Weeds

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Weeds

Post by bob vernon »

There are all kinds of weed flourishing along many of the roads in Vernon. Purple loosestrife is even being transplanted by some people who "like the look of the flowers" without considering that it is invasive and hard to get rid of. And the thistles. I've seen some of them towering over me and I'm over 6 feet. They need to be mowed...... and not after they've gone to seed.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Weeds

Post by Catsumi »

Agree with you about thistles.

Those lovely purple flowers in the ditches are phlox, not loosestrife....if we are seeing the same thing. Tall, medium to dark purple blossom.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Yes, folks are required control "noxious weeds" on their properties to prevent the spread - most municipalities in the North Okanagan have a Good Neighbour bylaw or similar that can be enforced, for Scotch Thistle, etc.

Catsumi, the purple masses along Swan Lake, etc. that began flowering in May/June are "Dame's Rocket" - 4 petal flowers (not 5 petals like Phlox). DR is considered invasive, although the impacts of these infestations are not yet well-understood - should likely be upgraded to "noxious" soon.

Fireweed, a native invasive, is just flowering now.

Purple Loosestrife doesn't flower till much later - July/August - and is considered "noxious" in the North Okanagan - locations should be reported.

Here's a link to the RDNO 2020 Noxious Weeds & Invasive Plant Guide http://www.rdno.ca/docs/RDNO_Weed_Brochure_11x17_web.pdf
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Thanks for the correction Ingevan. Dame's Rocket it is but it makes such lovely flower arrangements. :biggrin:

Why do we see it only in ditches unless, as usual, I am missing something. Is it an escapee?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Yes Catsumi, DR is an ornamental that escaped - likely imported from Europe? It is a member of the Mustard family so it is a prolific seed producer. As you noted, it seems to prefer moist areas, hence seen in ditches, especially near Swan Lake, etc. "Pretty but a problem", just like me!
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I wil keep an eye out for problem DRs (and you too!)

Haha :biggrin:

Unknown
theobry

Post by theobry »

When I first arrived from the prairies 10 years ago, I noticed a handful of Scotch thistle plants growing in an open area. As prairie culture, I notified BC officials expecting an understanding of the danger and a quick response. However, I was quickly rejected. Indian lands are exempt from ANY weed control. I notified the Band without response. Now they are a monster problem.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

theobry wrote:When I first arrived from the prairies 10 years ago, I noticed a handful of Scotch thistle plants growing in an open area. As prairie culture, I notified BC officials expecting an understanding of the danger and a quick response. However, I was quickly rejected. Indian lands are exempt from ANY weed control. I notified the Band without response. Now they are a monster problem.

what?? the Band never replied nor did a thing about any noxious or invasive weeds LOL what a surprise that is :130:
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

We have patches of thistles in our garden beds. Yeah they spread, but it's not a big deal to control them. They are an excellent bumblebee attractant. Even the research centre in Summerland has stands of them.
I birn quil I se
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

Hairy vetch is becoming a real problem, quickly. Hoary alyssum is really taking over, as well, and it's the devil to get rid of.

I love the chicory flowers that grow along the roadside. I don't think they are invasive, but not much good for anything.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

In war years when coffee was hard to come by, the chicory plant was made into a coffee substitute.

The flowers are perfectly mauve which delights the eye.

Unknown
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I agree, catsumi. The flowers are very pretty. I knew about the coffee, but I'll bet no one uses it nowadays. I don't think chicory counts as a noxious weed, though, so I'm happy to see them.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Chicory is not even a native but was imported to N. America from Euope or Africa about 1750

There are several sites on how to make a coffee flavored brew w/o caffeine using chicory. Here is one:

https://www.roastycoffee.com/chicory-coffee/

Unknown

Return to “North Okanagan”