Another dust Advisory in Vernon

tabubil
Fledgling

Another dust Advisory in Vernon

Post by tabubil »

I am getting tired of this council and the managers in not cleaning up our city. We have been getting advisories for so long now.
In my mind with the downturn in the amount of traffic on the roads the operations department should have every street cleaner out and operating 24 hours a day.
The priority should be every available machine should be on the road 24 hours a day with a qualified operator, I do not care if they have to work nights lets get this city cleaned up.
If you drive down 27 and 32 streets you can still see piles of gravel next to the curbs and vehicles stirring it up when they drive on it.
We have an emergency affecting peoples health now and if they have a breathing problem the fact that our council will not get our streets cleared and make the air safe to breath is a reason to kick the whole bunch out and also clean out some of the over paid managers that obviously and not the job they are hired to do.
MAKE OUR AIR CLEAN AND SAFE MAYOR AND COUNCIL

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/27 ... for-Vernon
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Re: Another dust Advisory in Vernon

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Street sweepers have been out for weeks now

removed

:130:
Last edited by Catsumi on Mar 19th, 2020, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Mar 19th, 2020, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

tabubil wrote:I am getting tired of this council and the managers in not cleaning up our city. We have been getting advisories for so long now.
In my mind with the downturn in the amount of traffic on the roads the operations department should have every street cleaner out and operating 24 hours a day.
The priority should be every available machine should be on the road 24 hours a day with a qualified operator, I do not care if they have to work nights lets get this city cleaned up.
If you drive down 27 and 32 streets you can still see piles of gravel next to the curbs and vehicles stirring it up when they drive on it.
We have an emergency affecting peoples health now and if they have a breathing problem the fact that our council will not get our streets cleared and make the air safe to breath is a reason to kick the whole bunch out and also clean out some of the over paid managers that obviously and not the job they are hired to do.
MAKE OUR AIR CLEAN AND SAFE MAYOR AND COUNCIL

Cleaning at night won't work right now. Sweeping requires that they spray water from the sweepers to keep the dust down. If they swept without water, they'd only be raising more dust and making the matter worse. There is only a window of so many hours during the day that the temperature is above zero. And they can't start too early in late winter.

The city is looking at purchasing a newer technology for sweeping. It's a vacuum style of machine that just sucks and filters. Expensive, but it will do the job that you want without dust and without water. They might have to raise your taxes to pay for it.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

Cleaning at night won't work right now. Sweeping requires that they spray water from the sweepers to keep the dust down. If they swept without water, they'd only be raising more dust and making the matter worse. There is only a window of so many hours during the day that the temperature is above zero. And they can't start too early in late winter.

The city is looking at purchasing a newer technology for sweeping. It's a vacuum style of machine that just sucks and filters. Expensive, but it will do the job that you want without dust and without water. They might have to raise your taxes to pay for it.[/quote]
Okay they might not be able to clean all night but they can go until midnight, the temperature is warm enough from 9:00 on and why can they not get the wash truck out and go for 4-6 hours in the day just washing the streets down. They can do like other cities in the prairies do and and remove the snow from the side of the road during the winter this holds most of thee gravel.
The big fancy new machine from what I have learnt was supposed to be already here.
We have a problem that council and operations do not want to address, send our operations manager to spend a winter in a major town in the prairies to learn how to budget and conduct snow removal I grew up up in Saskatoon and we had very little dust problem and our major roads were always cleared of snow to the sidewalk usually within a week. The prairies and Ontario know how to get rid of snow and lots of it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Ironically, I grew up in Saskatoon, too.

So what's the difference between Saskatoon and Vernon? The valley. Saskatoon gets a continuous flow of fresh air every day. In Vernon, in the spring especially, we sit under an inversion and the dust rarely vents out. When we had some windy days about a week ago, the dust was blown out and replaced by nice clean Arctic air. After the wind fell to light, the inversion returned and the dust increased. The inversion will be gone in April, usually, when you see the cumulus type of clouds regularly.

I haven't seen the new street cleaner yet and I read in the paper a couple of issues back that they were in the process of buying a vacuum type that can operate over more hours in the spring.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

I do not know when you lived there but i was born and left in 1973 and we had many days of no wind in the spring and summer and in the summer you could not sleep at night unless outside as is was way too hot and back then very few had air conditioning and all you wanted was a wind to blow in from Calgary and cool the area off and the only time I saw dust problems was when the farmers were harvesting and then you could hardly see.
The street sweeper if I am right was in the last budget and the order was placed for delivery before spring.
But all this aside the city can do a lot more to help reduce the amount small particulates in the air and they are not.
Glad to hear from a former person from Saskatoon a great city back then.

Return to “North Okanagan”