Canada Shooting

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Canada Shooting

Post by Fancy »

t76turbo wrote:To not have police response for hours just goes to show that part of humans basic right should be the right to armed self defence.
Police response to initial call I thought was fairly quick. Basic right to armed self defence? Wouldn't have made a difference. How many people take a walk packing a pistol? No need in a small community where everyone knows everyone.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

In mass shootings, what the "norm" is that the "shooter" has done the shooting in a specific location. In this case it was spread out over a HUGE area over 10 hours or more. Confusion for the RCMP was a certainty here and at what point was the seriousness of the situation discovered?

The RCMP will conduct there investigation and finalize an analysis which will no doubt be included in future training. I have never heard of a sitiation such as this which also INCLUDED a person imitating a police officer with uniforn and police car?

You have to wonder what was going through their minds (RCMP) when they got an early grasp on the situation they were dealing with?
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Fancy wrote:Police response to initial call I thought was fairly quick. Basic right to armed self defence? Wouldn't have made a difference. How many people take a walk packing a pistol? No need in a small community where everyone knows everyone.

I’ll agree that police response takes time especially over a large area like that in a setting where there probably isn’t all that many RCMP staff available given the time and location, now throw in mass confusion. Could you imagine the two way radio traffic trying to figure out what is going on?

Could you imagine there would have been multiple shooters, all dressed up as members of the RCMP?
I have no doubt that some copy cat idiots are looking at this situation and have learned something here. Scary thought for the public and police forces everywhere .

Every time I go for a hike I do take a rifle with me especially if my children are with me. Be a lot easier carrying a pistol and also wouldn’t look too scary perhaps to some other people you come across.
Last edited by t76turbo on Apr 22nd, 2020, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Fancy wrote:
Pete Podoski wrote:All it takes to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

And that's exactly what happened. Just wish it happened sooner.

Justin Trudeau is disarming law abiding citizens as we speak. Far greater chance that insane murderers will inflict way more harm when there's less chance that a civilian firearms owner can stop him/her in their tracks. Trudeau doesn't care, because he will always have armed guards 24/7 while you get slaughtered by a lunatic.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

He really planned this if he had a change of clothes ready. And no one else knew about the fake RCMP car? :135:

Holy Helljesuzz, the guy in the black truck, right behind him, I wonder if how he is doing now that he realizes he was right behind Canada's worst mass murderer in recent history. :200:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6855907/nova ... new-video/
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Queen K wrote:He really planned this if he had a change of clothes ready. And no one else knew about the fake RCMP car?

People knew he had the RCMP car as far as I know - that wasn't a secret.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

How can it even be legal to replicate a police car? I think it wasn't a secret to his friends but was to the RCMP?

ETA: what I'm saying is that it is one thing to know your denturist has an RCMP look-a-like car, as a customer or friend, but it is another thing for the RCMP to know about the gunman's car.

Did no one ask any questions? Or indicate that this is abnormal?

Yes, buy old cars at the auction. Good.
Duplicate an real RCMP vehicle? Bad.
Last edited by Queen K on Apr 22nd, 2020, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Queen K wrote:How can it even be legal to replicate a police car? I think it wasn't a secret to his friends but was to the RCMP.
It's legal to buy one and that's not a secret.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I am thinking that to buy one might be okay as long as you are not impersonating a police officer with it, which is a crime in Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6851700/nova ... olice-car/

“He did talk about buying used vehicles from the auction in Nova Scotia,” Jones said in a Facebook message.

Billy Swiminer said Wortman made his dentures in January and that he described buying police cars at an auction.

“He showed me pics of a cruiser that he redid,” Swiminer wrote. “It’s exactly like an actual RCMP police car, and he has the uniform to go with it!”<snip>

I am not asking if he did it, I am wondering if it was legal to have an old RCMP car as a replica of the real thing.

As it turns out:

Impersonating a police officer as a crime includes fake police vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_impersonation
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Fancy wrote: How many people take a walk packing a pistol? No need in a small community where everyone knows everyone.

a friend of mine packs now after getting the scare of his life when he was out walking south of Calgary with his dog, and they were set upon by a pack of coyotes, with almost no warning. The only reason he is alive right now is that his dog fought them off and gave him time to get back to his house and get his guns. The dog lived thankfully but the vet had to extract several coyote teeth from the dog's head. He now packs a gun and a knife while walking after that experience.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Having an RCMP uniform, is not a crime, using it to impersonate a police officer is.

Replicating an RCMP vehicle is not illegal, but operating a vehicle with certain features, such as flashing lights etc, is illegal. This vehicle was not plated, so up until the vehicle was being used, not much could be done. There may be some trademark rights for the logos and design of the car but that's between the RCMP and the replicator. (at one time, I think Disney paid the RCMP to use some RCMP images)

I'm still anxiously awaiting the RCMP to tell the exact story of what happened along with a detailed TRUTHFUL time line. I guess making this display of gross ineptness sound like proven police procedures is taking longer to spin than expected.

Nobody has mentioned it, but what I'm really waiting for is how they are going to spin the reason some RCMP members were shooting at a fire hall containing evacuated people. I'll want popcorn for that one.

Barney Fife from "Andy of Mayberry" keeps coming to mind.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

my5cents wrote: I'm still anxiously awaiting the RCMP to tell the exact story of what happened along with a detailed TRUTHFUL time line. I guess making this display of gross ineptness sound like proven police procedures is taking longer to spin than expected.

This was truly a horrific event, and I think it is pretty clear there were some major bureaucratic failings that will need to be reviewed and addressed. The best thing for the RCMP (IMO) would be to just come clean and acknowledge their failings while assuring us they have learned from them and will respond differently in the future.

As far as gun control goes, I don’t really see what, if anything, the government could introduce that would have had any bearing on the outcome of this unfortunate event. I am all for background checks when someone goes to buy a firearm, but this guy had no criminal record and as far as I know we still have no idea what his motive could have been.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

One could get just about anything on black market or seek out local gangs and bring cash.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/29 ... or-weapons
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/n ... d=msedgdhp

Attacks girlfriend at a party, then brings her home and ties her up, she runs away, so guy goes back to party and murders everyone. Then decides to just keep killing.

So now we know that the girlfriend provided the picture of the fake cruiser, and was the one who told the cops that he was driving around impersonating a cop.

Looks like it was an ERT RCMP who finally blew this guy away at the gas station while he was reaching for his gun. Probably didn't feel like asking the guy to freeze or to put his hands up, just pumped him full of lead. And I don't blame him.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We just said the same thing, "good." Also, said police officer pumping that guy full of lead also likely knew a co-worker had been murdered.

So the gf knew he had a car tricked out to be a police cruiser but never thought he'd "use it" in an evil way.

Return to “Canada”