Shortage of skilled workers

ajoker
Posts: 49
Joined: Dec 20th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by ajoker »

nicholas p wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:These are "unskilled" jobs. The problem with these positions is that there is no possibility for advancement, unless you are hoping to obtain the position of "Head Chambermaid" and accept the $1/hr raise over minimum wage, after 8 years of service.

NO....I don't think that employers can find locals to do these jobs, if they do, the staff turnover is high and retraining is expensive.

TFW are keeping these low profit businesses alive. Without them, there would be no spin-off work available for bartenders and waitresses.....etc.


I don't agree with you about training period as the immigrants also stay in these jobs only until they get PR under PNP scheme & then they apply for jobs in their line of education as most of these immigrants are skilled and educated in different stream which is abundant here which causes glut in that skill locally in job market which indirectly causes our local kids who are just out of universities under paid or unemployed. The only reason employers prefer immigrants as no authority is monitoring once inside Canada if they are treated as per labour law or not, immigrant is scared to complain against the mistreatment bcoz if he complains employer will send him back & his dream of getting PR is dashed . Also he will lose the money he has paid to immigration agent for coming to Canada.


What industry in BC currently has a glut of skilled labour?

You can't name one - these immigrants you speak of don't exist.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3949
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by bob vernon »

1791 wrote:Any sign of the 2500 the UN plans to dump into Vernon. Where will they all live ?


It's actually 300, not 2500. But 2500 sounds way worse and an impossibly high number to deal with. Plus it helps in the demonization of the UN. So what if it's a fake, madeup, number.
tykrz
Posts: 29
Joined: Apr 27th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by tykrz »

There’s no shortage of skilled workers. They are all driving to AB to work. Maybe if local businesses paid a proper wage they’d find skilled talent instead of blowing “sunshine tax” up your [email protected]#(&. Like the old adage says..... you get what you pay for.
CanuckFan
Fledgling
Posts: 189
Joined: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:30 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by CanuckFan »

Perhaps the local business cannot afford to pay the higher wages that people demand.

I know of one tradesman who had a lot of employees - good steady work at a good pay and apprenticeships. After they got their certifications, they mostly ran off to Alberta in search of the 'big bucks'. No one here can pay people 10 K a month, and they aren't exactly living in work camps or working long days with no breaks around here, either.

It is not always the employer at fault, many employees could just be greedy at the thought of $$$.
slimebucket
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, 2010, 1:25 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by slimebucket »

CanuckFan wrote:
It is not always the employer at fault, many employees could just be greedy at the thought of $$$.



Yeah, because wanting a living wage, something that is ABOVE MINIMUM wage, or getting paid what the worker is WORTH is the employee being greedy. Wanting whats owed is GREEDY! lol what kind of mental gymnastics are you doing here? In what world are you being selfish for wanting to be paid enough to pay bills and rent?

here ima fix your paragraph

"- good steady work at a good pay for vernon, but below average pay for the trade, and apprenticeships. After they got their certifications, they mostly WHERE FORCED off to Alberta in search of ENOUGH MONEY TO JUST PAY RENT AND BASIC BILLS"

People in BC act like the people that are FORCED TO FLEE and go to alberta are the bad people. You are all racist towards albertians.

NEWS FLASH. People leave BC in droves not ONLY because they are "chasing big bucks"... the main reason is to get away from greedy people, and people like yourself who is so deluded that you think you and your cronies are not selfish and that its everyone else that is selfish.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2034
Joined: Oct 14th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Boosted632 »

slimebucket wrote:
CanuckFan wrote:
It is not always the employer at fault, many employees could just be greedy at the thought of $$$.



Yeah, because wanting a living wage, something that is ABOVE MINIMUM wage, or getting paid what the worker is WORTH is the employee being greedy. Wanting whats owed is GREEDY! lol what kind of mental gymnastics are you doing here? In what world are you being selfish for wanting to be paid enough to pay bills and rent?

here ima fix your paragraph

"- good steady work at a good pay for vernon, but below average pay for the trade, and apprenticeships. After they got their certifications, they mostly WHERE FORCED off to Alberta in search of ENOUGH MONEY TO JUST PAY RENT AND BASIC BILLS"

People in BC act like the people that are FORCED TO FLEE and go to alberta are the bad people. You are all racist towards albertians.

NEWS FLASH. People leave BC in droves not ONLY because they are "chasing big bucks"... the main reason is to get away from greedy people, and people like yourself who is so deluded that you think you and your cronies are not selfish and that its everyone else that is selfish.

News Flash NOTHING is "owed" to you if want to be paid what you're worth you work for it and prove your worth, stay in alberta they deserve you its a good place for you
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51191
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Bsuds »

I read this thread and happened to see this...very appropriate.

list.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
User avatar
Iamme
Fledgling
Posts: 304
Joined: Feb 8th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Iamme »

[quote
People in BC act like the people that are FORCED TO FLEE and go to alberta are the bad people. You are all racist towards albertians.
[/quote]

Newsflash: Albertans aren’t a ‘race’ [icon_lol2.gif]
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3949
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by bob vernon »

Biting my tongue.
slimebucket
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 10th, 2010, 1:25 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by slimebucket »

"stay in alberta they deserve you its a good place for you" This is by far the best advice I have ever gotten on these forums. I know you where tying to be snarky and passive aggressive, but your right. BC Does NOT deserve me, my wife or my family. Alberta is a great place for me I fully agree. my rent is half for a much bigger place, I get a great wage, got 3 jobs, and the best difference is the PEOPLE ARE POLITE, caring and kind!

Thank you all for proving me right. literally everything you say here is intended to make people feel WRONG, or dumb, no matter what is said.

I could say the sky is blue, and you would still be like

"you are wrong. Space, is actually black. What you see as blue, is just what you see, your a fool for having that opinion."


I know for a fact the world owes me Nothing. Why do you think I moved to somewhere that actually looks after its population instead of sit in a place NO ONE but rich retired people are welcome?


Stereotypical BC behavior, a serious conversation about the problems, and the only thing people have to say is insults, jokes, and telling people how wanting a better life is "thinking the world owes you", ur bad, dumb and WRONG because you want a better life....

and yal wonder why the skilled workers leave LOL

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Dec 23rd, 2020, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by stuphoto »

I usually make about 50% of my years wages over a 2 month period in the NWT and just survive off my BC wages the rest of the year.
I stayed here because of my voluntary commitment to helping out my mom.
Now that she is gone, I will most likely be moving out of province and paying cash for a house with property.
The scary thing is I would hardly have enough for a down payment in most BC communities.
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister
Posts: 494
Joined: Oct 19th, 2019, 10:57 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Staredintoabyss »

I find it interesting how when this topic comes up people always ignore huge parts of the situation.

An earlier post accused people of having a "demand" for better wages, but last I checked good intentions don't pay the power bill.

What is being framed as greed is often just wanting enough to be able to live on, not a fancy life, not the many vacations life, just the put a little away for the future kind of income. The kind of income where not every small issue ends up going on credit because people can put a little away in case.

Vancouver is even more expensive than here yet people earn more down there too. I have talked to a wide range of people in this valley who work multiple jobs just to not go backwards.

This is a conversation about math and there is a very real growing problem here and shaming people for bringing it up won't solve it.
nicholas p
Posts: 74
Joined: May 1st, 2015, 8:06 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by nicholas p »

Staredintoabyss wrote:I find it interesting how when this topic comes up people always ignore huge parts of the situation.

An earlier post accused people of having a "demand" for better wages, but last I checked good intentions don't pay the power bill.

What is being framed as greed is often just wanting enough to be able to live on, not a fancy life, not the many vacations life, just the put a little away for the future kind of income. The kind of income where not every small issue ends up going on credit because people can put a little away in case.

Vancouver is even more expensive than here yet people earn more down there too. I have talked to a wide range of people in this valley who work multiple jobs just to not go backwards.

This is a conversation about math and there is a very real growing problem here and shaming people for bringing it up won't solve it.
I agree with you as we have homeless population increasing & cost of living is increasing but wages of employees is decreasing or stagnant the reason for all this is our government which doesn't keep of immigrants who come here on work permit/student visa & start doing couple of jobs with driving the wages down & making couple of locals lose their employment /work for lower wage. So whoever can't survive with lower wage in BC migrate across to border where wages are higher & migrant don't prefer those place due to cold.
So the solution is the immigration department doing their job properly by surprise check on businesses & keeping tab on work permit/student visa holders
nicholas p
Posts: 74
Joined: May 1st, 2015, 8:06 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by nicholas p »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 27th, 2020, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quoted post with nothing added.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by dontrump »

we do not have a shortage of so called skilled workers ;; we have a government that fails to vet welfare scammers
(men and women whom are fully capable of being employed ) and so we do have a shortage of workers to do minimum wage jobs and seasonal work etc ;; the government should refuse welfare to the hundreds of thousands whom cheat the welfare system and make it mandator they work and then government could subsidize them so they make a livable wage
a win win for both sides

Return to “North Okanagan”