Gun Control

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Order in council gun ban

Post by bob vernon »

C'mon all you assault weapon owners. Do what Michiganders (yes, that's what they're called) did yesterday. They showed up in the state capital with automatic weapons and stormed the state legislature. C'mon, let's see a bunch of automatic toting right-wingers show up on Parliament Hill and show Justin who's right and wrong here. Wave some machine guns around and show who's the boss on this issue.

C'mon. Are ya all talk and no action?
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

If guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

bigtimeoperations wrote:If guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns.

Won't the police still be armed?
ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Post by ksnosheeple »

Merry wrote:
Pete Podoski wrote:Any firearm over 10,000 joules.

That includes any of the larger magnum hunting rifles, Weatherbys, Sakos, Brownings, Winchesters - any brand.

I don't know much about guns (not a gun owner, although my spouse is ), but if the ban includes guns most Canadians use for hunting then I definitely disagree with it.

When I asked my spouse why they might include any firearm over 10,000 joules he said he thinks it might be because such firearms are powerful enough to penetrate a bullet proof vest. And, if that's the criteria, then the ban may well include guns designed for hunting large game such as moose.

As revenue from hunting is the primary source of Conservation funding, this new ban will be a blow to Environmental Conservation in Canada, not to mention the financial harm it will inflict on hunting lodges and just about everything else related to hunting in Canada. All to gain political brownie points, because the criminals and loonies will still own and use guns they obtain illegally.

If the Government wants to ban military style assault rifles, that's one thing. But banning guns legitimately owned by thousands of hunters, and decimating the industry related to hunting in the process, makes no sense. Particularly when all those businesses that profit from hunting are already hurting due to this Covid pandemic.

Military style assault rifle is a Liberal term for black scary gun. Fully automatic rifles are already banned, clips larger than 5 bullets are also banned. Blair said these aren't hunting rifles and Lametti said the first nations people will be allowed to use them for hunting. Not a single word on stopping illegal guns & the criminals that use them.
ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Post by ksnosheeple »

90% of the firearms on the list are used for hunting.[/quote]

Hunting what? "Any firearm over 10,000 joules."

Honestly I never really cared how many joules a .30-30 put out but a quick look says 2000joules at 100 yards.

So what's the issue ?[/quote]
10,000J at the muzzle, whata ya think that would be at 100 yards? Apples, oranges. :200:
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 1st, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

See the Springfield M1A1 is now banned. Always wanted a Match grade M1A1. Supposedly pretty accurate for a semi-auto.

Not going to loose any sleep over it though. All my other firearms ( bolt, pump or semi ) are fine.
Gun safe is crowded as is.
Last edited by seewood on May 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Justin Trudeau: "No one needs an AR-15 to take down a deer."

Also Justin Trudeau: "Indigenous people can keep their AR-15s to hunt with."

Huh?

Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^ That is utter nonsense. If in two years time a non aboriginal gets caught hunting with their mini 30 for example, I'll be the first to donate to a lawyer to try prove racism.( reverse racism perhaps)
Before the end of the year, I bet we'll see the next blockade with no shortage of now banned firearms held by the perpetrators.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

seewood wrote:See the Springfield M1A1 is now banned. Always wanted a Match grade M1A1. Supposedly pretty accurate for a semi-auto.

Not going to loose any sleep over it though. All my other firearms ( bolt, pump or semi ) are fine.
Gun safe is crowded as is.

That's what you think:

"There is also a risk that affected firearms owners may elect to replace their firearms with models unaffected by the ban, causing a market displacement. This risk may be mitigated by adding additional makes and models to the list of prohibited firearms in the future."

Your other firearms will be gone with no vote in Parliament very quickly.

Don't be lulled into complacency. If the first bullet fired at you by Justin Trudeau didn't kill you, the next one will.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Question to those that are parliamentary savvy, Can an order in council be overturned easier than passing legislation by a future government?
ksnosheeple
Fledgling

Post by ksnosheeple »

techrtr wrote:
Neither can putting a bandaid on your forehead when you're having a heart attack, but it won't make any difference or stop the heart attack.

Well, we shall see won't we? They're banned, and if we don't see anymore mass murders in Canada, our government will be proven right. Hunters still have a lot of firearms to choose from. Gun enthusiasts who feel the need to own a military rifle are sol. Too bad, so sad. There really only has to be one hunting rifle on the market in the world to satisfy the need of hunters.

What a dumb statement. There really only has to be one cell phone on the market in the world to satisfy the need of users....et all.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

techrtr wrote:
Well, we shall see won't we? They're banned, and if we don't see anymore mass murders in Canada, our government will be proven right.

Yes, too bad this legislation came in a few weeks too late. I imagine Wortman sitting in his fake cop car, in his fake RCMP outfit, ready to start his killing spree, and realizing, "oh right, those guns I want to use are all banned now, so I better not use any of them. Guess I'll go back to the party and play some yahtzee instead". The naivete on display here is mind-blowing. I would bet most that are in support of this legislation also thought that Justin was going to actually follow through on his promise in 2015 of electoral reform.

One thing is for sure, people will believe just about anything. If it fits with their inherent confirmation bias.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Typical bad parenting. If you don't play fair I'll take all your toys away!
Except the special kids, they don't have to play fair.
The worst leader meets the worst lobby group.
What could go wrong.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

oldtrucker wrote:And because it applies to everyone except FN I think we should ignore JT and not take anything to seriously coming from this gov't after this political self serving act. He did it to divide and conquer- putting FN rights above other Canadians- and to get FN votes. Are you divided? Yup

It's half political BS, and half because they know they'll never be able to grab them from reserves anyway.

Return to “Canada”