My American Relatives including friendly chit chat.

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

My American Relatives including friendly chit chat.

Post by Queen K »

Sometimes it's tough to work in important information that is happening in the States, on the street level, into threads.

So here it is. Any topic, any subject, anything to do with what is happening the U.S.A. via your relatives.
Are they doing well? Struggling with lock downs? Dealing with covid19 and the medical system? Moving to Canada any day soon?

All right, set a spell and tell us about it. :up:
Last edited by Queen K on May 4th, 2020, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: My American Relatives

Post by Glacier »

The best part about this crisis is that they shut the border down so the in-laws can't come visit... haha!

In all seriousness though, my American relatives seem to be in the same boat we are. I can't really distinguish a difference between what they're experiencing compared to us, and that includes those working in hospitals.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

‘Cept I’m jealous of their one-time ‘stimulus’ checks with a beautiful, fabulous, tremendous letters signed in ‘magic’ marker one-inch-high by Donald Trump, which they can then frame and hang on the wall, or perhaps ball up and use for toilet paper if they’re out. And then if it happens to clog the toilet they can always use the plunger for added pleasure.

And of course, I'm also jealous of the armed protests. And the health care workers who are putting their lives at risk to oppose them.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Sorry, that was bad.

I was having a bad day, Kentucky family wise.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84639&start=360#p2636366

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84639&start=360#p2636779

Is anybody else here a Vietnam War draft dodger?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

WHOA! Didn't see that comin' :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
iSnack
Board Meister

Re: My American Relatives including friendly chit chat.

Post by iSnack »

Sorry, I was in a bad mood. It’s complicated. I had an uncle and aunt here in Canada. Mom and Dad, and my brother and two sisters stayed back in Kentucky. My brother was 4F due to an earlier accident. The only other best way that people of our class could escape being called up was to head for Canada. It was pretty easy for me to get sponsorship as a post-secondary student after I arrived, and most of us were classified as immigrants anyway. Jimmy Carter pardoned everybody back in 1985. Two of our kids returned ‘home’ as part of the ‘brain drain.’ And we bought a cabin on Lake Barkley as a base to help see them through graduate school. We have since passed that on to them, and I don’t consider KY home anymore anyway, but there’s a passle of family all over the place. My nephew is the relative with the virus. He’s hanging in there with the fever.

Anybody else here have a connection to 'Merica y'all?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My Dad's mom was 'murican

I still have family down there, and friends too. We keep in touch via Facebook. My best friend has two sibs down there, both vets. I hear some of what's going on from their viewpoint. Pretty much everyone is trying to focus on the good in the world so they aren't posting any of the angry stuff.
I haven't failed until I quit.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Oh, sorry again, (see, I am Canadian :biggrin: ), to cross into another thread here where I’ve posted a couple of links to advice for the lovelorn--

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85117&start=300#p2636632

The ‘authorities’ still showed up at my parents’ door, and so they had some ‘splainin’ to do. As in, you know, anything that’s traceable and wanted by the ‘goverment’ . . ..
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

We have vets from then and more recent times, after subscription--Ft. Campbell. Male and female, and fantastic people who understand.

We have three grandchildren too :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

And 'that's a good thing' as in lots of facetime fun anyway.

Also, our Vietnam Vets recommend reading, "Matterhorn: a novel of the Vietnam War."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn ... ietnam_War
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

iSnack wrote:Is anybody else here a Vietnam War draft dodger?

My mom and her first husband dodged the draft the day after they graduated from Cornell. They found refuge in the middle of nowhere way off the highway in the remote Chilcotin. That was the late 1960s. Even to this day I would say that 1/3 of the community is American. Half of those came because of Vietnam, but others came from Michigan and North Dakota before or after that because of more land available for a lot less money. Not so anymore!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Damn Yankees! Educated Yankees were 'evaders' not dodgers. :biggrin: So might they have missed out on Woodstock? A friend of mine still has his ticket since they never actually collected it. Me, I spent that summer working for my uncle before I started at UBC where some of us ended up and celebrated our good fortune.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

iSnack wrote:Damn Yankees! Educated Yankees were 'evaders' not dodgers. :biggrin: So might they have missed out on Woodstock? A friend of mine still has his ticket since they never actually collected it. Me, I spent that summer working for my uncle before I started at UBC where some of us ended up and celebrated our good fortune.

My dad (who is Canadian) tried to go down for a big concert around that time (I can't remember off hand if was Woodstock or a similar one happening around the same time). Anyway, he got arrested for hitchhiking and sent back to Canada so never made it.
- Douglas Murray
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Damn hippies! I couldn't dare to have facial hair or hair below my collar until I got to Canada. And then, wild and free! Just like it's getting now, only a lot thinner. But maybe the 'pandemic' look could catch on.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

iSnack wrote:Damn hippies! I couldn't dare to have facial hair or hair below my collar until I got to Canada. And then, wild and free! Just like it's getting now, only a lot thinner. But maybe the 'pandemic' look could catch on.

My dad did hitch hike all around the US after, and then made it down the Guatemala, and they took one look at his long hair, and said, "you must leave out country. Where are you from?" He said "Toronto", and got a free plane ride to a province he had never been to before.
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier, did he ever write a book about his hitchhiking adventures? :heart: (Having hitchhiked thousands of miles myself).

Return to “Grab Bag”