Examples of TFW's being exploited

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
iSnack
Board Meister

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by iSnack »

This is old news now, but maybe a new idea.

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The reality is that people have made the decision to sit on their lazy àssës and collect the $2k/mo CERB than work on a farm. This is indisputable and why we need the SAWP.

I have no comment on other general TFWs as my knowledge base on those situations is very thin.
You and 71 others Like this post
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

iSnack wrote:This is old news now, but maybe a new idea.

Still appropriate,

I grew up in Chilliwack, and when I was around 7 years old my mom started taking my sister and myself out to the strawberry and raspberry fields. Making it a family fun day.
Back then ( mid 70's ) we were making over $2.00 a flat. Averaging over 2 flats each an hour.
I will tell you, it was pretty good money back then. As a bonus we never needed a lunch :biggrin:

I know it doesn't get the crops planted, and may not get the early and late crops picked. However I know some local families would love a similar opportunity. Especially this year.
For proof of this, look at how many families get together at the U-Pick fruit places.
It always looks like they are having a good time together.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

How are they being "exploited"?

They are offered employment at over 100X the rate that they could get in Mexico.

I am sure that they are very happy with the money, living conditions, and the opportunities that Canada has to offer.

Have you ever seen how they live in Mexico? Camping in BC is a huge step-up.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Coonhound wrote:Send em all home. Each and every one. Canadian jobs for Canadian workers. The ones who want to move here and become citizens should be given a fair chance and reviewed for citizenship provided they are willing to keep working. Short of that. Get them out of here. They are driving down wages. Taking food off the tables of Canadian families.

Apparently you've chosen to ignore some simple facts.

Would you like some examples of jobs where the wages were driven up and up and up and up, for positions that I'll add were nowhere near rocket science, and eventually in the end those companies either folded, or sent their manufacturing needs overseas, or to Mexico.

That didn't work out so well for Canadian workers either did it?

Point being a number of you think the solution to everything labour related is to throw more money at it.

Those of you thinking that way, have never had to deal with the employer side of challenges related to running a successful business.

That's obvious by the substance of your posts.

As far as I'm concerned there are a lot of Canadian workers who are lazy, and paying them more isn't going to ensure that they are more productive, in fact during one experience years ago working as a sub contractor for a large food distribution warehouse, it was the very well paid and compensated company employees who were the least productive and many of them slackers to the core.

I'm quite convinced that even if they were paid whatever you guys feel is justified, they'd simply find another reason to gripe and not get anything done, be it work conditions, hours of work, or because they saw the owner driving a car much more expensive than theirs.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Coonhound wrote:Send em all home. Each and every one. Canadian jobs for Canadian workers. The ones who want to move here and become citizens should be given a fair chance and reviewed for citizenship provided they are willing to keep working. Short of that. Get them out of here. They are driving down wages. Taking food off the tables of Canadian families.

Apparently you've chosen to ignore some simple facts.

Would you like some examples of jobs where the wages were driven up and up and up and up, for positions that I'll add were nowhere near rocket science, and eventually in the end those companies either folded, or sent their manufacturing needs overseas, or to Mexico.

That didn't work out so well for Canadian workers either did it?

Point being a number of you think the solution to everything labour related is to throw more money at it.

Those of you thinking that way, have never had to deal with the employer side of challenges related to running a successful business.

That's obvious by the substance of your posts.

As far as I'm concerned there are a lot of Canadian workers who are lazy, and paying them more isn't going to ensure that they are more productive, in fact during one experience years ago working as a sub contractor for a large food distribution warehouse, it was the very well paid and compensated company employees who were the least productive and many of them slackers to the core.

I'm quite convinced that even if they were paid whatever you guys feel is justified, they'd simply find another reason to gripe and not get anything done, be it work conditions, hours of work, or because they saw the owner driving a car much more expensive than theirs.

I sign the front of the check and the back
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:How are they being "exploited"?

They are offered employment at over 100X the rate that they could get in Mexico.

I am sure that they are very happy with the money, living conditions, and the opportunities that Canada has to offer.

Have you ever seen how they live in Mexico? Camping in BC is a huge step-up.

I'm guessing that's part of what niggles the anti TFW crowd, given they can't grasp someone actually being happy doing agricultural work, that many feel is beneath them thus warranting a $50hr wage to harvest crops.

There are about thirty TFW's working the vineyard across the road from where I am, and whenever I drive by or walk down to get my mail, they are always smiling and working away, and I've yet to see one glued to a digital device.

Coonhound wrote:I sign the front of the check and the back

Is that supposed to impress me?

That could easily simply be out of necessity, if employers aren't taken by the demeanour of potential employees. :biggrin:

Don't know the situation here and don't really care.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I'm guessing that's part of what niggles the anti TFW crowd, given they can't grasp someone actually being happy doing agricultural work, that many feel is beneath them thus warranting a $50hr wage to harvest crops.

I know you are just making a point, but I have to respond to it.

If a farmer was offering 1/2, so $25.00 I can pretty much guarantee they would have a lineup of good workers going around the block trying to get a job. I would be one of those waiting
Even at 1/3 that $16.67 they would still most likely get more applications than they could handle.
Oddly enough, this is getting close to the $18 per hour I have often said I feel is fair for most farm jobs.
But at the $13.85 that most farmers are paying, its an insult to any hard working Canadian.

I know that some farmers actually pay a decent wage. Good luck if you want a job with them.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

I would like to see products made by tfw in Canada labeled as tfw made. I feel like it would put a dent in the sales of those products. Maybe to the point of getting the parasitic tfw out of our country. Not many issues bother me so much as the tfw problem
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Just the fact that tfw are willing to sleep in basements of hamburger shacks . Get on a plane or into a seacan and come over here to be abused and ripped off. Tells you A. We do not need them. And B. We can do a heck of a lot better at treating those who do come here decently.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

For those saying "The answer is simple - pay more for this work"

The answer isn't that simple. Canada is part of a global economy. Already the bulk of our food is imported from outside of Canada. Paying farm workers more would mean higher cost of Canadian made goods leading to more import and further reduced production in Canada.

Your answer isn't "Pay them more" it's "Just close the farms and import the food from Mexico"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

How many locals would be willing to pay 3X the current price?

$12.00/lb for local cherries, picked by local residents?

I personally don't care what nationality picks my fruit, so long as the price is competitive and within budget.
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

stuphoto wrote:I am getting tired of hearing how Lazy Canadian's are, just because we refuse to be exploited by the employers or work agencies they often hire.
So I decided decided to post a few news stories as examples.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/national ... n-workers/

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/col ... n-workers/

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/opinio ... ap-labour/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -resident/

4 stories is hopefully enough but if not I could go on and on

tfw program, is nothing more than keeping wages low for bigger profit.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

the truth wrote:
stuphoto wrote:I am getting tired of hearing how Lazy Canadian's are, just because we refuse to be exploited by the employers or work agencies they often hire.
So I decided decided to post a few news stories as examples.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/national ... n-workers/

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/col ... n-workers/

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/opinio ... ap-labour/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -resident/

4 stories is hopefully enough but if not I could go on and on

tfw program, is nothing more than keeping wages low for bigger profit.

It has been going on for decades. H & R Transport went to England to recruit truckers, paid their passage to Canada, then had them sign 2 year contracts. Once the contracts were signed, the truckers were screwed over. They suffered low daily miles and waited days for a reload all with no pay. A bunch of the Brits went home with less $$$ than when they arrived in Canada.

The same happens today... mainland outfits offering LMIAs to those that qualify, yet when a driver with years experience applies they hear nothing.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

eires37 wrote:
It has been going on for decades. H & R Transport went to England to recruit truckers, paid their passage to Canada, then had them sign 2 year contracts. Once the contracts were signed, the truckers were screwed over. They suffered low daily miles and waited days for a reload all with no pay. A bunch of the Brits went home with less $$$ than when they arrived in Canada.

The same happens today... mainland outfits offering LMIAs to those that qualify, yet when a driver with years experience applies they hear nothing.

I almost hate to say this, but we can also look at Big White for an example of the same practice.
I know they pay better than minimum wage, but most of their workers are imported from Australia, and leave the mountain pretty much penniless.
The main difference between them and the farm workers is they are at least having fun up there.

Return to “Social Concerns”