trail running was one of my favorites.
Ever consider in signing up for a 5 k run in the area. Top flight people are competitive, but many use it as a target and might instill a regimen to keep at it.
I found, once they have my money, I better train. Never been trimmer as when I was running. Now its swimming, bike and new found exercise, rowing machines... not as trim as 10-15 years ago though.
Good luck and stick with it. with a reduced alcohol and crap food intake the weight will come off and body shape will change for the better. :up:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Switch from beer to hard bar. Turn the heat up in the truck.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Put an app on your phone like MyFitnessPal or Carb Manager. Start tracking every single thing you eat - you'll be surprised.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What she said^^

I was running, and weightlifting, but losing nothing. I didn't lose 20% of my high body weight until I revised my relationship with food. Counting calories is only part of the food end of things, one must make sure every calorie is beneficial for fueling the body. If you aren't getting the 'right' calories, your body will NOT release fat. I also began making sure I reached my peak heart rate zone for a period of time appropriate for my age group and physical condition. Peak heart rate is a metabolism booster. Oh yeah, no booze. Your body burns the easiest thing first, so the second you have booze, your body switches from fat burning to booze burning, and it takes a good while to get back to fat burning again.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Cut out carbs and go keto.

Exercise.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Lady tehMa wrote:Put an app on your phone like MyFitnessPal or Carb Manager. Start tracking every single thing you eat - you'll be surprised.

Agreed. No matter how much you exercise, it is very difficult to out exercise a bad diet. Managing the amount you eat, and what you eat will make the biggest impact on weight loss.

And you don't have to cut out carbs!!!!
hail Satan y'all
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Do not cut out carbs. Get high-quality carbs, instead.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I started with.......cutting all "white" foods or anything made with them.

Along with adding some simple exercise, I have lost over 70 pounds.
Bring back the LIKE button.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

alanjh595 wrote:I started with.......cutting all "white" foods or anything made with them.

Along with adding some simple exercise, I have lost over 70 pounds.

I think the most important thing is to find a "diet" that will work for you, as if you make a lot of drastic changes and cut out a lot of the food you like it will be hard to stick with. And once you lose the weight, and go back to eating what you like the weight will most likely come along with it.

Last year I lost that last 10 pounds I wanted to lose and I have been able to keep it off. I continue to enjoy wine, eat chocolate nightly, eat white rice and occasionally white bread! Just everything in moderation. And as long as you are burning more calories than you are consuming you will continue to lose weight.
hail Satan y'all
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Also keep in mind that everyone has a different metabolism and that what works for one may not work the same way for you. My husband and I both are eating keto. In the 8 months or so we've been doing this, he's down 50+ lbs and keeps punching new holes in his belt every few weeks. I'm down maybe 15 lbs, but I went from a size 16 to a size 10.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Exercise by itself is not good enough. As a couple of you have mentioned, you have to combine exercise with proper diet, and advice on proper diet is all over the board.

But, and she has a small butt now :biggrin: , my wife has been on and off Weight Watchers for years. What it does is encourage one to eat healthy. It allows you to eat pretty well anything, but you must track it. WW allows you to have "sin" foods in small amounts, thereby not denying you some of your favourites.

It does cost money, I'm not sure how much, but once you reach your goal weight, and stay within a few pounds of it, there is no more monthly charge. There are also weekly meetings which she attends, maybe she goes once or twice a month. These meetings give moral support and they handout a variety of WW approved recipes.

Whatever the cost is, I'm fine as the results have been great. :up:

She has learned how to cook healthy, which has spilled over to me a bit, but I won't tolerate too much of this healthy food, so more often then not, she has to cook for herself and for me. I do feel a little guilty at times, but not always. :admin:
I am blessed with a high metabolism and good DNA.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Super glue your lips together. Probably lose a few pounds till they come loose again. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Also keep in mind that everyone has a different metabolism and that what works for one may not work the same way for you. My husband and I both are eating keto. In the 8 months or so we've been doing this, he's down 50+ lbs and keeps punching new holes in his belt every few weeks. I'm down maybe 15 lbs, but I went from a size 16 to a size 10.

That is a key difference between men and women losing weight.
When a man loses weight, he puts a hole in his belt.
When a woman loses weight, she must buy a complete new wardrobe.

When I told my Dr. how much shorter my pants had become with my weight loss, he laughed at me and explained that I had found something that hasn't been seen in a long time, They are called Hips.

GOOD for the both of you Lady T. :up:
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Health”