Post by ferri »

:-X Stay on topic please. Thank you.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Hudson's Bay Co. - 350 years old TODAY

Post by Queen K »

Gone_Fishin wrote:If you're okay with politicians' destroying Canadian icons like HBC, you're part of the problem. One day you'll wake up and realize you have nothing left.

The HBC was sold to a private American company in 2008

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hbc-so ... r-1.732741

Who was in parliament in 2008? Stephen Harper!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Harper

With no parade, ta do, or so much as a "Hey, Canadian icons are getting sold down the river." I don't always quote the Tyee, but when I do: https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/06/09/C ... Ownership/

I am guessing the HBC is 350 years old today no matter which country it lives in.

Happy Birthday HBC, on-line shopping is making sure you suffer the same type of death as a leg-hold trap. :birthday2:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

How climate change is still taking York Factory, the former window into the interior on Hudson Bay :cry:

"Just over 200 kilometres south of Prince of Wales Fort, another of Canada's historic places is in danger from the effects of climate change. Built in 1788, the third incarnation of the York Factory stands on the Hayes River in Northern Manitoba. This National Historic Site was an important lynch pin in the Hudson's Bay Company fur trade for two and a half centuries. Unfortunately this long standing historic place could be completely gone in as little as 100 years. The ground underneath York Factory is in a state of permafrost, but as the climate warms this permafrost has begun to thaw so that the ground supporting the factory has become less solid thus the Hayes River that runs next to the factory is able to erode the banks more quickly. Every year the river encroaches further on the York Factory, the remains of the first two York Factories have already been lost to the river. The York Factory is an especially important historic site in connection to Canada's historic fur trade and its loss would be the loss of an important connection to our past."

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/pages/6 ... tique.aspx
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

The Hudson's Bay Company archives are housed in Winnipeg and they've compiled an interactive map of the posts.

"Hudson’s Bay Company Archives – HBC Fur Trade Post Map"

https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca ... hbc_c.html
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Hunting and trapping are Aboriginal Rights, no? For the half dozen or so people left on Earth who like to wear furs, there's a legal supply source left. Hard to believe, but my parents' generation was all about wearing furs.
Last edited by occasional thoughts on May 2nd, 2020, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 2nd, 2020, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I bought a slick little KichenAid three cup food processor from The Bay. It makes an avocado salad dressing that’s better than sex. PM for a link to the recipe. It’s keto friendly.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 2nd, 2020, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

occasional thoughts wrote:Hunting and trapping ar Aboriginal Rights, no? For the half dozen or so people left on Earth who like to wear furs, there's a legal supply source left. Hard to believe, but my parents' generation was all about wearing furs.

Totally,

And my uncle ran a trapline. Up until the late 60's sold them in Edmonton--Beaver house.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

I've always had a fondness for The Bay, not so much lately but . . . Many good childhood memories of going to the iconic downtown Calgary store with my Mom. I got a great vintage but brand new point blanket coat on Ebay awhile back, have barely worn it since moving to BC. To this day I still buy the occasional 'stripes' merchandise because for whatever reason I just have a thing for that - socks, bath towels, dog stuff, Christmas ornaments.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Paddled into and slept in a few of the old forts. Respect to the voyageurs . The men of the north or in french homme du nord .

In Western Canada we also need to aknowledge the Northwestern Company. Now known as Northern stores. They were the ones who did a lot of the early exploring out West. Along with David Thompson and some others such as Radisson and Groslier. Surely I butchered his name. Sorry .

As Canadians we owe our country to the fur traders.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Coonhound, you're not a junior high school history teacher from the 1960s are you. We had tests on stuff like that. I'd always been taught they courier de bois (another botch, I took Spanish . . . runners of the woods).

I have 3 point blankets on my bed.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:spitcoffee: Coonhound, a junior high school teacher. OMIGOD, do not mention beds or Even Steven is going to be right back in here.

3 points may or may not be misconstrued. :biggrin:
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Hah. Well, Nooby brought it up, a few posts back:

" I got a great vintage but brand new point blanket coat on Ebay awhile back,"

Surely all the (ahem) mature posters here know that the HBC blankets went by "Points" for size (they were lines actually) instead of using twin, double, queen, etc. Probably had something to do with their l-o-n-g ago origin. HBC blankets were the Canadian way to get warm when I was KID.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Mature? You want mature? You best be lookin' on ward youn'un.

Return to “Canada”