featfan
Guru

Vernon-was-once-the-epicentre-of-dried-canned-goods

Post by featfan »

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Vernon-was-once-the-epicentre-of-dried-canned-goods

Post by Catsumi »

What an interesting story, thanks for posting it.

When I see literally tons of apples lying on the ground in orchards that through some edict or another decreeing they cannot be picked up as windfalls, I think, what a terrible waste.

I realize there are reasons for this but we seemed to survive well enough before using windfalls long before gov't got involved.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
klnklnk

Post by klnklnk »

i have some cans! i got them out of storage but my tablet won't let me add a photo.

this might be the time to try some.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Catsumi wrote:What an interesting story, thanks for posting it.

When I see literally tons of apples lying on the ground in orchards that through some edict or another decreeing they cannot be picked up as windfalls, I think, what a terrible waste.

I realize there are reasons for this but we seemed to survive well enough before using windfalls long before gov't got involved.

the reality is theres so many apples grown in Vernon there is no market for bruised apples seems odd that
they could not be sold for pig feed etc or used to make pie fillings etc but I believe the labour costs to gather and store out weighs the amount they can be sold for
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

or used to make pie fillings etc

Windfalls aren't allowed to be used due to E.coli risk.
Deer/bird poop contaminated, so not allowed for juice either unless pasteurization and government inspection has certified the facility.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Now that we have learned to wash our hands, maybe the same skill could be used to clean apples?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

kiabird wrote:
or used to make pie fillings etc

Windfalls aren't allowed to be used due to E.coli risk.
Deer/bird poop contaminated, so not allowed for juice either unless pasteurization and government inspection has certified the facility.

I find that extremely hard to believe The apples if used for pie filling would see a decontamination wash and then cooked at high heat. where did you see that was why there not used ?
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

where did you see that was why there not used

20+ years ago my family had a commercial apple plant that included juicing.
Federally inspected.
We eventually stopped farming but before we did, inspector told us 2 things: windfalls can never be used for juice (we never did...), and "from (date) on, pasteurization must be done for commercial processing".

Call CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) to check for current rules.

Your own stuff, for your own family, no rules.
But I wouldn't use windfalls for juice. Period.
Pies? Sure, everyone did, except me.

Return to “North Okanagan”