Carriage house construction cost?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Singlemalt

Carriage house construction cost?

Post by Singlemalt »

Thinking of adding a 1 bd / 1 ba carriage house (about 650 - 700 sq ft) to our property. Wondering how much to budget for construction cost? Any advice welcome. Thanks!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Carriage house construction cost?

Post by vegas1500 »

Many variables in that. Doing anything yourself? Are you going to be the general or just hire it out. Been a while since I built anything and it wasn’t in Kelowna, but I would guess low end $125 sq/ft to higher end $175 sq/ft.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Mom built new in 2018. Cost 430k plus for 1600 sqft. Do the math. Prices are outrageous. It is mostly taxes and fees. Too much government costing us way too much money. 97k avg cost added to a house in Kelowna due to local BS taxes
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

oldtrucker wrote:1 bed 1 bath would be more like $400 sqft (?) Last time I looked into a build it was 8 years ago and $500 sqft, but that was part reno. I've read that some people spend $70k on a 'tiny house'. I'd budget $30k at least. Now that I think about it, 30k could go a long way if you wait for another few months.

Wow....so much for my guess. A coworker has built a couple of garage suites (in Edmonton) and he has come in at around $130 sq/ft. Nothing fancy at all and around that 650 sq/ft over top a double garage. Again, very basic. I really don’t think a 650 sq ft cottage house would cost $260K though.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

As stated, the cost can vary wildly depending on the circumstances. It also depends on what you include in how you calculate cost. Eg - Landscaping, driveway/paving, etc.

Assuming you're going to hire a contractor and make "economical" choices with finishing's, I'd expect to spend $250,000 - $300,000 by the time the dust clears.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Which areas offer the opp to build a 'carriage house' ? Kelowna? Vernon? regional districts?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Brushy Bill wrote:Which areas offer the opp to build a 'carriage house' ? Kelowna? Vernon? regional districts?

All do if you have the right zoning. Even if you don't have the right zoning, there's a process to apply for a zoning change assuming your property meets certain criteria.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Was told around 250k to build a simple carriage house.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

In my experience, take your maximum expected budget and double it.
But then again I always get some brilliant ideas along the way and make changes.

Although I hate Modular homes.
It's easier to control your budget since you won't be seeing the progress and making as many changes along the way.
Plus there are some nice designs out there.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Brushy Bill wrote:Which areas offer the opp to build a 'carriage house' ? Kelowna? Vernon? regional districts?

In Kelowna, you can generally look at RU6 and RU7 lots for that opportunity.
You and 71 others Like this post
mrj316694

Post by mrj316694 »

I'm actually in the same boat, thinking about adding a carriage house to our property as well. I've been doing some digging because I want to make sure I've got a realistic budget in mind for 2024. I'm curious to see what others have to say and what kind of numbers we're looking at in today's market.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

LANDM wrote: Jun 15th, 2020, 10:56 am
In Kelowna, you can generally look at RU6 and RU7 lots for that opportunity.
They are now RU4 (duplex) and FM1 (Infill)
I haven't failed until I quit.
kmoonen

Post by kmoonen »

So, after some research and chatting with a few local builders, I've learned that for a 650 - 700 sq ft carriage house, you're probably looking at a ballpark figure somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000. This of course depends on your location, finishes, and any custom features you might want to include. It's not a small chunk of change, but planning ahead can really help manage the costs.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Coonhound wrote: May 24th, 2020, 10:53 pm Mom built new in 2018. Cost 430k plus for 1600 sqft. Do the math.
Might as well buy a house lol.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”