Shop talk

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Re: Shop talk

Post by Brushy Bill »

I'm looking to do some body rust repair on a 96 Ram 2500, have too much money into the old thing to give up on it now.
Have two fenders and quarter panels, and the tools to start into the cutting process. Would like to do metal replacement instead of fiberglass, May have to invest in a welder and learn the tricks, or find someone who will handle the welding portion of the job. Not going to be fussy about lines or paint, likely will just use rock guard and Plastikote rattle bombs.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Brushy Bill wrote:I'm looking to do some body rust repair on a 96 Ram 2500, have too much money into the old thing to give up on it now.
Have two fenders and quarter panels, and the tools to start into the cutting process. Would like to do metal replacement instead of fiberglass, May have to invest in a welder and learn the tricks, or find someone who will handle the welding portion of the job. Not going to be fussy about lines or paint, likely will just use rock guard and Plastikote rattle bombs.

Dodge rear quarters had a defect for several years. The wheel wells were not drilled out. So the little lip would catch water off the tire. Rust out. Every Dodge from the late 90s thru till the Ram4 came out in 08 or 09. Has same rust issues on eear quarters. The ones to watch out for are the guys who cover that spot up with wheel well flares.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

in general, Dodge had a defect for several years :smt045 .....but they all do to some extent
Panels are reasonable price to buy out of Surrey
Country plough boy
Übergod

Rockauto.com has awesome parts prices as well
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Rockauto ? They fly that other flag, would rather deal up here
We the North
Country plough boy
Übergod

Nothing stopping u from paying extra for same parts . I find Rockauto is like quarter price or less quite often.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Yet another chainsaw back to it's original glory.

People that call down a machine as a piece of crap when all that it
required was some ongoing maintenance.

Tell tale. covered in light powder. Signs of a dull chain, sanding in the stead of cutting,

Sharp chain throws chips, dull chain blows powder.

That powder plugs up everything.

Clean the cooling fins on the cylinder and fan fins of the flywheel,
to prevent overheat.
Clean the air filter, and replace fuel filter.
Clean the carbs jets and spark arrestor screen in the exhaust.
So it can breathe in and out.

Sharpen the chain, fresh pre mix fuel and, as good or better than the day it
was first used.

Total investment, saw and parts, $34.00.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^ :up: :up:

Make sure the muffler is tight to the head. if not, cool air gets sucked in and a couple of tanks of fuel later you have a toasted engine.

Most chainsaws need a little love every now and then. I have one close to 50 years old( Husky 66) and another Stihl 090 40 years old and run like a champ. Bunch of others ( husky and Stihl) various vintages, all run pretty good. If you know you are not going to run them for a while, run them dry.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

dirtybiker wrote:Yet another chainsaw back to it's original glory.

Nicely done! I should get you to look at my circa 70's Mercury 45 (4.5HP) outboard motor! Needs carb work me thinks. :130:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

TylerM4 wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:Yet another chainsaw back to it's original glory.

Nicely done! I should get you to look at my circa 70's Mercury 45 (4.5HP) outboard motor! Needs carb work me thinks. :130:

Glen @ Winfield Marine Wreckers is the dood to do that.
250 766-5013

Those are nice little engines. Likely just needs a simple carb cleaning to
get the old gunk (varnish) out of the (carb) jets.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

'76 Chevy 1 ton gives me less trouble than my loaded 2015 GMC half ton. Go figure eh. Progress.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Anyone else have a 2015ish GMC with the 5.3 and the 8 speed auto. trans is garbage . Constantly shifts up and down. 3 speed manual in the 76 is better. Thats really not saying much.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Coonhound wrote:Anyone else have a 2015ish GMC with the 5.3 and the 8 speed auto. trans is garbage . Constantly shifts up and down. 3 speed manual in the 76 is better. Thats really not saying much.

Thats because thats what its supposed to do so the the engine stays in its torque curve uses less fuel and provides better driveability and throtle response
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Boosted632 wrote:
Coonhound wrote:Anyone else have a 2015ish GMC with the 5.3 and the 8 speed auto. trans is garbage . Constantly shifts up and down. 3 speed manual in the 76 is better. Thats really not saying much.

Thats because thats what its supposed to do so the the engine stays in its torque curve uses less fuel and provides better driveability and throtle response

Feels like going over rumble strips. It is not a good thing. Surely it is wrecking the trans. All that useless shifting.

My 2 Ram trucks both had 8 speed transmission. Neither one had a rumble like the GMC
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

All gear heads here???
This spring built a 2 axis panel saw, now I can cut plywood like the big boys do.
Mid summer build a box joint fixture for the table router to do drawer joins for the kitchen cabinets we are abuilding.
Just finishing a three axis mortising machine, used it to cut finger joints on the end of a pair of 2x6's as practice for a set of shelves. Z axis is limited to 5" so gotta figure out how to invert the work to get the 9" inch shelves finger jointed. maybe put a power feed on the z axis so I can put the shelves on the flat, Y axis has around 16" travel so could do monster finger joints.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”