Power to Cosens Bay

Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Power to Cosens Bay

Post by Brushy Bill »

Remember when the lots on east Kal Lake were deemed to be for part time summer use only?
when the few rustic cabins were boat access only?
Remember when the trail through Kal Park was opened to lot owners for summer time use, before the upgrades that encroached on Park lands?
Remember when a prominent property owner joined Council?
And now the full time residents want power via a cable across the lake, paid for by?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/27 ... malka-Lake
Last edited by Catsumi on Mar 14th, 2020, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
kiabird
Fledgling

Re: Power to Cosens Bay

Post by kiabird »

And now the full time residents want power via a cable across the lake, paid for by?

That Q occurred to me too.

Also, I believe extreme caution is in order to not disturb the lake bottom, but I have no idea how submarine cables are positioned. Kal Lake is a drinking water source and has "some problems", mercury being one. This 2007 report details some issues: https://www.obwb.ca/newsite/wp-content/uploads/2007_okanagan_fish_contaminant_report.pdf
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

once we pay for them to have power they can bulldoze the cabin and build their mansion on the lake surrounded by park heck of a deal for them, the property owners should be footing the bill for this.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

And yet there are power lines that run just East of said properties.

I'm no lineman so I struggle to understand why power would need to come from across the lake.

Many of those "cabins' are pretty high end from my version of cabin.

More like executive homes.

They want power ? They can pay their own way !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

That's the first thing I thought, the transmission lines on that side to the south. But maybe it's something to do with tying directly into a provincial transmission route or something like that. Wealthy folks run the governments and they run the world, now more than ever cash is king.removed So those residents will get their power, and in the end you and I will pay for it.
Last edited by Catsumi on Mar 15th, 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic, wrong thread
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

dirtybiker wrote:And yet there are power lines that run just East of said properties.

I'm no lineman so I struggle to understand why power would need to come from across the lake.

Many of those "cabins' are pretty high end from my version of cabin.

More like executive homes.

They want power ? They can pay their own way !

actually they have a right to power as you do ;;; The cable across the lake is most viable because
of the park land between them and existing power as BC hydro is not allowed to install power poles
on government park areas the way I read things laying a cable is the most viable way possible
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

no ones denying them power they should be paying for it themselves tho I had to pay to bring power into my place no one was offering to do it for free I had every right to power just like you do and got to pay for it myself why is this any different
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Boosted632 wrote:no ones denying them power they should be paying for it themselves tho I had to pay to bring power into my place no one was offering to do it for free I had every right to power just like you do and got to pay for it myself why is this any different

How do we know they won’t be responsible for the costs?
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

you're right at this point we don't hopefully its on their nickel not everyone elses
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

This power line across the lake is just another example of private developers having city hall, the regional district, the province, or all utility users pay for upgrades to their property so that they can cash in massively. All municipal politics in the Okanagan are about zoning or services to certain pieces of land. Get the right people elected and get your land serviced. It smells so badly. Election after election the faces change but the outcomes stay the same. This is just another incident of having the public pay for huge profits for developers. If this line is built, just watch some major subdivisions spread along the lake with million dollar houses.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I wouldn't think that City Hall determined where Fortis was to provide power?

I thought that would be up to Fortis and those who want the power would pay for it and not the City.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

bob vernon nailed it. That was more to my point, not about 'if' or 'who pays' more about how
it came to be what it is. Those were primitive recreation properties at one time so we put our money elsewhere, now the rules have changed. Guess I should have run for a seat
We could also talk about the impact of sewage on the lake and the footprint affecting Kal Park..........
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Brushy Bill wrote:bob vernon nailed it. That was more to my point, not about 'if' or 'who pays' more about how
it came to be what it is. Those were primitive recreation properties at one time so we put our money elsewhere, now the rules have changed. Guess I should have run for a seat
We could also talk about the impact of sewage on the lake and the footprint affecting Kal Park..........

Where have you been? Rules change all the time. Right or wrong, if the bill is paid for by the residents who live there, why would/should anyone care?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:This power line across the lake is just another example of private developers having city hall, the regional district, the province, or all utility users pay for upgrades to their property so that they can cash in massively. All municipal politics in the Okanagan are about zoning or services to certain pieces of land. Get the right people elected and get your land serviced. It smells so badly. Election after election the faces change but the outcomes stay the same. This is just another incident of having the public pay for huge profits for developers. If this line is built, just watch some major subdivisions spread along the lake with million dollar houses.

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

We cannot ban folks from living there seasonally...

These cabin owners wish to reduce their environmental impacts on Kal Lake by running electricity at their own cost.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."

Return to “North Okanagan”