Examples of TFW's being exploited

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
crankster
Banned

Re: Examples of TFW's being exploited

Post by crankster »

My job description: resident manager/building operator.
boilerman power 1
- tenant management-rentals
- maintenance/repairs
Actual: admin and secretarial- documents processing and rent collection and turn over
-drywaller/mudder/taper
-electrician
-plumber
-carpenter
-all around fixer
-security/ night man
- resident psychologist/first aid
- bartender/roller
-emergency boyfriend/bouncer
Whos exploited?
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Sounds like BC will still have TFWs from Mexico . Lucky for a few on here.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

crankster wrote:My job description: resident manager/building operator.
boilerman power 1
- maintenance/repairs
Actual: admin and secretarial- documents processing and rent collection and turn over
-drywaller/mudder/taper
-electrician
-plumber
-carpenter
-all around fixer
-security/ night man
- bartender/roller
Whos exploited?

Don't forget on call 24/7.
I respect resident managers, and wouldn't want the job myself.
I know it isn't a bad job with all the right tenants who respect each other and only disturb you after hours with a true emergency.
But it can be with 1 bad tenant, or people who call you at 2am with a burned out lightbulb.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Coonhound wrote:Let us not seem to excited. 2 young men died. They were exploited to death I guess you could say .

Pretty easy to assume they both would be alive and well today had they not been exploited by a greedy Canadian. I propose charges of manslaughter for anyone who has a TFW die while working for them

So why stop there, may as well lay charges for all the old people that have died in long term care facilities, all the obese people who have died from fast food diets, diabetics who have died after years of ingesting beverages laden with sugar, and so on.

Simply put, unless you can manage to somehow prove that an employer knowingly gave their employee(s) covid-19, your proposition is flat out ridiculous.

Then again when it comes to the TFW topic, several simply refuse to accept reality, and instead keep perpetuating falsehoods, and stubbornly cling to your misguided notions.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

stuphoto wrote:
crankster wrote:My job description: resident manager/building operator.
boilerman power 1
- maintenance/repairs
-drywaller/mudder/taper
-electrician
-plumber
-carpenter
-all around fixer
-security/ night man
- bartender/roller
Whos exploited?

Don't forget on call 24/7.
I respect resident managers, and wouldn't want the job myself.
I know it isn't a bad job with all the right tenants who respect each other and only disturb you after hours with a true emergency.
But it can be with 1 bad tenant, or people who call you at 2am with a burned out lightbulb.

Missing tub stopper usually...
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Coonhound wrote:Let us not seem to excited. 2 young men died. They were exploited to death I guess you could say .

Pretty easy to assume they both would be alive and well today had they not been exploited by a greedy Canadian. I propose charges of manslaughter for anyone who has a TFW die while working for them

What you will have to do first is get the government to change the definition of manslaughter to fit your custom needs for this situation, as it does not conform to any definition of manslaughter currently in existence.
You and 71 others Like this post
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Sort of related.

I just realized that some people seem to feel TFW is a racial term.
Which it isn't.
It is Anyone brought in from Any country for Temporary work.

They may be from the USA helping to fight the forest fires, or as pointed out in another thread Australian workers going up to Big White.
They may even look and talk just like your next door neighbors.

Some are Absolutely Necessary, whereas others are not.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

stuphoto wrote:Sort of related.

Which it isn't.

Neoliberals have trained people to think that talking about immigration policies is "racist".

Neoliberals have trained people to think that criticizing temporary foreign labour is "racist".

Giant corporations love cheap labour. They tell you they are bringing Jose to Canada to make the world a better place.

In reality it's just business and they need more customers.

If you think the bus is getting more crowded and services are getting stretched thin - you must be a Nazi to think it has something to do with immigration!

Slick. Slick. Slick.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

stuphoto wrote:Sort of related.

Which it isn't.

They may be from the USA helping to fight the forest fires, or as pointed out in another thread Australian workers going up to Big White.
They may even look and talk just like your next door neighbors.

Some are Absolutely Necessary, whereas others are not.

You are partially correct in your statement above, but not entirely. TFW's would be fairly accurately described as being "brought in from any country for temporary work". Not much argument there.

However, as also pointed out in the other thread, the actual TFW situation generally does not apply, in practical terms, to a place like Big White, which tends to hire young folks on holiday working visas. Those are valid for two years and they can work pretty well anywhere and are not "brought in" to work like a TFW is. They initiate the process themselves and bring themselves in without a guarantee of work. Employers do not have to prove anything to hire them. They can generally stay for up to two years and move freely within the country and take different jobs at will.

A further type of common worker here would be brought in under the SAWP and they are what we visibly see in the Okanagan in the farm season. Visible because they are from very specific countries (Mexico and Caribbean, generally Jamaica), so unless your neighbours are from those countries, they generally do not look or talk like them.

They are all very different unless you are simply taking the three words that the term "TFW" stands for and using them as a general descriptor, but even that may not necessarily be accurate,
They are all temporary, they are all foreign, but they all may or may not be workers. There is not any *requirement* for sustained employment under the holiday working visa.
Coonhound
Banned

Post by Coonhound »

Send em all home. Safer and better for everyone
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

Coonhound wrote:Send em all home. Safer and better for everyone

Yup, go fight for your country and leave mine to me.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Coonhound wrote:Send em all home. Safer and better for everyone

Why?
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/303962 ... nt-workers

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Of the roughly 550 B.C. farms with Mexican migrant workers, Diaz Ceballos said she has visited more than 350 of them and has spoken to over 5,000 workers over the last four years.

“Forty per cent have substandard housing,” said Diaz Ceballos. “It's horrible. We have found farms where the conditions are deplorable. It's not human to have a person living there.”

Diaz Ceballos described housing facilities covered in trash, infested with cockroaches and with no mattresses for the workers to sleep on. In some cases, farmers have installed padlocks on the outside of a bunk house’s only exit, effectively trapping workers inside.

“If there's an emergency, there's a fire, they will be dead immediately,” she said.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#303962 well how about that tfw treated like garbage- but many keep saying they are treated well [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] i guess not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”