What Are Christians Doing During COVID-19

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
coffeeFreak
Guru

What Are Christians Doing During COVID-19

Post by coffeeFreak »

I know this topic can be a divisive one in this forum and will likely stir a lot of comments from the atheists and anti religious folk here, but I am hoping that the conversation will be from people who actually can give some thought to this topic.

I've been feeling like there is a great public silence from faith groups in our community other than the Salvation Army asking for what they always ask for. Many of my Christian "friends" on FB post a lot on end times and the "impending" one world order. The latest email I received was from a very evangelical "friend" and was about the mark of the beast supposedly created by Bill Gates which will be added to the the COVID vaccination via an RFID chip :200: These types of posts do nothing to further the Kingdom of God according the the Christian mandate and in many ways breeds fear among believers and brings contempt or disdain and rejection from the nonbelievers.

So as a sort of, kind of lost sheep of the Christian faith, their silence and/or fear based messages confuse me because I would expect the message to be more about love, checking in on folks and offers of help.

I've added a couple of links to articles about how some are dealing with the outbreak, but not necessarily on topic with my post. Most comments are churches looking inward rather than looking outward to the sick, lost and hurting.

One of the pastors in the 2nd link spoke out loud what I have also been wondering: “It’s a bad situation,” Delgado said. “We live by the donations. If people don’t come, we’re just like anybody. If you don’t go to work, you don’t get paid. If they don’t come here, they may not donate.”

Faith in isolation: How Canadians are praying during the coronavirus pandemic

https://globalnews.ca/news/6734848/coronavirus-religion/

White House turns to faith groups and churches for coronavirus help

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/coronavirus/article241279411.html
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What Are Christians Doing During COVID-19

Post by zookeeper »

I don't see where you are finding silence, the first article states that services are being held online, people who have never walked into a church are attending. The elderly, who cannot navigate electronics, are getting calls. Others, who would normally congregate are acknowledging the safety of others and praying inside their homes.

Ministers (many of them are raising families too) and churches have bills too, how is worrying about donations any different than worrying about where your next paycheck will come from?

That "friends" are making you question the good in so many others is disheartening.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

True christians will stay home! If you love your neighbour as its commanded them, than you will do this so you will not accidentally infect them and their family's wIth COVD-19. The crazy born again types who say how "they" are covered in the blood of Jesus are forgetting that commandment. Its all about them and nobody else. Disgusting. Are you a born again and feel its ok to still meet in prayer groups and church because you are covered and protected? Does this mean you CANNOT infect others? I would like to hear your comments.. True born again ones would stay home btw.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Lots of Christians think it is still ok to pack worshipers in churches because they think Jesus magic will protect them, this is just one example https://globalnews.ca/news/6751899/past ... h-florida/
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

capleton wrote:Lots of Christians think it is still ok to pack worshipers in churches because they think Jesus magic will protect them, this is just one example https://globalnews.ca/news/6751899/past ... h-florida/

Read what I wrote about the COMMAND to love your neighbour.The ones that do as the story are doing are not following Jesus command and therefore not real Christians. Real Christians are staying home..
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

Why doesn't this make them question their faith. If they are true believers, they must believe that God created the virus.....so you pray that the same being that created this also is the one to end it
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 10th, 2020, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Apr 10th, 2020, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

My next door neighbours are devout, and they are "attending" virtual services from home, through the web.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Hmmm wrote:
capleton wrote:Lots of Christians think it is still ok to pack worshipers in churches because they think Jesus magic will protect them, this is just one example https://globalnews.ca/news/6751899/past ... h-florida/

Read what I wrote about the COMMAND to love your neighbour.The ones that do as the story are doing are not following Jesus command and therefore not real Christians. Real Christians are staying home..

I would think that this would be a good time for pious Christians to heal the sick in Jesus name. I guess Jesus magic does not work though.

https://www.nowtheendbegins.com/charism ... infection/
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

Let's not paint all Christians with the same brush just because there are some outliers.

There are Christians who are essential workers: doctors, nurses, seniors care, trades, grocery/retail workers, and so on. These Christians are doing their job as they always have but dealing with the extra stress that everyone else is.

Many churches have moved to online services, so people can attend services virtually instead of in person during this pandemic. Just as we are encouraged to stay connected with our friends and family virtually, these church families are staying connected virtually. I know my church is actively interested in helping those who need help. They are regularly phoning members and connecting people with needs, like getting groceries, with those who can help in some way. This help would not be limited to church members. Many Christians are doing their part by staying home.

Many Christians are also donating to food banks and other charities, sewing masks for others, supporting the front line workers, reaching out to others in safe ways...basically doing much the same as any other "good" person would.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

SuperMom wrote:Let's not paint all Christians with the same brush just because there are some outliers.

There are Christians who are essential workers: doctors, nurses, seniors care, trades, grocery/retail workers, and so on. These Christians are doing their job as they always have but dealing with the extra stress that everyone else is.

Many churches have moved to online services, so people can attend services virtually instead of in person during this pandemic. Just as we are encouraged to stay connected with our friends and family virtually, these church families are staying connected virtually. I know my church is actively interested in helping those who need help. They are regularly phoning members and connecting people with needs, like getting groceries, with those who can help in some way. This help would not be limited to church members. Many Christians are doing their part by staying home.

Many Christians are also donating to food banks and other charities, sewing masks for others, supporting the front line workers, reaching out to others in safe ways...basically doing much the same as any other "good" person would.

That has brought up an interesting thought, for me anyways.

If these "places of worship" (no difference between Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc) are able to give their services via the internet in this time of need for personal safety, why can't they do this all the time?

Please keep in mind that, my only experiences are with the Catholic church, forgive me for having no understanding of other faiths, I don't mean to insult your faith.

I am thinking about, how every church can give their services (after this pandemic is over) via internet, why is there a need to congregate under one roof every Sunday morning?
Just consider how each church could reach so many others and increase their congregation and at the same time reduce the huge building and property that it sits on. Is that big building all that necessary?

For those that use the internet, they could devote the same amount of time, sitting together as a family and watch from home. The chairs are much more comfortable at home than the pews at church, I don't know what they call those boards where you kneel to pray from are called, but I am sure a pillow would be better.

~If you want to sing, you don't have to fear that you are off key.
~Confessionals can still be heard anonymously, by appointment with the priest.
~Parishioners wouldn't have to dress in their Sunday best, drive, and find parking.
~Those that are physically handicapped can participate without pain.
~Holy water can be delivered in small amounts to your door, in exchange for a tax deductible donation to the church, the same for small amounts of sacramental wine and Eucharist..
~For a donation, you could have someone light a candle for you at the church.
~If you are late to service, you won't have 500 eyes looking at you as you try and find a place to sit.
~You could always rewind, to any parts that you missed, or play it at a later time.

I can see that the building, with all of it's stained glass is nice, but what does it really add to the words being spoken?
The church could be much smaller and only used for weddings, communions, and funerals where lots of people what to be together. I can see that weddings and communions could be relocated to a hotel ball room, funerals......maybe not.

Perhaps, this virus could change the way we think about "places of worship" for the future.
Bring back the LIKE button.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

alanjh595 wrote:That has brought up an interesting thought, for me anyways.

If these "places of worship" (no difference between Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc) are able to give their services via the internet in this time of need for personal safety, why can't they do this all the time?

Please keep in mind that, my only experiences are with the Catholic church, forgive me for having no understanding of other faiths, I don't mean to insult your faith.

We could easily flip that question around though. People have been making home gyms and finding ways to exercise while gyms are closed, why can't they do this all the time? The library has been closed, but people can still find ways to access books to read...why do we need a library building? What else could we make do without? I don't know, but I think the personal value found in gathering in a place will differ from person to person and the nature of the building. Church families can worship online, but there is value in gathering in person. I can exercise at home, but there are unique values in going to my gym and interacting with others there. Libraries provide more than just books to read; people gather there for various purposes and find value in doing so.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”