Getting outside and exercising is what ENDS flu season!

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
OkanaganForever

Getting outside and exercising is what ENDS flu season!

Post by OkanaganForever »

Does flu season not start when everyone starts getting lazy, eating worse, and hunkering down indoors for the fall/winter?

Does flu season not end when it starts warm up and people finally blow the cobwebs outta there butts?

Social distancing is awesome BUT.....

If everyone wants to stay run down and not boost your immune system to beat this thing I suggest you do what my neighbors do:

Sit all day and eat in there easy-chairs, laid off work, staring out the window at me in disgust, watching me cleaning up my yard, washing my car, and heading out and about going fishing and hiking.

Governments want to now start closing massive public spaces and parks that people can enjoy at 100's of feet apart.

I think they should be pushing healthy eating and exercising in fresh air with social distancing in mind.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Getting outside and exercising is what ENDS flu season!

Post by OKkayak »

While I agree, getting outside is incredibly important, but the problem is too many people were gathering in large groups in the parks, hence them being closed.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

OkanaganForever wrote:Does flu season not start when everyone starts getting lazy, eating worse, and hunkering down indoors for the fall/winter?

Not for Eskimos.
Not afraid to say "It".
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

OKkayak wrote:While I agree, getting outside is incredibly important, but the problem is too many people were gathering in large groups in the parks, hence them being closed.

Question is have the powers that be just moved the problem somewhere else? If all parks and green spaces were closed and we were all told to only go out locally to where we live the sidewalks would be awash with pedestrians, cyclists, joggers and just how much room is there on the average sidewalk? Abbot st corridor is popular for example, now its going to get much busier.

I get what they are trying to achieve but just wonder if its a knee jerk reaction that may not completely solve the issue. Like some have said better to be outside than everyone flocking to Walmart or similar. My subdivision has a sidewalk on one side of road only so if all the local people stay home and only walk round the neighbourhood its going to be worse than Knox.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

OkanaganForever wrote:Does flu season not start when everyone starts getting lazy, eating worse, and hunkering down indoors for the fall/winter?

Does flu season not end when it starts warm up and people finally blow the cobwebs outta there butts?

Social distancing is awesome BUT.....

If everyone wants to stay run down and not boost your immune system to beat this thing I suggest you do what my neighbors do:

Sit all day and eat in there easy-chairs, laid off work, staring out the window at me in disgust, watching me cleaning up my yard, washing my car, and heading out and about going fishing and hiking.

Governments want to now start closing massive public spaces and parks that people can enjoy at 100's of feet apart.

I think they should be pushing healthy eating and exercising in fresh air with social distancing in mind.

Have you noticed that these measures have nothing to do with the flu?
You and 71 others Like this post
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Yes, the people here referring to the "flu" are not addressing our current situation. That's one of D.J. Trump's lines, and it lacks veracity and intelligence.

That said, the whole world would be free if there wasn't that tiny niggling problem that coronavirus is debilitating for many and deadly for some, and that it is socially and apparently easily transmitted between proximate people. If people kept it to themselves, we wouldn't be semi-locked down. I don't want to get it. And if I had it, I don't want to give it. Covid-19, the gift that keeps on giving.

I've got into trouble - lol - from some posters on another thread around here about my daily walks/hikes a long distance away from my abode. Yesterday the bicycle, skateboard and roller skate traffic on the rail trail around Reid's Corner was like a normal day on the Los Angeles freeways. Not everyone practices social distancing I'm afraid.

Find a way to keep it to ourselves, and we'll all be immediately freed. Meanwhile, the best they have is, stay 2m apart.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Haven't heard too much about the flu season since COVID-19 became the focus. One might think the flu risk would be lower since the social distancing started. I'm not sure why you'd think people get lazy for fall/winter if they are normally active. Lots of outdoor activities were available and there's always the home gym.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
spooker

Post by spooker »

dodgerdodge wrote:Question is have the powers that be just moved the problem somewhere else? If all parks and green spaces were closed and we were all told to only go out locally to where we live the sidewalks would be awash with pedestrians, cyclists, joggers and just how much room is there on the average sidewalk? Abbot st corridor is popular for example, now its going to get much busier.

Cities that have thought about this more have been closing streets to increase the space available to pedestrians and cyclists. They've been doing this for weeks. Would love to see us doing it here, Water and Abbott are the first streets that I would suggest. A friend of mine is drafting a letter to hopefully spur some movement ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/coronavirus-street-closures.html

Regarding the reason we have a "flu season", this article covers some recent investigations into it which concludes mainly that "the influenza virus survives longer in cold, dry air, so it has a greater chance of infecting another person"

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2014/the-reason-for-the-season-why-flu-strikes-in-winter/

It's not just because we are lazy slobs in the winter ...

Return to “Health”