Hudson's Bay Co. - 350 years old TODAY

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Hudson's Bay Co. - 350 years old TODAY

Post by occasional thoughts »

With apologies to our 1st Nations peoples, North America is pretty young in the grand scheme of human exploration and endeavour. So when a Canadian institution is celebrating its 350th b.d., I think it deserves being noted. Yes, May 2, 1670 saw the birth of the HBC in England but with the purposes of exploring and exploiting what was to become Canada.

Unfortunately, there were no clean links about the anniversary, I heard about it via the frequent thebay.com shopping links that come day after day, which I will spare posters/readers. One that was of interest:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/on-eve- ... -1.4760428

HBC has survived where Eaton's, Woodward's and more recently Sears have not. Will HBC survive another 350 years. I'm going to go out on a limb and say, probably not. But today is an interesting day in our national history.

I remember visiting Tuktoyaktuk as a teenager, about 1964. There was an HBC factor there, his "store" a hole dug in the permafrost being the refrigeration He wasn't selling, he was buying, furs, pelts, etc.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Hudson's Bay Co. - 350 years old TODAY

Post by Jlabute »

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to youuuu,
Happy birthday dear The BaYYyYyyyyyyy,
Happy birthday to you.

350 years is a long time for any business. I would had thought since Sears and others had closed, The Bay might be able to hold on. Unfortunately The Bay is in dire financial health, on the verge of being bought out and ... who knows, transformed?

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/is-the-bay-really-worth-saving-at-this-point
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Aha. I discovered this cute, short little video link at the bottom of the thebay.com email:

https://www.thebay.com/014_hbc-350-video.html
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It's days are numbered, I remember when the 2 big Canadian companies The Hudson Bay Co & Eatons. Eatons is only a memory & HBC is US owned.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

US owned. My gosh, nothing is sacred any longer. That’s like protestants owning the Kabaa, or satanists owning the wailing wall in Jerusalem, is to Americans owning the HBC.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:US owned. My gosh, nothing is sacred any longer. That’s like protestants owning the Kabaa, or satanists owning the wailing wall in Jerusalem, is to Americans owning the HBC.

Thing it's not usual type to own department store: NRDC Equity Partners
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Fun fact - Hudson Bay Company used to have an army and warships .
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Hudson's Bay Co was built on hunting and trapping. Yesterday, Justin Trudeau went behind Parliament's back and dealt a death blow to Canada's oldest and most cherished traditions. The Trudeau family won't be satisfied until Canada is destroyed beyond recognition, with institutions like Hudson's Bay wiped from history.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Hudson's Bay Co was built on hunting and trapping. Yesterday, Justin Trudeau went behind Parliament's back and dealt a death blow to Canada's oldest and most cherished traditions. The Trudeau family won't be satisfied until Canada is destroyed beyond recognition, with institutions like Hudson's Bay wiped from history.

Hmmm, I was wondering how the topic about Hudson Bay Company can be turned into "I hate Trudeau" topic. Well done.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Yeah, let's try to honour a fading institution. I've mentioned on the Outdoors Forum that we've recently discovered the HBC Fur Brigade Trail, starting at the far south end of Peachland near Hardy Falls and climbing the mountain on the way to Summerland. And further still, the HBC Heritage Trail between Hope and Tulameen. HBC was already almost 175 years old when these historic trails were carved out of what was to become B.C.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Hudson's Bay Co was built on hunting and trapping.

The wholesale slaughter of North America's mammals and birds.

Gone_Fishin wrote:Yesterday, Justin Trudeau went behind Parliament's back and dealt a death blow to Canada's oldest and most cherished traditions.

Has food hunting been outlawed? :135:

Gone_Fishin wrote: The Trudeau family won't be satisfied until Canada is destroyed beyond recognition, with institutions like Hudson's Bay wiped from history.

That one I give you. Most definitely.
Last edited by ferri on May 2nd, 2020, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quotes
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Even Steven wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:Hudson's Bay Co was built on hunting and trapping. Yesterday, Justin Trudeau went behind Parliament's back and dealt a death blow to Canada's oldest and most cherished traditions. The Trudeau family won't be satisfied until Canada is destroyed beyond recognition, with institutions like Hudson's Bay wiped from history.

Hmmm, I was wondering how the topic about Hudson Bay Company can be turned into "I hate Trudeau" topic. Well done.

If you're okay with politicians' destroying Canadian icons like HBC, you're part of the problem. One day you'll wake up and realize you have nothing left.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Gone_Fishin wrote:If you're okay with politicians' destroying Canadian icons like HBC, you're part of the problem. One day you'll wake up and realize you have nothing left.

Are you suggesting that Hudson Bay Company is still involved in hunting and trapping and Trudeau now destroying them by outlawing guns?

Cause I'm pretty sure HBC is all about selling tacky handbags and outdated clothes and don't require guns for it...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Several articles, stories, pictures and HBC going forward into the future
are all covered in the latest edition of Canada's History Magazine,
formerly The Beaver.

HBC is the worlds oldest multi-national company.
https://www.canadashistory.ca/explore/i ... l-may-2020

:birthday2: Hudson's Bay
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
George Orwell 1984
Lord of the Board

Post by George Orwell 1984 »

Even Steven wrote:
Gone_Fishin wrote:If you're okay with politicians' destroying Canadian icons like HBC, you're part of the problem. One day you'll wake up and realize you have nothing left.

Are you suggesting that Hudson Bay Company is still involved in hunting and trapping and Trudeau now destroying them by outlawing guns?

Cause I'm pretty sure HBC is all about selling tacky handbags and outdated clothes and don't require guns for it...

Hudson Bay is still involved in the fur trade they have just disguised it by purchasing the furs under a subsidiary by the name of Dominion Sudac.

Return to “Canada”