Examples of TFW's being exploited

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Coonhound
Banned

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by Coonhound »

Yes. Excellent point. Much bigger problem than just farm workers. They are only a small fraction of the problem. It is every job basically. Soon it will be IT guys too. They will be the easiest to replace with TFW because code is universal for the most part.

The fix is simple. Force companies to pay a market rate. No minimum. No maximum. Just what the market will bear. Tend to find out rather quick what that is. This way cheapskates will not be encouraged to import cheap labour. It will all be the same price.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

stuphoto wrote:
eires37 wrote:
It has been going on for decades. H & R Transport went to England to recruit truckers, paid their passage to Canada, then had them sign 2 year contracts. Once the contracts were signed, the truckers were screwed over. They suffered low daily miles and waited days for a reload all with no pay. A bunch of the Brits went home with less $$$ than when they arrived in Canada.

The same happens today... mainland outfits offering LMIAs to those that qualify, yet when a driver with years experience applies they hear nothing.

I almost hate to say this, but we can also look at Big White for an example of the same practice.
I know they pay better than minimum wage, but most of their workers are imported from Australia, and leave the mountain pretty much penniless.
The main difference between them and the farm workers is they are at least having fun up there.

While I don’t know if "having fun" working at either Big White or on the farms is an accurate portrayal, I agree that the foreign employees at BW have fun being up there (on their time off) but I also know that the farmworkers from Mexico, Jamaica, and the non-SAWP workers from other countries (for example, the large amount of Czech workers very recently) are very happy when here and are making really good money. There are few, if any, morose faces out there.

Again, I am not commenting on non-farm workers except as specified.
You and 71 others Like this post
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Coonhound wrote:I sign the front of the check and the back

Signing the front and back of the cheque for a tiny business with very few employees is a minuscule accomplishment compared with the needs of bigger local businesses that require hundreds of employees for a highly perishable product with zero room for error.

Your grasp of the issue is incomplete.
You and 71 others Like this post
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

LANDM wrote:
Coonhound wrote:I sign the front of the check and the back

Signing the front and back of the cheque for a tiny business with very few employees is a minuscule accomplishment compared with the needs of bigger local businesses that require hundreds of employees for a highly perishable product with zero room for error.

Your grasp of the issue is incomplete.

I agree. Much to learn on my part. Thats one of the things i like about this forum. There is much to be learned here if one chooses to learn.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Coonhound wrote:Soon it will be IT guys too. They will be the easiest to replace with TFW because code is universal for the most part.

Completely ignoring the difference between "IT" and "Software Engineering" - were you asleep in the late 90's/early 2000's? Many "IT" jobs were outsourced and off-shored. Subsequently, many of the middle-tier IT jobs were re-shored and most of the tier-1 jobs are still outsourced to MSPs with local oversight/management.

As for software engineering - most North American companies are hesitant to have their new and current IP (read: source) touched by outside developers for fear of IP theft. The current state of affairs is to generally utilize external shops for either maintenance of systems or to develop very specific components of a larger system, usually under a strict NDA, and managed/supervised by an internal engineering manager. Code may be universal, but the underlying IP (methods and processes) of the larger system are generally the bread and butter of software companies.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Coonhound wrote:More great TFW workers.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... 7OA0ENwMuM

and how many of of them have now infected the local community, no more tfw program stop it now
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Yep back in the sea cans to be sent home. Best thing for everyone. Look at that wages went up for locals too . Who woulda guessed.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Best decision they ever made. Thank you Mexico. Love your people. Keep them safe in Mexico. Instead of allowing them to drive down our wages here. https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/30 ... -19-deaths
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Coonhound wrote:Best decision they ever made. Thank you Mexico. Love your people. Keep them safe in Mexico. Instead of allowing them to drive down our wages here. https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/30 ... -19-deaths

:smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

I laughed out loud that Mexico won't sent their citizens here.

How does that make the pro-TFW crowd feel knowing their safety standards are less than the Mexican governments?

The bar is low.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Vacancyrate wrote:I laughed out loud that Mexico won't sent their citizens here.

How does that make the pro-TFW crowd feel knowing their safety standards are less than the Mexican governments?

The bar is low.

But but ... some need a million workers. For short pwriods of time. This same group prefers not to pay the going rate for labour.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

Coonhound wrote:
Vacancyrate wrote:I laughed out loud that Mexico won't sent their citizens here.

The bar is low.

But but ... some need a million workers. For short pwriods of time. This same group prefers not to pay the going rate for labour.

Funny to how that same group who won't pay a decent wage has fat kids who haven't a clue what a day's work is.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

typhoon44 wrote:
stuphoto wrote:I am getting tired of hearing how Lazy Canadian's are, just because we refuse to be exploited by the employers or work agencies they often hire.
So I decided decided to post a few news stories as examples.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/national ... n-workers/

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/col ... n-workers/

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/opinio ... ap-labour/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -resident/

4 stories is hopefully enough but if not I could go on and on

So you're willing to pay $100 for a steak, or $75 for a pound of cherries?

Thats because of Trudeau and his free trade agreements. Not our fault most industry is subsidized in Canada now because of him and Freeland the Freeloader! Not my fault the Trudeau wackadoodles like a broke and divided nation.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Let us not seem to excited. 2 young men died. They were exploited to death I guess you could say .

Pretty easy to assume they both would be alive and well today had they not been exploited by a greedy Canadian. I propose charges of manslaughter for anyone who has a TFW die while working for them

Return to “Social Concerns”