Gun Control

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Order in council gun ban

Post by Merry »

Pete Podoski wrote:Justin: hey, here's an idea, let's confiscate private property from our law abiding citizens while we let criminals out of prison so they don't get sick.

The stupidity and utter ineffectiveness of Trudeau's confiscation act, which he is putting through without debate in the House of Commons, is off the chart.

Democracy in Canada is non-existent when a single person can rise up, confiscate your property, and do so without any Parliamentary oversight.

It's a sad day for Canadians. Those who fought the Nazi tyranny off must be rolling over in their graves as Justin Trudeau follows in Hitler's footsteps.

I must admit that I was surprised to learn they could make this change with just an "Order in Council" as opposed to legislation in Parliament. Can anyone explain why that is?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Merry wrote:I must admit that I was surprised to learn they could make this change with just an "Order in Council" as opposed to legislation in Parliament. Can anyone explain why that is?

Because Justin Trudeau has removed democracy in Canada.

His attempted power grab a couple of weeks ago should have sent him to the hangman's noose.

Now he's thumbing his nose at you and saying "Just watch me."
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Pete Podoski wrote:Any firearm over 10,000 joules.

That includes any of the larger magnum hunting rifles, Weatherbys, Sakos, Brownings, Winchesters - any brand.

I don't know much about guns (not a gun owner, although my spouse is ), but if the ban includes guns most Canadians use for hunting then I definitely disagree with it.

When I asked my spouse why they might include any firearm over 10,000 joules he said he thinks it might be because such firearms are powerful enough to penetrate a bullet proof vest. And, if that's the criteria, then the ban may well include guns designed for hunting large game such as moose.

As revenue from hunting is the primary source of Conservation funding, this new ban will be a blow to Environmental Conservation in Canada, not to mention the financial harm it will inflict on hunting lodges and just about everything else related to hunting in Canada. All to gain political brownie points, because the criminals and loonies will still own and use guns they obtain illegally.

If the Government wants to ban military style assault rifles, that's one thing. But banning guns legitimately owned by thousands of hunters, and decimating the industry related to hunting in the process, makes no sense. Particularly when all those businesses that profit from hunting are already hurting due to this Covid pandemic.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

good riddance
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Merry wrote:The guns on the to be banned list don't appear to be the kind most hunters would use, so in that sense I don't have a problem with the list. However, I do have a problem with suddenly banning something that used to be legal, and then not compensating the owners.

The Liberals originally said they would have some kind of buy back program, but apparently that idea has now gone by the wayside.

The other problem I have is that unless they find a way to prevent these weapons from being illegally smuggled into Canada, I don't think this ban is going to reduce gun crime by a significant amount. Because most of the gun crimes committed are done with illegal, not legal, weaponry. And as crooks don't abide by laws, any such weapons they already have will NOT be handed in.

So, at the end of the day, this is a "feel good" law that probably won't reduce gun crime by a significant enough amount to justify taking peoples property away, with little to no compensation for their loss.

As you said these are not the type of weapons used for hunting. What uses does that leave? From what I’ve read there will be a two year amnesty period for current owners to deal with the issue themselves. That works for me. It looks to me like the main focus here isn’t run-of-the-mill crime, but mass shootings, so you have to consider how restricting availability of assault weapons might affect that phenomenon. Would someone with a penchant for collecting assault weapons be more likely to actually use them in the event of some sort of mental meltdown? And if said mental meltdown happened without an assault rifle in the closet would the possibility of yet another mass shooting be reduced?

The effect these new laws will have on the overall crime rate remains to be seen, but I think it’s hard to deny that this is a step in the right direction.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

fluffy wrote:
As you said these are not the type of weapons used for hunting. What uses does that leave? From what I’ve read there will be a two year amnesty period for current owners to deal with the issue themselves. That works for me. It looks to me like the main focus here isn’t run-of-the-mill crime, but mass shootings, so you have to consider how restricting availability of assault weapons might affect that phenomenon. Would someone with a penchant for collecting assault weapons be more likely to actually use them in the event of some sort of mental meltdown? And if said mental meltdown happened without an assault rifle in the closet would the possibility of yet another mass shooting be reduced?

The effect these new laws will have on the overall crime rate remains to be seen, but I think it’s hard to deny that this is a step in the right direction.

90% of them are used for hunting.

What use does your shovel have? You can use your hands to dig holes. I want to ban your shovel, because I don't use one so you shouldn't have one.

Define assault weapon for us. You're using the term, so you must know what it is.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
FairlyKnew
Fledgling

Post by FairlyKnew »

Why does this law exclude natives?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

So is .30-06 and .308 still good?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Pete Podoski wrote:90% of them are used for hunting.

Define assault weapon for us. You're using the term, so you must know what it is.

What are you saying, that the fact I don’t own one of these newly prohibited weapons disqualifies me from commenting? I trust that the experts who compiled the list knew what they were doing.

For me the name “assault rifle” implies a design intended for military use.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

fluffy wrote:
For me the name “assault rifle” implies a design intended for military use.

Armalite Rifles including the AR-15 were not designed for military use.

Neither was the 416 Weatherby moose hunting rifle.

.303 Lee Enfield was designed for military use, not on the list.

Try again.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

jimmy4321 wrote:So is .30-06 and .308 still good?

Many are banned in 30-06 and .308. Especially in .308.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm sure there will still be changes .308, great for moose.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm sure there will still be changes .308, great for moose.

The only changes will be to ban more.

Lots of .308 moose guns are banned.

All the larger Weatherby moose guns are banned too.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

tomloudon wrote:This liberal government is right out to lunch thinking these new gun bans will stop gun crime. Lets go one step further, all vehicles will have to have interlock devices installed to stop drunk driving and drug impaired driving.

It can't hurt.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Our Aboriginal citizens are exempt? Bull-bleep. Who needs to worry about illegal importation of these weapons into Canada. Just let people go to the assault rifle store on the Mohawk reserve in Ontario.

Return to “Canada”