Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Nooby
Übergod

Re: Gardening: berries, root veggies, flowers, trees - 2020!

Post by Nooby »

bb49 wrote:
Now another plea for advice.
My zucchini are incredibly slow growing. The leaves are huge but the zucchini themselves are adding any size. Same with my Patty pan squash.
Fertilizer issue?

Our yellow zucchini is giant sized. This is the one we pulled off the other day, swear it was the size of a football. More coming along. But can't provide advice since I have no idea what we're doing right and this is the first year we've grown these.

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Nooby wrote:
bb49 wrote:
My zucchini are incredibly slow growing. The leaves are huge but the zucchini themselves are adding any size. Same with my Patty pan squash.
Fertilizer issue?

Our yellow zucchini is giant sized. This is the one we pulled off the other day, swear it was the size of a football. More coming along. But can't provide advice since I have no idea what we're doing right and this is the first year we've grown these.

NOW, eat the first one, and research the best place to store the rest over the Winter. (Cool, dark, and no "pressure points").
Bring back the LIKE button.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

bb49 wrote:Nobody growing radicchio? No wannabe Italians? Oh well, it'll be a wait and see.

As for the rest of our garden, tomatoes are real slow ripening. Is there even a hint of red?
Pole beans. Went out today after not seeing any a couple of days ago and oh my gawd, the vines were loaded, and the beans were all 8 to 12 inches long. How did that happen?

Fertilizer issue?

Normally I have boxes of gorgeous zuc to give away, just not this year. Finally getting some pretty healthy ones after following advice of Dr. Brian Minter who suggests:

1. Lay off with the watering. Stressing plant makes it produce

2. Water little but do not wet leaves = mildew (same for cucs)

3. Lack of pollinators. Take male flower (long stamens) and gently touch to inner portion of female flower.

Never had to take such care before, but is paying off now.

You can listen to Minter's weekly CBC radio programme on the noonhour show.

Hope this helps.

Those big yellow zucs are nice. :biggrin: I grate zucs into colander, add a bit of salt, mix, let drain, then freeze in one cup baggies. Add to cakes and soup in winter. They don't store well or for long due to thinner skin as opposed to Buttercup squash and the like that has a hard shelled skin.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Thanks Cats, I'll back off on the watering.

I picked our Music garlic today, about 40 of them. They sure look good. In a week or two I'll pick the Russian garlic.
My wife is anxiously waiting for the tom season.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Does anyone know where we can get Silverskin Onions for pickling locally
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:Does anyone know where we can get Silverskin Onions for pickling locally

I think, that is too early for them yet.
On-the-other-hand.....
~they are not worth the value of the land and manpower to grow them for the retail market.
~~the weight of the bulb is less than the tops.

Did you try the Farmer's Market?

Good luck, let me know if you find any.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote:Does anyone know where we can get Silverskin Onions for pickling locally

Try Mike's Produce (102-2365 Gordon Drive) https://www.mikesproduce.ca/ but they are closed for the long weekend

Didn't find silverskin but they have white pearl onions https://mikes-produce.myshopify.com/sea ... arl+onions - not sure if you want to sub one variety for another.

Give them a call on Tuesday and they might know where you can find silverskins.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I did a little research out of curiosity and found this,

What are Pearl onions?
Pearl onions are tiny white, dried onions (about 1/2" or less in diameter) used in a variety of stews, soups, and meat dishes. Pearl onions are smaller than boiling onions. These little onions are notoriously difficult to peel. The onions can be find in white, brown or red. In addition to being used in cooking the onions are pickled and sold in jars. This is the traditional garnish for the Gibson cocktail or a substitute for an olive in a martini. Another popular dish using the onion was pearl onions in a cream sauce or pearl onions and green peas.

Where To Buy Pearl Onions
These are typically found in small net bags in the produce section of most well-stocked grocery stores. Some stores sell frozen, peeled onions which are very convenient.
How To Peel Pearl Onions
The easiest peeling method is to drop them into a small pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds then transfer them to a bowl of water with ice. The outer skins will be easier to remove.

Substitute for Pearl onions
If you don't have pearl onions then you can substitute 3/4 cup, chopped white onion per 1/2 cup pearl onions needed.
Alternately, if you need a substitute for a pickled pearl onion for cocktails you can use caperberries.

Equivalents
1 pearl onion = 15g
1 cup pearl onions = 185g
1 2/3 raw medium yellow or white onion = 1 cup (185g) pearl onions

I would recommend that you try the veggie stand "Donna Rays" they might be able to help you and they can even to bring them in for you.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Sudsy, try Superstore - they have small pickling onions which might do the trick
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/F ... 4437001_KG
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Link takes me to their main page and a search just brings up jars of onions

We have ordered from Don O Rays
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Purple grapes fell over - guess it got pretty big. It was hard going but we got them propped back up. In the fall or spring it's getting cut back and we'll have to build a support for it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:Link takes me to their main page and a search just brings up jars of onions

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:Link takes me to their main page and a search just brings up jars of onions

That's great, I do accept cash gratuities. You know where I live.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

alanjh595 wrote:I did a little research out of curiosity and found this,

What are Pearl onions?
Another popular dish using the onion was pearl onions in a cream sauce or pearl onions and green peas.

I would recommend that you try the veggie stand "Donna Rays" they might be able to help you and they can even to bring them in for you.

We were just talking about this yesterday - I used to love the peas and pearl onions mix that (I believe) Green Giant made. Haven't seen them for years. We tried doing this ourselves not long ago but the only pearls we could find were, I thought, way too big.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:You know where I live.

That alone should scare you.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”