Snowbirds/Snowbird crash

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Snowbirds/Snowbird crash

Post by OKkayak »

Apparently the procedure for the CT114 with an engine out during take-off is to climb and try a restart. Assuming that there was an engine out, there was about 14 seconds between the time you hear the "pop" during take-off and the ejection of the crew. 14 seconds to recognize you lost the engine, react with a climb, attempt a restart, try to find a place to put the aircraft down, turn the aircraft to where you want to put it down and make the decision to eject and then eject and while all that is going on, the pilot is communicating to the passenger to follow his instructions that would have been covered during a pre-take off briefing. Absolute 100% respect!
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Urban Cowboy wrote:There is no back seat just two front seats.

I agree had they ejected at the peak of the climb they'd likely have been fine, as parachute would have opened all the way.

As it was, not only were they low, but they ejected practically sideways, which would make more sense in regards to the person on the ground stating it looked like the victim hit a tree.

The pilot clearly put the safety of people on the ground ahead of his own.

You are completely right. I saw a picture in passing yesterday showing Capt Casey standing next to her plane and was left with the impression it was a back seat/front seat config, but I just looked again and side by each it is. I stand corrected.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Moving Tribute

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... red-people

and, I think this is a very nice idea:

A road for Capt. Jenn Casey

Link to the petition in the article.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... y-launched
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Drip_Torch wrote:That's pretty much exactly the impression I'm left with. Capt. MacDougall had it levelled and right side up, but the system punched out the back seat and then the front seat. I can see Capt MacDougall's chute at least starting to open, before he goes out of sight, but by the time Capt. Casey was ejected the jet was already nose down.

Milliseconds made the difference. And of course, what isn't lost on me is the fact he tried so hard to get it back over the airport. Obviously, had they ejected at the apex of the climb, they would have had a much better chance, but it seems he really tried to avoid sending the jet into a populated neighborhood and hung on as long as he could.

Nice narrative. There is no front seat back seat, it’s a tandem seat aircraft. If your gonna guess....we’ll,
BCwrangler

Post by BCwrangler »

Search "blancolirio" on Youtube....He's great at factual reporting on aircraft incidents and He did a very good one on yesterday's crash
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

BCwrangler wrote:Search "blancolirio" on Youtube....He's great at factual reporting on aircraft incidents and He did a very good one on yesterday's crash

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

It's already posted in this thread, just a few posts ago.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

BCwrangler wrote:Search "blancolirio" on Youtube....He's great at factual reporting on aircraft incidents and He did a very good one on yesterday's crash

"nepal" posted that video just a few posts above yours, but thanks :up:
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

rookie314 wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote:That's pretty much exactly the impression I'm left with. Capt. MacDougall had it levelled and right side up, but the system punched out the back seat and then the front seat. I can see Capt MacDougall's chute at least starting to open, before he goes out of sight, but by the time Capt. Casey was ejected the jet was already nose down.

Milliseconds made the difference. And of course, what isn't lost on me is the fact he tried so hard to get it back over the airport. Obviously, had they ejected at the apex of the climb, they would have had a much better chance, but it seems he really tried to avoid sending the jet into a populated neighborhood and hung on as long as he could.

Nice narrative. There is no front seat back seat, it’s a tandem seat aircraft. If your gonna guess....we’ll,

Which of course I corrected. You'll what? Dive on the opportunity to parrot something that's already been said?

Point being the new video footage really changed my perspective from that offered by the "aviation expert" yesterday on Global. The "Global guy" suggested he had no control *if* the stove went out. To me it looks and sounds like the fire did go out and he used all the control he had to gain some altitude (I assume while trying a restart) and then traded that altitude for airspeed and a quick 180 to get him back over the airport.

"blancolirio" on Youtube - discusses the previously available video angles. The new one gives me the impression it was all a very calculated decision, made in milliseconds, to get the jet away from the city core and back over the airport. Take a look on a map where the jet ended up - take a look at what it was going over when it spun around.

If that was indeed "an out of control happen-stance" - it worked out very well considering where the jet was, the vector it was on, and the values on the ground underneath it.

To me it looks like a very valiant effort towards the best possible outcome.

I guess we'll know when the report is done.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Found a great video with a lot of insight into the CT114's systems including the ejection seat system and engine re-light:

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

On an early post I mentioned that a pop could be heard just after take off. I also noticed, (On the same video?) that a bird flew across the runway, left to right just as the planes were coming down the runway. I wonder if another bird or two followed it?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

OKkayak wrote:Found a great video with a lot of insight into the CT114's systems...

You sure did. :up:

Incidentally, Capt. Casey's social media feeds were still up last night and what an absolute gem that team has lost. No doubt those Tudors are going to be hauling some very heavy hearts back to Moose Jaw.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Found another one that includes the complete in-cockpit emergency briefing in the event of an engine failure during takeoff:

Briefing starts at about 4:40
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 19th, 2020, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 19th, 2020, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to bait
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY

Return to “Kamloops”