Boating closure by Coldstream

dv7834

Boating closure by Coldstream

Post by dv7834 »

So am I correct in assuming that it is now forbidden to go for a paddle in one's kayak?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/29 ... to-boating
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Boating closure by Coldstream

Post by Merry »

The boat ramp is closed, but if you can get your kayak in the lake without using the ramp, there is no law against kayakking
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dv7834 wrote:So am I correct in assuming that it is now forbidden to go for a paddle in one's kayak?

I'm assuming you are referring to this:

North Okanagan residents hoping to go for a boat ride on Kalamalka Lake will not be launching from Coldstream.

Late last month, the municipality closed all public spaces in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Those closures included boat launches. While most the launches have gates that Coldstream officials have locked, there is no gate at the Kinloch Road boat launch.

So, officials installed a large cement barrier flanked by two wooden barricades.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/29 ... e-at-boat-

I plan on using my kayak as soon as convenient.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dv7834

Post by dv7834 »

Merry wrote:The boat ramp is closed, but if you can get your kayak in the lake without using the ramp, there is no law against kayakking

Where would that be? I ask genuinely. I'm not fortunate to live on waterfront, the beaches are closed, the ramps are closed. Where can I lawfully put in?
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

How exactly is that going to stop covid ?? I am assuming lakefront people helped with this decision to keep peasants off the lake or what .
Strong and free
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Late last month, the municipality closed all public spaces in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.

not sure how closing boat ramp really has anything to do with cv19 ? people get way way closer at stores and other places open
plus Vernon has zero CV cases and we only have 130 active in a entire interior health which has 760000 people
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dontrump wrote: Vernon has zero CV cases

Don't believe that's correct. Considering people are violating the social distancing protocol these steps to close parks was necessary.
Last edited by Fancy on Apr 11th, 2020, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I’m pretty sure it was reported early on in this crisis that Vernon had at least 2 cases related to travel. But we also must remember that there are many cases of people being told to self isolate because their symptoms suggest they have the disease, who are never tested unless they require hospitalization. My next door neighbour falls into this category.

Such people are not part of the official count. Neither are folks who are asymptomatic (have the disease, but no symptoms). Yet all are potential carriers, who could easily infect others if they don’t follow the rules.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's been mentioned before that Vernon has cases with links. Some people believe what they want to believe without knowing the facts. As far as the kayaking is concerned, might need to drive around and see if there is any access that doesn't require a vehicle and boat ramp. Might have to carry the kayak or tow it on wheels for a bit.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There has been an update:

UPDATE 10:04 a.m.

It would appear the cement barricade at a Coldstream boat launch has nothing to do with COVID-19.

A cement barrier has been placed at the Kinloch Road boat launch, but Castanet has been told that is to keep boats from launching while the municipality builds a new dock.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

What does "stay at home" and "Only necessary travel only" mean to people

there is Google translate if you do not understand what people are saying

https://translate.google.ca/#view=home& ... tay%20home
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
dv7834

Post by dv7834 »

Symbonite wrote:What does "stay at home" and "Only necessary travel only" mean to people

there is Google translate if you do not understand what people are saying

https://translate.google.ca/#view=home& ... tay%20home

[icon_lol2.gif] some people just love to pontificate... [icon_lol2.gif]

It's a big word for you, so here you go: Pontificate - express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Symbonite wrote:What does "stay at home" and "Only necessary travel only" mean to people

Since it is okay to go outside, what does it mean to you?

Going for a kayak with no one else around in one's community isn't travelling.

Henry is still encouraging people to get outside, but to do it while respecting physical distancing rules.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5529703
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Think about it. Parks and recreation (outside facilties) are being closed across the country. Extending that thought process to the lakes would see to be a natural progession.

The idea is to keep people indoors as much as is possible, the thought being that by keeping human contact to as bare a minimum as is possible, we reduce the cases by slowing the spread.

You can't look at lineups at grocery stores as an argument "why can't we kick a soccer ball around or shoot some hoops or have a beach fire or, and here's a thought, put our boat in the water"?

It comes down to necessity and none of the above noted recreational activities and many other examples, are necessary.

For the record; I hate all of this as much as anyone else. I and my family are willing to try to do our part and if in the end, we all look back and say "man, what an overreaction" and in the same breath we realize that we managed to minimize the death count, I won't look back and lament that we couldn't go boating or camping or have a bunch of people over for a BBQ. I will be glad that we, and when I say we we, I mean me (LOL) survived an event that was unprecedented in our history.

My advice, stop asking why can't we and start working on doing your part. The more we get on this now, the quicker we get out of it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Fancy wrote:
dontrump wrote: Vernon has zero CV cases

Don't believe that's correct. Considering people are violating the social distancing protocol these steps to close parks was necessary.

I believe its correct ( no known CV cases in Vernon area) If u have proof its not please post and I was not really referencing parks just question closing boat launches

Return to “North Okanagan”